Author Topic: Braided line for pike leaders  (Read 7099 times)

Offline Fisher Pol

• Team IceShanty Regular
Braided line for pike leaders
« on: Nov 30, 2009, 08:31 PM »
I was all set to switch to fluoro leaders for pike fishing this year.  Went to Gander to buy some and got talking to the sales guy.  He recommended braided line for leaders.  He said that is what he used because of the smaller diameter for heavier poundage and it was easier to work with.  Any thoughts?

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Braided line for pike leaders
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2009, 08:33 PM »
I would be leery pike have razor sharp teeth and most braids aren't very abraision resistent and the thinner diameters WILL slice your hands up real bad!!  :o (Learned that the hard way!!)

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2009, 08:39 PM »
i use braid on my pike leaders and have never had any problems and def. prefer to use it over steel in clearer water... i used 65 lb last year and that worked great
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:11 PM »
I just use steel leaders. They are cheap and the only way I've lost them is because of snags (yep.) I've never seen line shy pike on my lake, but braided line does work pretty good. However most superlines I have seen do not have great abrasion resistance. A steel leader will last a LONG time. Braided line will fray/cut after a couple rubs against the razor teeth. I would imagine you'd want to replace the line if there is any damage, just like you would with mono.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:14 PM »
DON'T DO IT!

Pike teeth will make quick work of superbraid regardless of its test strength. IMHO, you are better off with mono.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:42 PM »
I have used spiderwire braid and also power pro with no problems.

Just remember to use a sufficient pound test that will stand up to the abuse of the fish.

I use #30 and up.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:52 PM »
 I use Seagaur Fluorocarbon for pike leaders. 50 lb

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2009, 06:20 AM »
this is how i look at the teeth issue and anything besides steel wether it be mono or braid... i fish for pike throughout the summer and winter and always use braid, i have never been bit off in the open water and only once through the ice and that was with mono... if you use steel compared to mono, braid or flouro on the clear water i fish you will catch less and smaller pike (just my observation)... its up to you, but id give it a shot at least once... this topic can really stir up the pot tho so have fun with this thread ;)
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2009, 06:40 AM »
milan boa no-kink...its Titanium shock leader
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2009, 06:55 AM »
milan boa no-kink...its Titanium shock leader

this is what i use also. I have never been bitten off but why take the chance.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2009, 08:30 AM »
Definitely don't do it, worse than mono IMO as well.  Might get lucky a few times, but braid just doesn't hold up well to pike.  I've been bite off regularily by pike when walleye fishing with braid, and have seen fireline, spiderwire stealth and power pro up to even 80 lbs bit off when guiding for pike when some guys have just used their heavy pike gear with no leaders just to catch a few walleye for shore lunch.  Steel, titanium, or heavy flouro is a way way way better choice.  Little itty bitty pike can bite thru 80lb braid like nothing is there, no point loosing a big pike, or any pike, to poor leader material.

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:38 AM »
Flouro or Wire... definitely don't go with mono or braid.

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2009, 02:09 PM »
take a peice of floro, steel, and braid run them against a razor or a knife, something that would simulate a pikes teeth and see what happens. i dont think it would matter what leader your using if your hook is the only thing thats touching the pikes mouth so yes you wont get bitten off with braid or floro but as soon as a pike swallows the bait youll most likely get bitten off. as far as wat lb test line it doesnt matter how many pound test it is for braid or mono it will still cut just the same as it if it  was 4 lb test.
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2009, 03:28 PM »
stick with steel .  I do not pike fish ,But have spent a ton of tin on pickerel ponds and those little buggers can cut through 65 lb super braid like a pair of scissors .   Test your leaders with a pair of scissors and then tell us witch one you like .      If you want to got with the viability issue then go with a thick floro , but with live bait the fish is going to get the hook back deep . Its not like cranking a spinner buy them in the summer and they only get the hooks in there mouth

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2009, 03:43 PM »
Went to Gander to buy some and got talking to the sales guy.  He recommended braided line for leaders.  He said that is what he used because of the smaller diameter for heavier poundage and it was easier to work with.  Any thoughts?

Yeah... My thought is this: That guy is a BOOB  ::)

Braid is the worst thing you can use for a leader. The abrasion resistance against anything, including teeth is very poor. I use both heavy fluoro (50 or 60lb) and steel.

Offline Fisher Pol

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2009, 07:25 PM »
Thanks guys.  I knew you wold have some good insight on this.  I think I am going to try both steel and fluoro this year and log which I get more fish with, size fish, break offs etc.  I will keep you posted with the results.  Now, if it would just get cold enough to make ice I could start my log.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.