The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: More to the 46" Pike story  (Read 5165 times)

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
Re: More to the 46" Pike story
« Reply #30 on: Mar 25, 2009, 04:38 PM »
maybe instead of 46...it's 36?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Keepah; Your math and mine are in agreement, that fish is around 36"! ::) ::)

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 25, 2009, 04:49 PM »
I have a large hand and my index finger is only .75 inches across .  I took the pic and cut and paisted his index finger over the length of the fish . I count 43 fingers long  43x.75= 32.25 inches .    That guy would have to have fingers bigger then my thumbs for it to be 46 inches .  Are you sure on the measurement ? those traps are not real big .   even at 36 inches it would be over 30lbs with a 29 inch girth .

(Image removed from quote.)
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Hey Gasblaster; awesome calculation, now continue the finger method across the width of the fish to check viability of girth measurement which is most important in these fish/weight formulas!

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 25, 2009, 04:54 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Keepah; Your math and mine are in agreement, that fish is around 36"! ::) ::)

well, i just wanna say im not tryin to down the fish or the guy that caught it. and lots of pictures don't do big fish any justice. the fish in question is curved in torward the person holding it.....but from what i see in the picture, that fish is not 40+ pounds. and i think 36 inches is more accurate. but i could be wrong.
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Mar 25, 2009, 05:36 PM »
OK so let't get real now, please revisit JoeyButtas post dated 3/11/09 entitled; "Finally one over 20 lbs." Please check out a legitamate Pike over 20lbs, someone please help me cut and paste JoeyButtas fish next to this one and then you be the judge! 8)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 25, 2009, 06:12 PM »
O.K. boyz - let me give this one more shot all finger measurements aside and then I'm done. ;D  Is there anybody that thinks that Joe would be willing to stake his reputation and credibility on the measurement of the fish, especially since by his own admission, he wasn't even there if he wasn't 100% sure of said measurement?  Think about it and think about what you are essentially all suggesting........

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #35 on: Mar 25, 2009, 06:20 PM »
O.K. boyz - let me give this one more shot all finger measurements aside and then I'm done. ;D  Is there anybody that thinks that Joe would be willing to stake his reputation and credibility on the measurement of the fish, especially since by his own admission, he wasn't even there if he wasn't 100% sure of said measurement?  Think about it and think about what you are essentially all suggesting........
Well said!!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 25, 2009, 06:57 PM »

I just thought of a way to estimate the size of a fish with a photo edit . It is no way intended to be a shot and anyones credibility or reputation . If its going to start something I'll just take it down . 

Its also not meant to take anything away from that great fish  . Bigger then anything must of us have caught for sure .     

Not meant as a dig towards you GB - you are a class act from what I can tell on here.  Simply trying to point out that Joe wouldn't say it for the world to see if his sources weren't 100% relaible is all.  I for one take their length measurement at face value, the weight we'll never know for sure. :-\

Offline troutnstout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 25, 2009, 07:12 PM »
What happened to the picture that GasBlaster posted with the finger measurements over that pike? 

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #38 on: Mar 25, 2009, 07:21 PM »
Here's the 45" Northern in my signature photo that wasn't released.
It went 45" exactly and I know the girth measurement exactly.
Take a guess at it's weight? ;D

Before or after the blood-letting?

Offline bbpinecone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 25, 2009, 07:45 PM »
Joe originally posted it a week or two ago.  All I'm saying is I trust these guys measuring abilities enough for them to know what the length of that particular trap is with the flag up plus a dollar bill compared against a tape measure.  People may dispute 40# if you want, but there is NO disputing 20# at 46" I promise you. :tipup:  Somewhere in between is the answer. ;D

Yup.  Like Joe, I didn't see the fish measured, but I did see with my own eyes the trap in question against the tape.  It was 40 inches.  And if he said it took a dollar bill beyond that to reach the end of that alligator, I believe him.  This guy has caught and measured more fish (for work and for pleasure) than I will probably ever touch in a lifetime.  Besides he didn't even catch it - his client did, so he 'has no dog in the fight'...  I have no idea what it weighed, but have no doubt it was ~46 inches long... 

This wouldn't even be a debate if the fella in the picture was holding it three feet in front of him, like most of the pictures you see posted.  I hope somebody catches it and takes it home in the next few days to put it to rest!  (Besides, that cow must be FULL of eggs...  >:D )   

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 25, 2009, 11:34 PM »
This wouldn't even be a debate if the fella in the picture was holding it three feet in front of him, like most of the pictures you see posted.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:...................... ....Whadaya mean?...................

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #41 on: Mar 26, 2009, 05:23 AM »
Hey guys............don't get all worked up over this one at all.  Not worth it.  I was just looking for suggestions concerning actual weight.  Like, if you caught a 40" fish that was really fat............it weighed "x".  Thats all.   The length is no doubt not to be questioned, as it was checked, doubled checked, and then checked again on the ice because they wanted to be sure to get it right. 
You guys can measure with your fingers, cut and paste, and photoshop all you want, but it doesn't mean squat unless both pictures  are taken the exact same distance from the camera. 

So how much did that 45" fish weigh before it spilled all that blood?? 

Offline bbpinecone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 26, 2009, 09:08 AM »
where does a guy like that get his gloves ?

Right here...

Seriously though GasBlaster - those are the funniest pictures I've seen in a long time!  You should be on a CSI team!  :D

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #43 on: Mar 26, 2009, 11:21 AM »
again......the pike in the thread from pikehater titled "pikehater went pikefishing" is a BIGGER FISH then the one in this picture.  I know all about holding fish closer to the camera and I agree that picture most likely does that fish no justice. but please take a look at that other pike out of the andro.  If someone could repost that picture I think we could all get a better perspective.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #44 on: Mar 26, 2009, 11:58 AM »
again......the pike in the thread from pikehater titled "pikehater went pikefishing" is a BIGGER FISH then the one in this picture.  I know all about holding fish closer to the camera and I agree that picture most likely does that fish no justice. but please take a look at that other pike out of the andro.  If someone could repost that picture I think we could all get a better perspective.

This one was measured with a tape at 43"
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=112861.0

It looks WAYYYYY bigger then this 46 incher 

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 26, 2009, 12:54 PM »

The striper is 43"  :-\

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 26, 2009, 01:24 PM »
Or how about these two.  One is 19 1/2# and one is 23 1/2#.  Which one is which and no breast jokes please ;D  Guys, pics can look any number of ways.  Don't know why such the difficulty in accepting their word on the issue. :-\

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 26, 2009, 01:42 PM »
Sorry Backwater; your credibility is the best of the best on this site as far as I'm concerned, so I stand corrected. Your word is gold on the length of the fish. Interesting though how digital photos can be very decieving. First time ice fishing experience and the guy comes up with an absolute brute of a PIKE, that is what it is all about! :-* :-*

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Mar 26, 2009, 01:49 PM »
Or how about these two.  One is 19 1/2# and one is 23 1/2#.  Which one is which and no breast jokes please ;D  Guys, pics can look any number of ways.  Don't know why such the difficulty in accepting their word on the issue. :-\

Did you get that first one "noodling" or what?You're only supposed to do that with catfish.You're scaring me with all these pike pics you keep pulling out of your butt. ;D

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 26, 2009, 02:00 PM »
Did you get that first one "noodling" or what?You're only supposed to do that with catfish.You're scaring me with all these pike pics you keep pulling out of your butt. ;D

Can't help it Boot - those damn things just won't leave me alone! >:D ;D

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #50 on: Mar 26, 2009, 02:28 PM »
Can't help it Boot - those d**n things just won't leave me alone! >:D ;D
I kill all the ones that dont leave me alone as well.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline bbpinecone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 26, 2009, 02:50 PM »
Pictures don't always tell the story...  ;)   ;D

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Mar 26, 2009, 03:30 PM »
Pictures don't always tell the story...  ;)   ;D

Hmmmmmmmm, nice photoshop job pinecone! ;D ;D

Offline hockeyfanseven

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Mar 26, 2009, 03:55 PM »
I have one 44" 25.5 pound on my wall and can say this mistery pike is no bigger than that. I can also show a 46" 28 pounder caught on long pond last week that makes this look like a baby

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #54 on: Mar 26, 2009, 04:51 PM »
Listen..........I don't expect any one here to believe me, as I rarely believe anything any one of you posts or tells me.  Heck we're all fisherman, and there is only one thing all fisherman have in common. 8)

My only question has been, and still stands.  While using a length formula to calculate weight, is 30-40lbs remotely reasonable for a 46" pike?  I never did care if anyone thinks the pike in the picture is 46", I just wanted to know if that weight estimate formula is reasonable??

I've concluded, that since nobody here has caught one that big that weighed that much, the answer is ....................NO it could never be possible.

Offline THREECAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Mar 26, 2009, 06:58 PM »

"My only question has been, and still stands.  While using a length formula to calculate weight, is 30-40lbs remotely reasonable for a 46" pike?  I never did care if anyone thinks the pike in the picture is 46", I just wanted to know if that weight estimate formula is reasonable??"

I have been following this thread like a slow motion car wreck.  I included Joe's quote above because, well, this was his original question, nothing else.
I don't know Joe well, but we have met before (all good), and I have read his posts from day one.  From my point of view, credibility should be no part of this discussion.  In fact, I bet Joe and company know darn well what this fish weighs within a pound or so. He was just looking for a consensus.  Was it his mistake to do it here ?.  The fact is, the highliners on this forum (and others) will continue to post extrordinary catches for all of us to enjoy.  That's what we do. We go fishing.  And sometimes, we do well.  I don't care if it's Gamefisher or Litchfieldfisher, a good catch is a good catch.  There are instances where bashing a fish pick MAY be warrented. I don't think this is one of them.  I've seen what negativity can do to a otherwise great fishing forum. Don't want to see that creep into this one.

Just my 02......... 8)
He suggested the pike were probably placed by an angler dissatisfied with, or simply not up to, the challenges of fishing for trout or salmon.”

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.