The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: More to the 46" Pike story  (Read 5158 times)

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
More to the 46" Pike story
« on: Mar 25, 2009, 12:36 PM »
As it turns out, there is a little more to the story. :P  Apparently, the fish was pulled in by a guy that had never even been ice fishing before......let alone caught a pike.  It has been described to me every day since then, the fish litterally squeezed up and back down a
9 inch hole.  After measuring the fish and taking some pictures, they roughly estimated the weight at 25lbs, even though known of them really knew how big it actually was.  It wasn't until after the fact my friend, the guide, thought there was a possibility the fish might be close to the state record.  According to the story, the guy who caught the fish had no interest whatsoever in keeping the fish.  When asked what he wanted to do with it, he replied "let's put it back".  So, back it went. :o  When the head of the fish was put back down the hole, it's body got stuck because it was too fat to fit through on its own.  With a little help, it was pushed through. 
Now, I love to give my buddy a hard time as often as I can, and this certainly has been a good one to go on.  You see, I've been wondering just how big that thing really was as far as weight is concerned.  Buddah helped me out with a link that uses a formula to calculate live weights of fish. http://www.fishdreams.com/calculator.all_species.html Originally, I used a girth measurement of 24inches because according to my friend that sounded like a reasonable number to use, but again was only a guess.  So the other day, we measured something in the shop that had a 9 inch diameter, and from that measured the circumference to determine the circumference of a 9inch hole.....which equals 29inches.  Now if I plug this into Buddahs website formula, it estimates the fish around 40lbs +/- 4lbs. :o :o  Now I know for sure the measurements are all correct, but do you think this formula is incorrect, or did they really just throw back a State Record Pike. :o

btw- the fish was caught with mono and a suspended live river smelt.

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: More to the 46" Pike story
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2009, 12:49 PM »
That sounds like a nice fish and it wasnt cought on steel wow never would of thought ;D

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:01 PM »
if it was a solid hookset in the corner of the mouth, chances are pretty good with mono of landin a pike. were any pictures taken of the fish? i'd love to see that hawg.
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:06 PM »
if it was a solid hookset in the corner of the mouth, chances are pretty good with mono of landin a pike. were any pictures taken of the fish? i'd love to see that hawg.

i think there is one on the other post he made ill try to find it

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:13 PM »
Joe - there are two sets of calculations or guesstimates that I use and find to be quite accurate due to body structure difference.  One for pike and one for salmon / trout.  For pike its length X length X length divided by 3500.  In the case of this particular fish, 46 x 46 x 46 = 97336.  Divide that by 3500 and you get 27.81.  Certainly there is a bit of an extra "fat" factor involved but I believe you have a 30# fish there +/-.  The one I use for trout and salmon, especially on quick releases, I find real accurate when compared to scales which is length X girth X girth divided by 800.  In fact, this is the same formula they use at Pierce Pond Camps, were guest release 95% of their fish after these quick guesstimates are taken. Try it this spring and compare with a scale and see what you think. :tipup:

Offline bbpinecone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:13 PM »
With a little help, it was pushed through. 

I heard a mountain lion came by and shoved it the rest of the way down the hole.  Then he left to go find that 'ghost' buck that disappeared into thin air (next to the smoldering tree stump).  heh heh heh

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:18 PM »
I heard a mountain lion came by and shoved it the rest of the way down the hole.  Then he left to go find that 'ghost' buck that disappeared into thin air (next to the smoldering tree stump).  heh heh heh
:roflmao: :clap: :roflmao: :clap: :roflmao:

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:24 PM »
Thats one BIG fish!  :o
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:24 PM »
I here ya Ryan!  I know I know.  
We're headed to Pleasant tomorrow and going back to the spot on Monday.......you up for the torture again?  Have you healed up from that one yet? ;D

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:37 PM »
On the website it says to measure to the fork of the tail,i'm sure your buddy probably measured to the tip.That could be a difference of a few inches on a pike that size.

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:54 PM »
Here's 5 more pike formulas.............. ..........just go with the one that has the best results....... ;D

http://www.esoxhunter.com/weightform.php

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:58 PM »
Here's 5 more pike formulas.............. ..........just go with the one that has the best results....... ;D

48.36!!!!!!!! :o  He beat the record by 17 pounds Joe, really rub it in good now. ;D

Offline bbpinecone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2009, 02:14 PM »
That pike don't look at all close to 40  +/- 4 lb.s to me ???
Do you know the length or guessing again ;D

46"

The length of a black plastic Continental Tip Up (flag extended) plus a dollar bill... 

Offline bbpinecone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2009, 02:26 PM »
I here ya Ryan!  I know I know.  
We're headed to Pleasant tomorrow and going back to the spot on Monday.......you up for the torture again?  Have you healed up from that one yet? ;D

Good luck at Pleasant - I should have saved my day off for tomorrow instead of taking a skunk (unless you count jigging a wheel barrow full of yellows) and enduring the wildest dogsled ride I've ever had!  :wacko:  Monday is out too - after the rain on Sunday, I'll HAVE to be at work on Monday.  Looks like Saturday might be my last day on the ice and hopefully I won't end up wasting it pike fishing.  ;D 

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2009, 02:28 PM »
That pike don't look at all close to 40  +/- 4 lb.s to me ???
Do you know the length or guessing again ;D
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             I agree with you Gamedog, the proof is not in the pic in my opinion. Fish is over 20lbs but I don't think it would make 30 lbs. by a long shot!

