Author Topic: Dogs and Ice fishing  (Read 6663 times)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Dogs and Ice fishing
« Reply #30 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:34 PM »
Not hard to understand at all H2.OShaver.  Just having fun with you.   
I feel the same way about some of the kids folks bring with them.
They just turn them loose and they ride their ATVs and snowsleds
in and around the tip-ups/shacks, pulling each other around in the jet sleds, etc.
Their folks come to socialize, and party, and the kids come to ride on the ice.
I go to the lake to enjoy being out there and hopefully catch a few fish.
Some people just don't like dogs.  Some folks just want peace and quiet,
and maybe to catch a fish or two.  Thank goodness it's a large lake.

In all honesty, I leave my retard at home when I want to fish, or if it's too cold,
or if it's glare ice.  He is worse than a little kid (that will never grow up).

I guess I am feeling ornery and just trying to stir things up.  We need to start the
no 10" auger debate, or the no peeing on the ice, or the gas vs electric auger debate,
or .....

MD

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:36 PM »
I'm with you h2. If your dog comes to visit me while I'm in the middle of reting ods are he'll step in my open jig box. The next thing you know he'll have a foot full of trebles and jigs and I'm at fault for being there trying to retie a line. I have a dog myself bu would never let him loose to bother other people or mess around there equipment. Leave em at home and let em wander the yard.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:39 PM »
Not hard to understand at all H2.OShaver.  Just having fun with you.   
I feel the same way about some of the kids folks bring with them.
They just turn them loose and they ride their ATVs and snowsleds
in and around the tip-ups/shacks, pulling each other around in the jet sleds, etc.
Their folks come to socialize, and party, and the kids come to ride on the ice.
I go to the lake to enjoy being out there and hopefully catch a few fish.
Some people just don't like dogs.  Some folks just want peace and quiet,
and maybe to catch a fish or two.  Thank goodness it's a large lake.

In all honesty, I leave my retard at home when I want to fish, or if it's too cold,
or if it's glare ice.  He is worse than a little kid (that will never grow up).

I guess I am feeling ornery and just trying to stir things up.  We need to start the
no 10" auger debate, or the no peeing on the ice, or the gas vs electric auger debate,
or .....

MD
LMAO! If my kids even get near anoter fisherman without permision the might loose there birthday. I teach respect!

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:45 PM »
Maine= I like it ;D
BTW, Ive got the best dog (German Sheppard) in the world

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:02 PM »
What about cat's guys? I've seriously thought about bringing one of my girlfriends cats out with me but I'd feel horrible if something were to happen to one of them.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:07 PM »
What about cat's guys? I've seriously thought about bringing one of my girlfriends cats out with me but I'd feel horrible if something were to happen to one of them.

Like getting eaten by a herd of rampaging dogs!!!!!     ;D

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:11 PM »
Like getting eaten by a herd of rampaging dogs!!!!!     ;D

Yes that would definitely suck. But a bald eagle coming in from 2 miles up... ;)

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:11 PM »
two's a crowd for me!!!!!!!!!!!!(i have two !!!)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:20 PM »
Two years ago some folks (and I use this term loosely) took their less than 3 month old puppy on the lake.  Well, several hours later there was a frantic search, and it was never found.  Tracks were found leading up to a hole.  Folks theorized about an eagle.  The owner's kids were crying, the Mrs. was crying.  The Mr. was very red faced.  It was not a happy situation.  I and others were mad as hell at those folks.  It wasn't the dog's fault the owner's were too stupid think twice, or more responsible to not let that puppy off lease or even let it out of their truck.  Needless to say, my wife and I were saddened, and angry, but it's a small community, and we have to watch what we say and how we act. 
So, I must agree with the the general thread, dogs really don't belong out on the ice, at least not my shorthaired wiener.  That poor little black lab puppy didn't belong on the ice.
He deserved better.

Have you read the thread about the black lab diving down a hole, swimming after fish?  Eventually it too met it's end doing this activity.  I don't know if this is urban legend, or not but my first reaction is, why did the owner allow this activity to take place?  Did he dive in afterward when his dog didn't surface?

We need 12" augers!

MD

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Nov 19, 2009, 01:50 AM »
By all means bring the cats.......they make great bait.

I'd rather see families with kids and dogs than the drunk adults I run into all too often.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #40 on: Nov 19, 2009, 01:55 AM »
I say bring the pups!  BUT if they're unruly, keep them under wraps.  My boy used to steal others fish and bring them back to me... BAD DOG!  Now he's too old to mess around with other folks fish.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #41 on: Nov 19, 2009, 02:09 AM »
Maine= I like it ;D
BTW, Ive got the best dog (German Sheppard) in the world

Yea...I love those Shepard's myself. I grew up with one, I was 8 yrs. old when we got her and was 20 yrs. old when we had to have her put down ( She had hip displaisia and got so she couldn't even stand anymore)...had to carry her out to go potty and carry her back inside. Kept her food and water right close by her on her remaining months. The most loyal and loving dog I ever knew....Wish she was still here.....KELLY...I miss you still.... :(...WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 19, 2009, 06:06 AM »
I think if people just used there better judgement this wouldn't be an issue. Don't bring them out on glare ice. Don't bring them out if they don't mind you. Don't bring them out if they are a threat to others. Be aware of your equipment and what may hurt your pup. I think some of the users actually learned a lil something reading this thread, I know I did. The problem is. It seems like some using there better judgement is easier said than done.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 19, 2009, 08:47 AM »
In the photos shown in this thread, I see people who deserve to own dogs. I see the blanket, the booties, the vest, etc................... .These are the people who take care of their dogs. Too bad everyone who takes a dog out doesn't do this. It's nice to see tho, these type of owners aren't the problem.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #44 on: Nov 19, 2009, 02:05 PM »
i bring my beagle sometimes she minds well so im ok with her going the only problem i have is when she gets cold and she kicks me out of my shanty so she can lay down
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #45 on: Nov 19, 2009, 02:06 PM »
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  i didn't think the pic was going to be that big       ???
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline zooplankton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 19, 2009, 04:40 PM »
I'll say this about "DOGS ON ICE" they are fun to watch and a great companion
but when fishing in shallow water (5'-10') they do have an effect on fishing
(and not catching) I've seen it first hand numerous times, the fish will be bitting
and as soon as MUTTLY  comes tromping around the holes, the fish get lock-jawl
as with anytime there becomes to much activity "TOP SIDE" (including us).

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #47 on: Nov 19, 2009, 04:44 PM »
Combsey,
My last and best family pet/hunting dog was a beagle. They're just the best dogs there are. Who can resist that face. Miss Beasley was a good hunter as well. Birds and bunnies.

Man that pic makes me miss her :-\

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jmh58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Nov 19, 2009, 04:51 PM »
i bring my beagle sometimes she minds well so im ok with her going the only problem i have is when she gets cold and she kicks me out of my shanty so she can lay down(Image removed from quote.)
Those beagles should be chasing bunnies!!! Good looking hounds you got there!! I am a beagler also..John
A great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!  Lookee there....I got a bite!!

Offline zooplankton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Nov 19, 2009, 04:57 PM »
Those beagles should be chasing bunnies!!! Good looking hounds you got there!! I am a beagler also..John

Combsey, Those beauty's could fish with me anyday.......... Zoo.

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Nov 19, 2009, 05:04 PM »
dogs are a lot like people some people belong on the ice some dont.
same with dogs. i think its up to the owners to know thier pets.
i love dogs. a well behaved and enthusiastic dog is welcome near me.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #51 on: Nov 19, 2009, 05:23 PM »
dog owner..choc lab and golden..

I have no problems with dogs on ice!! 

i have problems with OWNERS who want to parade thier dog all around and when you hollar "hey, you wanna call muttley back" and they respond " she's okay ...real friendly"...
Obviously it is not okay and i am NOT real friendly!!  If you do take your dogs please keep in mind there are some of us that dont want them by us! i have found muttly running around with my tip ups, tipping minnow buckets and had food swiped from my sled...NICE
Yet they yell at me as i drill poochie with a football to get my tip up back and to keep the pup from munching a treble.
well mannered ..no prob!
but if you can't keep him away from me i'll make sure its an unpleasant visit so he won't want to return. no harm ..just real stinky!!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline keng52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Nov 20, 2009, 09:45 AM »
If I wanted canine companionship on the ice, I would bring my own dog. I guess what I mean is that it is just fine as long as the dog stays with his owner and doesn't bother anyone else.

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Nov 20, 2009, 11:12 AM »
I agree with most everything said. I do have a dog but she is leashed always. I love other dogs too but I'll come to you to see your dog if I want to.
    For those that are adamant about "no dogs" I put this to you.
   I would hazard a guess that you've had more bad experiences on the ice with humans than you ever have or will with dogs.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #54 on: Nov 20, 2009, 11:22 AM »
I have a dog and love dogs but I guess I have to agree with a lot other people here. If a dog is well kept and under control I don't mind. Raising his leg and peeing on my tipups or Fishtrap. Jumping up and scratching my truck is over the edge and has all happened. And I'm sorry that's where I draw the line. Fin

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #55 on: Nov 20, 2009, 11:40 AM »
one more thing i did have somebodys dog come up and lift is leg and pee right in to my otter sled with my stuff in it, stupid dog, but all i could do is laugh ;D

I had the same thing to me except he got it right in an open bag of chips :sick:
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 20, 2009, 02:11 PM »
I have no problem with people that bring their dog with them as long as they stay away from my area.  It does get me a bit fired up when one comes over and lifts his leg on my Fish Trap or jig pole or auger or such..
Shut up and fish.

Offline thorzep

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • when i last saw you i was just a learner, but now i am the master
« Reply #57 on: Nov 20, 2009, 02:13 PM »
i dont mind em, most people that have them are way more concerned about there dogs bothering me than i am.
                                                                                                    Thors icefishing stats:  nothing   yet!!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #58 on: Nov 20, 2009, 02:57 PM »
dog owner..choc lab and golden..

I have no problems with dogs on ice!! 

i have problems with OWNERS who want to parade thier dog all around and when you hollar "hey, you wanna call muttley back" and they respond " she's okay ...real friendly"...
Obviously it is not okay and i am NOT real friendly!!  If you do take your dogs please keep in mind there are some of us that dont want them by us! i have found muttly running around with my tip ups, tipping minnow buckets and had food swiped from my sled...NICE
Yet they yell at me as i drill poochie with a football to get my tip up back and to keep the pup from munching a treble.
well mannered ..no prob!
but if you can't keep him away from me i'll make sure its an unpleasant visit so he won't want to return. no harm ..just real stinky!!
Well said, I 2nd...and if someones dog came over to me and decided to do his duty in,on or around my stuff it would be more than a snowball upside his head 'cause to me it's not cute and I'd bet I was'nt his first victim...keep them with you. Not to mention I had a terrifying and costly encounter with a dog a number of years back , so to me,none of them are nice and friendly
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline MaxAntonious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Nov 20, 2009, 03:30 PM »
i bring my beagle sometimes she minds well so im ok with her going the only problem i have is when she gets cold and she kicks me out of my shanty so she can lay down

Those are some fine looking dogs you have there.  This is my Beagle/Chihuahua mix... yea... I know, its a weird combination.

You can blame my wife for the cloths.  ::)
Fish Hard or Go Home

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.