Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Gearcor | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Oct 31, 2014, 03:04 AM
Support Iceshanty...
Get some great gear and forum goodies...
Join The Iceshanty Militia

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?

Author Topic: Dogs and Ice fishing  (Read 3364 times)

diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict

Dogs and Ice fishing
« on: Nov 17, 2009, 08:23 PM »
what do you guys think of people that bring there dogs out fishing with them. i don't care if they do, cause i do, but when i do the people around me seem mad. whats your guys opinion?

Kevin23

• IceShantyholic

Re: Dogs and Ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2009, 08:24 PM »
As long as the dog is comfortable, trained, and not peeing on my bucket... Its fine by me!
"Fishing" with tip-ups is like "hunting" with a snare!

diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2009, 08:33 PM »
one more thing i did have somebodys dog come up and lift is leg and pee right in to my otter sled with my stuff in it, stupid dog, but all i could do is laugh ;D

Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• My shanty still needs a toilet
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2009, 09:00 PM »
I don't mind the dogs one bit, as long as they aren't trained to steal my panfish :'(

Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2009, 09:19 PM »
one more thing i did have somebodys dog come up and lift is leg and pee right in to my otter sled with my stuff in it, stupid dog, but all i could do is laugh ;D

Should have returned the favor.

Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2009, 09:49 PM »
Dogs are a pain!!!!! Especially the one on the right by the chair!!!!    ;D
Everyone has a dog up here!!! Fishing at my friends place there can be a gang of 15 or more dogs running around the place. Good thing is they usually just play together and leave us alone because it would really suck to have 15 dogs running through my setup!!!    :woot:

dk_kon

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:51 AM »

Had the same thing happen to me last season.  I was angry for 2 seconds, then i went back to jigging.

murphrem

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Benny
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:31 AM »
We bring our 2 goldens all the time. It's hard enough to get them the exercise they need during our daily routine. To leave them home when we're out all day enjoying the outdoors I think would just be cruel. If the conditions aren't dog friendly, my wife will just bring them home.

Curley

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:39 AM »
I generally don't mind dogs, I'm a dogless dog man. Just be carfull on slick ice. A friends dog splayed out on the ice and tore tendons in her crotch.

scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:56 AM »
Hmmm, lets see... dogs, sometimes slippery conditions, hooks, other people, kids...sure sounds like a perfect enviroment for an animal to run loose in. And I'm talking about pets, not working/hunting dogs.

They have leash laws for a reason and most of them are to protect dogs from their owners IMO.

Not a dog hater, but hate to see people subject their animals to conditions and enviroments that they are not use to or animals that are not socialized.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2009, 05:07 AM »
Mine stay home.  One is old and has had knee surgeries, the other is way out of control.  She has too much energy and would be bothering me and others on the ice.  Both of them are house/hunting dogs, and are not accustomed to being out in the winter conditions.  My wife is always after me to take them to get them out of the house and burn some energy.  I prefer just to play fetch with them before and after I go fishing, and leave them at home. 

Bottom line I don't take my bothersome dogs, so I expect the same.  If your dog is good on the ice fine, but it better not be bothering me or I will say something.

Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2009, 05:19 AM »
I am a dog owner
Ice conditions, wind and temperatures would be the big factor's, I would hate to see any animal on clear ice without snow covering, they would end up with pulled mussels and tendants, slush on the ice there feet would freeze up....sometimes I think its better to leave them home no matter how hard it is for you thinking they would like to be out running around and getting exercise.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2009, 06:06 AM »
I am a dog owner
Ice conditions, wind and temperatures would be the big factor's, I would hate to see any animal on clear ice without snow covering, they would end up with pulled mussels and tendants, slush on the ice there feet would freeze up....sometimes I think its better to leave them home no matter how hard it is for you thinking they would like to be out running around and getting exercise.
I`m with Thumbar on this, I have always had dawgs ,parents bred boxers, I own Rotties.
Wouldn`t take em out on the ice. Big dawgs aren`t meant to be on the ice. Chance for hip problems. Dawgs pads are not meant to be on snow long,term,never mind ice. You walk around without yer Stabilicers or creepers,etc. on glare ice. You know how yer muscles take a beating. Dawgs look to thier owners to take care of them,because they aren`t smart enuff. Plus my dawgs are always overfriendly and would visit everyone. Some people freak when a 120# Rott pads over to em demanding to be patted. My dawgs are walked twice a day ,everyday , with few exceptions , so they have always had much needed exercise. Also no one needs a steaming Rottie mountain plopped next to thier set.
BTW Drifter, nice looking animal there, looks intent on that fishing hole.

knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2009, 06:20 AM »
some days their great, other days their relieving themselves on your equipment, setting your flags off, trying to steal your food when you go out to your flag and so on. recently i had to put wilbur (yellow lab) down, he was 21 and life was getting really hard for him, wish he was around so he could bug me on the ice this season.

Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2009, 06:25 AM »
I think as long as they are well behaved no problem, but it is a dangerous place for them to be. We had a friend stop out to see us and had his Boxer, a well behaved friendly dog, and she got to running around and a couple kids were throwing her snowballs then she ran into an auger that someone didn't put the blade cover back on. She almost lost a toe 8 stitches and a $500 emergency vet clinic visit on a sunday. Luckily a buddie tore his under shirt and I had electrical tape because we couldn't get the bleeding to stop. A friends German Shorthair had problems with pulled muscles and torn tendons on glare ice before also. I have these guys, 9 month old Gordon Setters and I personally don't think I would expose them to the possability of being hurt like that. My wife and I don't have kids so they are like our children and I hate to see them hurt, just like kids you feel helpless when something is wrong and unlike kids they can't tell you whats wrong to help them.

stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular

• In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2009, 06:49 AM »
I have no problems with a dog on the ice. I like to have a distraction once in while.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

MaxAntonious

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:25 AM »
I love dogs and don't mind them at all as long as they are not barking for hours on end or biting people.

If someone has to warn you "careful, my dog bites" then it shouldn't be out on the ice were there are a bunch of people.
Fish Hard or Go Home

yog

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:35 AM »
the only dogs i want to see on the ice are coyotes, i fish a huge lake with no houses and nothing but miles of woods around it, so me and a few other guys take rifles and hunt the yotes that run the shore lines, as for a dog wizzing on my stuff, i think it would turn out bad. :tipup:

sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:54 AM »
I think it is great to get the dogs outside and running arround to burn up some energy..they need that. But I don't want to have someones dog bothering us and knocking over gear or taking a leake on any of my stuff.

Bottom line...If they are going to run lose and bother other fishermen then leave them at home.

skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:01 AM »
I love dogs and have 2 Labs myself.I don't mind dogs being the ice as long as they stay with thier owners and are'nt running all over the place messing with other fishermen and pissing on tip ups and such...

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Gearcor | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved