Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Jul 30, 2014, 03:04 AM
Team Iceshanty Mock T's
Full chest logo/iceshanty.com printed down the sleeve.
Iceshanty Proshop

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?

Author Topic: cabelas trans alaska 3 pac boot  (Read 2351 times)

holeman

• Team IceShanty Regular

cabelas trans alaska 3 pac boot
« on: Oct 31, 2009, 04:27 AM »
Does anyone have these?If so how do you like them and will the cuf of ice armor bibs zip over them?I bought some Bafflins last year and could not zip the leg over them.Had to retern them.
Part man ,part penguin, all fisherman.

JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Go Go Get Em!
Re: cabelas trans alaska 3 pac boot
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2009, 07:11 AM »
I have a pair but the camo / gore-tex ones. I like them for dry / snowy cold days. They are big though and a little awkwards walking in till you get used to them. Nice boots for sure. Your feet are plenty high off the ice, never needed any heat pacs either.

I've had mine for several years now. They aren't water proof anymore and the bottom molding is starting to separate apart. I'll just glue them to get me through this year.

They are big so it is hard to find creepers for them. I take a size 10 boot and needed to get XXL stablicers to fit.

The top part isn't bulky so they should fit under your bibs (mine fit under mine) with the zip closed but I don't have ice armor so not positive. The bulk is in the foot bed.

Nice boots overall and I would get another pair but you still need to get different pair (rubber type) for wet weather. These will leak.

JIGGIN.

Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2009, 08:31 AM »
My story is much the same as jiggin69 including boot size.

Don't have any separation and a couple of times a season I'll apply bee's wax and camp dry for water proofing. So far my feet have stayed dry even in slush and standing water.

My ice armor bibs fit over the top of the boots. In fact, have to cinch up the leg straps a little.

Best boots I've ever owned.

dc

zackdecker@ymail.com

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2009, 01:48 PM »
I just have some $40 boots from a sporting goods store rated for -25 degrees I think and they do their job.  Work great ;D

rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • IceShantyholic

• Colin's latest snowball
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2009, 03:04 PM »

I've had my Trans Alaska II boots a loooong time. No problems with water, slush, cold or comfort walking. They do break in.

RG
"Last words are for those fools who believe they have not yet said enough...."

jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2009, 03:10 PM »
I just have some $40 boots from a sporting goods store rated for -25 degrees I think and they do their job.  Work great ;D
come on up here! guarenteed you wouldnt last a hr. out in the open at 20f on our ice and if you had a shelter, would spend all day inside trying to keep your feet warm! -100f rated or nothing baby!
FISH HARDWATER OR DIE TRYING!!!

TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Beaver Dam's were made for 10" holes.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2009, 05:27 PM »

I think a lot of guys confuse this cold rating system on boots.  The ratings are for if you are actively walking in those temperatures, not sitting still.  If you want to keep warm feet in the winter and you aren't moving around much, you need a boot that is rated much colder than what temperatures you normally see.  I use a -80 rated boot, but only because I didn't want to spend 200 bucks on boots, back when I bought these, -100 rated boots were pretty pricey, maybe they've come down in the years since.  I've only had cold feet once, and that was because I got them wet, walking around in some slush and water spilled over the waterproof section of the boot.  Another thing is buying them big, a -100 boot that is tight will not keep your feet warm.

mbart

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2009, 08:10 PM »
rgfixit, what size screw did you use? Just can't bring myself to do it on my preadator's.

zackdecker@ymail.com

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2009, 10:47 PM »
come on up here! guarenteed you wouldnt last a hr. out in the open at 20f on our ice and if you had a shelter, would spend all day inside trying to keep your feet warm! -100f rated or nothing baby!
Went out on a Canadian trip last year and spent the whole day outside in -10 degree weather.  Feet were warm as could be.  Maybe your just a wuss! :woot: I almost never buy Cabela's branded things, they are copies of what other companies have made and they raise the price just because they put their name on it.

rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • IceShantyholic

« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2009, 01:47 AM »
rgfixit, what size screw did you use? Just can't bring myself to do it on my preadator's.
I think they are #8 x 3/8". I will never put another pair of cleats on my feet.

RG

rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • IceShantyholic

« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2009, 01:57 AM »
Went out on a Canadian trip last year and spent the whole day outside in -10 degree weather.  Feet were warm as could be.  Maybe your just a wuss! :woot: I almost never buy Cabela's branded things, they are copies of what other companies have made and they raise the price just because they put their name on it.
I can't recall ever hearing anyone complain about a cabela's product. Their stuff seems to be designed by them. Does another manufacturer make a boot like the Trans Alaska?  I'd like to take a look at them.

RG

icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • IceShantyholic

• TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2009, 06:57 AM »
to answer both your questions...I own the boots, and they are the best boots I have yet to wear on the ice...I also wear an ice armour suit (size L) and yep the cuffs fit over it no problem

holeman

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2009, 07:43 AM »
thanks to everyone so far.
Part man ,part penguin, all fisherman.

Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2009, 07:53 AM »

I work outside everyday and have tried several brands of cheap pack boots in the last 20 years. Most of the time you get what you pay for. The only exception I've found is the Mickey boot. They are a warm boot for the price, but are heavy, have no arch support and hurt my feet after wearing them a couple of day in a row. The thing with Mickey's is you have to wear socks that wick moisture away from your skin because the boots don't breath. Also a good idea if you do the sock laundry and air dry boots outside if there is a woman around you wish to keep.

Don't care who makes the boot as long as my feet stay warm and they don't hurt my feet. Sons tell me the only reason I wear the Trans Alaskans is because I can see them eye to eye again. :'(

I expect when their feet quit growing, they will be wearing TA's as well. 

dc

CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2009, 08:09 AM »
I think they are #8 x 3/8". I will never put another pair of cleats on my feet.

RG
Great tip I used them last year and never used my bulky cleats again thanks again

zackdecker@ymail.com

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2009, 09:11 AM »
I can't recall ever hearing anyone complain about a cabela's product. Their stuff seems to be designed by them. Does another manufacturer make a boot like the Trans Alaska?  I'd like to take a look at them.

RG
Just look around, there are probably boots just as good for a cheaper price.  This is just one example is most of their combos look exactly the same as BPS combos but have different colors. ??? What a coincidence, not really.  I'm not saying they don't have just reels and things from quantum for the same price just their branded items and I'm not saying their bad either.  They just raise the price when there is another thing out there for a cheaper price.

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved