Author Topic: Best Ice fishing Boots?  (Read 21331 times)

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
Re: Best Ice fishing Boots?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 07, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Mickey mouse boots with Stabilicers work well for me.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #31 on: Oct 07, 2009, 08:32 PM »
I'll get back on my soapbox.  The right boot all depends on how you fish.  There's one boot for a guy that is walking and moving a lot and there is another boot for a guy that sits still.  I have a pair of Lacrosse Ice Kings that are probably the warmest boot I've ever owned, but I wouldn't want to walk very far in them.  Heavy, bulky and no ankle support to speak of.  I also have a pair of Rocky Blizzards.  Fantastic boots to keep you warm and easy to walk in. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:09 PM »
I'll get back on my soapbox.  The right boot all depends on how you fish.  There's one boot for a guy that is walking and moving a lot and there is another boot for a guy that sits still.  I have a pair of Lacrosse Ice Kings that are probably the warmest boot I've ever owned, but I wouldn't want to walk very far in them.  Heavy, bulky and no ankle support to speak of.  I also have a pair of Rocky Blizzards.  Fantastic boots to keep you warm and easy to walk in. 

Mee toooo! If I walk too much in my Lacrosse, my hips get sore as hell from walking funny. I have size 14 feet, the outside of these boots is more like size 35! It is like wearing snow shoes. A guy has gotta have a pair, but I ain't wearing mine unless it is dang cold!

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Oct 07, 2009, 10:57 PM »
My LaCrosse Ice Kings are great if I am going to be mostly stationary tip up fishing for the day because of the weight. I also use a pair of Cabelas 2000 gram waterproof boots and they have been working out - light weight and warm for a fun day of run and gun. I would like to get a pair of the Mickeys to add to my collection, but haven't found a decent pair yet.

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Oct 07, 2009, 11:04 PM »
Go to Fleet farm for the Mickeys. I got a brand new pair of bata micky boots for like 40 bucks last fall.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 08, 2009, 12:32 AM »
sorels definately. mine keep my feet comfortably warm even when they are wet, and when they are dry i sometimes have to take them off to keep from overheating. ;D

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #36 on: Oct 08, 2009, 04:24 AM »
Doesnt water go right through the material of those kind of boots?
No!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 08, 2009, 04:48 AM »
Boots? You don't need no stinkin' boots. I just strap some sneakers onto the stump of where my foot used to be, before the frostbite.

But if you gotta have the best, Sorels. I used to own a pair before I had kids.
Now, I can't afford the best so I wear Columbia Bugabootres, light and warm.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #38 on: Oct 08, 2009, 05:19 AM »
Boots? You don't need no stinkin' boots. I just strap some sneakers onto the stump of where my foot used to be, before the frostbite.

Now that's funny ;D ;D ;D
What I have learned on all the post about boots is, most men haven't even saw a good boot! They find a pair of boots when they need too and buy the first one they can afford. The mickey mouse boots are readily available so this seams to be the choice of most. As far a technology is concerned, there are far better boots out there if a person is willing too look. Of course you can't find the good boots everywhere because of the price. Most stores only carry the inexpensive type, so that's what most are familiar with. I have fished for thirty five years, and during that time I have only used four different boots. It takes awhile too wear out a pair of boots. Think about how old your mickeys are? All I'm saying is, check into the more modern materials before you stick your foot into an antique boot. Even if it is only a stump! ::)
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #39 on: Oct 08, 2009, 06:25 AM »
I use these if it's not below about 10 (early ice), or if I know I will be doing a lot of walking (not too often).  Otherwise it's the Cabelas Transalaskans
High-quality thinsulate hiking boots with Stabilicer over-boots.  Works great, comfortable, warm and no-slip easy walking.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 08, 2009, 06:56 AM »
baffin impact boots. -150f rated!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Oct 08, 2009, 08:12 AM »
Now that's funny ;D ;D ;D
What I have learned on all the post about boots is, most men haven't even saw a good boot! They find a pair of boots when they need too and buy the first one they can afford. The mickey mouse boots are readily available so this seams to be the choice of most. As far a technology is concerned, there are far better boots out there if a person is willing too look. Of course you can't find the good boots everywhere because of the price. Most stores only carry the inexpensive type, so that's what most are familiar with. I have fished for thirty five years, and during that time I have only used four different boots. It takes awhile too wear out a pair of boots. Think about how old your mickeys are? All I'm saying is, check into the more modern materials before you stick your foot into an antique boot. Even if it is only a stump! ::)