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2009, 02:32 PM »
no way is that fish 40 pounds. but, it is a nice fish for sure.

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2009, 02:36 PM »
Very nice fish........BUT....... ......doesn't look as big as the one in an earlier thread by pikehater.  "pikehater went pikefishing!!!"  The fish in that thread looks a good 5 lbs bigger then this one.  I would guess this fish to be 20 lbs +/- 2lbs.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2009, 02:46 PM »
Guess I don't understand which part of this you guys are questioning?  General rule of thumb is 40" makes 20 pounds.  Are you disputing that its 46"?  I think guys probably know how to read a tape measure. :tipup:

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2009, 03:07 PM »
the question is in the tape . I looks like a nice fish ,But not 46 inches .  Sometimes its hard to tell by a pic I know .  It looks like 36 to me

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 25, 2009, 03:09 PM »
Guess I don't understand which part of this you guys are questioning?  General rule of thumb is 40" makes 20 pounds.  Are you disputing that its 46"?  I think guys probably know how to read a tape measure. :tipup:
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Gamefisher, you have a valid point, maybe angle/distance of pic does not do justice to the fish, I don't know. Just curious where is original post about catching this fish? I don't see it or can't find it! Regardless, if this was his first time icefishing trip then wow, nice pike! As far as a new state record goes, measurements seem vague, unconfirmed which is unfortunate.

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #20 on: Mar 25, 2009, 03:10 PM »
I think the fish is still swimming and no one will ever know.  Unless its caught again.  Go get her Joe

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 25, 2009, 03:30 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Gamefisher, you have a valid point, maybe angle/distance of pic does not do justice to the fish, I don't know. Just curious where is original post about catching this fish? I don't see it or can't find it! Regardless, if this was his first time icefishing trip then wow, nice pike! As far as a new state record goes, measurements seem vague, unconfirmed which is unfortunate.

Joe originally posted it a week or two ago.  All I'm saying is I trust these guys measuring abilities enough for them to know what the length of that particular trap is with the flag up plus a dollar bill compared against a tape measure.  People may dispute 40# if you want, but there is NO disputing 20# at 46" I promise you. :tipup:  Somewhere in between is the answer. ;D

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 25, 2009, 03:35 PM »
not disputing the length, just the weight. that fish is 20 pounds easy, but no where near 40 pounds. it's an awesome catch for someone who has never been icefishing before.

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #23 on: Mar 25, 2009, 03:44 PM »
Like I said in the other thread the way the guy is holding the fish is making it look deceptively small. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was between 28 -32#'s.

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #24 on: Mar 25, 2009, 03:54 PM »
I agree, 40#'s seems a bit out of the ballpark.  But that is what this formula calls for.  I do believe 30lbs is fair enough, however, we'll never know for sure.  The measurement is 100% accurate at 46" total length.  The girth is legit as well, however never officially measured.  29 inches was the best we could calculate after the fact by measuring the circumference of a 9" hole.  Don't go by the picture, as I don't believe it does any justice.  Just going by the 46 inches by say 28 inches, this fish is easily in the 30lb ballpark.  Doesn't take much more than 30lbs to break the record.  If I'm not mistaken, the state record pike was just under 40inches anyway....right. ???  This fish was just as fat and 6-7inches longer.  You be the judge.
I'd love to catch that blasted thing.....just so I could put an end to all the guessing. 

Offline BoneHead

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 25, 2009, 03:56 PM »
a nice fish for sure but 30# would be a strech. compare to meadowpikeman's thread. 46" is loooong. girth is hard to judge from a picture tho. my guess is around 28#.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=83691.msg824022#msg824022
Never argue with an idiot, he will just bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 25, 2009, 04:00 PM »
Like I said in the other thread the way the guy is holding the fish is making it look deceptively small. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was between 28 -32#'s.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               I think that's entirely plausible Jim, I think the next record Pike in Maine will be taken from Great Pond, North Pond, Messalonskee or Long Pond as there are 40lb. Pike already swimming in there, just feel it will be another 5 years or so before the few and far between are landed and confirmed as new record! Oldest year class fish are in the previous mentioned waters.

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #27 on: Mar 25, 2009, 04:06 PM »
Could definitely happen, I also think eventually (10 -15 years) the Andro below the Brunswick dam will give up some big ones with all the migratory feed they have available. You are right though, if I was trying for the state record it would be somewhere in the belgrades.

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 25, 2009, 04:30 PM »
wow, fat one she is....i'd guess the weight at around 30 pounds

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 25, 2009, 04:33 PM »
maybe instead of 46...it's 36?