I agree with you on that..  and If I lived futher north where there is ice for more then a cpl months it might be to my benifit to go out and spend a couple hundred $$ on a pair of "good" boots.   But here in NW Pa we don't have the extreme temperatures that some of you do and our season is short.  I purchased a pair of "antique" Mickeys for around $40.00.  This will be the third season for them and my feet have never been cold or wet.  Yes, they are bulky and I'm sure there are much better boots But IMO you can't beat mickeys for the price. They keep my feet dry and warm and thats all I need them to do.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Oct 08, 2009, 08:31 AM »
One thing with the mickeys is that you dont want to buy them two sizes big, and make sure they are not dry rotted when you buy them. I have friends who have purchased a "bad" pair, make sure that you look at them before buying . They are bulky ,but  most people probably don't need a wide either. I wear an 11.5" W in a tennis shoe and my mickey's are 11R, just big enough to be able to wear one good pair of Cabelas merino wool/hybrid socks and my feet don't slide around in them, even when not tied. I am sure there are other great boots out there that are probably better, and i usually buy top notch gear for fishing and hunting, but have yet to be let down with mine.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline fisherhahn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Oct 08, 2009, 06:51 PM »
Anyone esle wear Georgia Boot Ice Treckers?  They're made from boar hide so they are super tough.  Not clunky at all so if you need to walk a ways to your spots it's no problem.  We regularly walk out 2 miles or more on Lake Erie. I can walk in the slush all day and not get wet or cold.  They have spikes that screw right into the bottom so no need for extra cleats.  I've had mine for 9 years and will probably have them for 9 more.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Oct 08, 2009, 07:52 PM »
I go along with RG on the Cabelas Trans Alaskas.  They are the greatest.  Studded like RG recommends - they are absolutely unbeatable.
I'm on my 6th season with these boots. They show no sign of wear.  They're waterproof and so warm you forget about your feet....period. The sole is a perfect design for walking. They're  light and easy on / off. They are well designed and backed by Cabelas no worry's policy. At $179, they're a deal.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #45 on: Oct 08, 2009, 09:17 PM »
With the MM boots, I go with light cotton socks.  Military OD (olive drab) green cotten socks work.  Don't wear thick wool socks - this is overkill and your arch supports will kill you.  Also, tuck your pants legs into the MM tops (in the military terms, "blouse" your pant legs) to prevent the rubber cuffs from rubbing on your shin bones.

I've served in extended harsh arctic military conditions with the above setup and can personally vouch for this. I've also ice fished in the lower 48 and have never had cold feet.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #46 on: Oct 09, 2009, 08:08 AM »
I'm on my 6th season with these boots. They show no sign of wear.  They're waterproof and so warm you forget about your feet....period. The sole is a perfect design for walking. They're  light and easy on / off. They are well designed and backed by Cabelas no worry's policy. At $179, they're a deal.
RG

Still wearing same Trans Alaskans I bought in the late 90's. Good dousing of bee's wax a couple of times a season ensures waterproofing. My feet have thanked me ever since.

dc

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Oct 09, 2009, 08:22 AM »
My quarterly post.....
(Image removed from quote.)

Cabelas Trans Alaskas.

RG

Trans Alaskans are hard to beat...

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #48 on: Oct 09, 2009, 08:23 AM »
I laugh at the ratings they put on boots. I wish I could of had all the boots mentioned in this thread to test last January. I got to fish in -49 temps. I had some cabelas 2000 gram thinsulite boots but they were way too cold on my feet in these temps.  I pulled out my old Mickey Mouse boots and feet warmed right away. They are however alot heavier than most boots but I wasn't hole bustin and hopping like I usually do. My buddy had on a rubber boot with thick insole that had a rating of -135........he gave it a rating of -25. Had to throw in hot shots to keep from freezing.
I realize most don't fish at these temps :blink:

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #49 on: Oct 09, 2009, 08:24 AM »
So for those that put studs i their boots,,,,im assuming that from that point on they are dedicated ice fishing boots?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #50 on: Oct 09, 2009, 01:11 PM »
So for those that put studs i their boots,,,,im assuming that from that point on they are dedicated ice fishing boots?

Pretty much - but then, I don't know of any other purpose my Cabelas Transalaskas could serve, that the studs would interfere with.  Big thing is I don't where them anywhere but out of doors; i.e. no driving, no restaurants, bait shops, etc.  I like a nice comfy moccasin for that anyways.  :)

Offline FLYING TIGER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Oct 09, 2009, 04:15 PM »
my boots are baffin made in canada
love paying taxes to the state thanks for asking

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #52 on: Oct 09, 2009, 04:27 PM »
The best ones I ever had were like the Mickeys but were called the Bristol Boot.
Rubber inside and out and not as "fat" as the Mickeys.

Think Polypropylene and wool no matter what boot you wear and don't pinch your feet!

gd
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline newberry kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Oct 09, 2009, 04:32 PM »
Ive benn on the ice for 35 years + and I always used the Micky Mouse white / black boots . They are water proof and very warm ! I dont even half to blow them up , they are warm enough without the air!

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Oct 09, 2009, 09:27 PM »
Ive benn on the ice for 35 years + and I always used the Micky Mouse white / black boots . They are water proof and very warm ! I dont even half to blow them up , they are warm enough without the air!
The air isn't to keep your feet warm,the valves are to release air pressure for when jumping out of planes.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Oct 09, 2009, 09:32 PM »
The air isn't to keep your feet warm,the valves are to release air pressure for when jumping out of planes.
Keep the valve closed.  no need for it on the ice and you don't want to chance getting water in there..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.