The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Suprise Fish on Norway Lake Today  (Read 2575 times)

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
Suprise Fish on Norway Lake Today
« on: Mar 22, 2009, 04:55 PM »
Well this was my last day of ice fishing for 2009 and the lake did not dissapoint. We had around 15-20 flags with 6 nice bass and one brown trout (i think).Took the opportunity to take some friends and family to a nice spot we love to catch fish at. I wanted to post this picture and see if you guys could tell me if this is a salmon or Brown Trout. We were set up in a known Bass area and this beauty came up through the hole caught by a six year old.

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
Re: Suprise Fish on Norway Lake Today
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2009, 04:58 PM »
That's a Brownie...  And a sweet one at that!!!  Way to wrap up the season!!!
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline slt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2009, 05:04 PM »
It's a brown....
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2009, 05:14 PM »
Well ok thats what i thought it was but my buddy kept trying to say that it was a salmon. I told him that i had never seen a salmon with red spots on it. Then he tried to tell  me it was  a rainbow and i knew 100% that this fish was not a rainbow. Sorry i dont fish for salmon or browns much so we were just wondering. I wish the picture showed how fat that thing was. It was a nice surprise.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2009, 05:16 PM »
square tail ,red spots, looks like a brownie to me!! nice fish! great day to have the kids out there

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2009, 05:22 PM »
square tail ,red spots, looks like a brownie to me!! nice fish! great day to have the kids out there
Oh it was a perfect day to take the kids all out. For some reason i had the only auger in the group so i ended up drilling  "all" the holes. Funny how no one knows how to run an auger  when your the only one that brings one  LOL  ;D. Regardless, i brought along to friends that had never fished with me before so i wanted to make sure that i put them onto some fish. I ended up catching no fish today but just to watch the kids running and screaming when we yelled flag made the whole day worth it. I told my buddies that if i show them my spot i get commission for every fish they catch. Somehow i never ended up with any :D :D. I couldnt have asked for a better day!

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2009, 05:25 PM »
Nice brown, doesn't get much more square tailed then that!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2009, 05:33 PM »

I bet those kids had a ball.. Nice job.....Nice fish....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2009, 07:07 PM »
That's a nice brown. We always called the darker ones "German Browns" and the light ones "Silver Browns".

Norway has some trophy browns and has for many years.

The silver browns look like a salmon to the average angler. The attached link is a good description of how to tell the difference between a Brown Trout and A Salmon.  ;D

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/salmon_v_browntrout.htm
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2009, 08:02 PM »
nice brown we have been trying to catch one of those out of Norway this year and have yet to icefisha22 was out there as well this today caught a bow
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline Flatlander2Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I got my game face on now! Come'er Fish
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2009, 04:24 PM »
Did you say a 6 year old?

Hmmmmph!!! :wacko:
Here fishy fishy fishy

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2009, 04:51 PM »

Hey flatlander; someday you will have children and will come to love this! Just kidding as I Know you are. :laugh: :laugh: Smeltshack; that is a classic brown trout catch, congrats! :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2009, 05:13 PM »

EGADS.....NOT AGAIN?  :woot: :clap: :roflmao:

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2009, 05:17 PM »
Yah the little girl in the pictures caught it. It almost spooled the trap because it was so far away from the others and it took them a while to get to it. She started yankin for all she was worth and her dad had all he could do to keep the line from getting all tangled. The funny thing is that it was actually on someone elses trap but she got to it first and just started pullin. We joked about it all day because the guy who's trap it was on was really far from it but he wouldnt run to get it. He had already taken a nasty fall on the ice that morning and he figured he didnt want to land on his "keester" again. Oh well he was just happy to see the kid pull up such a nice brown. My only hope is that more fish like this will be cooperative next year or this spring.

Offline lovtofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Norway, Maine
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2009, 05:45 PM »
Nice Report Tim.  What a way to end the season!  Thanks for sharing the day with us.

Offline herbc69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2009, 05:48 PM »
Nice fat Brown not even a ? what kind of fish that is

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Well ok thats what i thought it was but my buddy kept trying to say that it was a salmon. I told him that i had never seen a salmon with red spots on it. Then he tried to tell  me it was  a rainbow and i knew 100% that this fish was not a rainbow. Sorry i dont fish for salmon or browns much so we were just wondering. I wish the picture showed how fat that thing was. It was a nice surprise.

appears to be a brown, but i have caught salmon out of norway that look just like it. the only way to truly tell is to look on the upper jaw of their mouth. and by the way it is not at all uncommon for salmon to have red spots.
"many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after"

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2009, 07:32 PM »
While fishing on Branch Lake last Sunday a man and his son rode up to our group and asked how to tell the difference between a touge and a brown trout. He decribed what he had just caught and his son said it was a brown trout. It fought like crazy and whan they hauled it out of the hole it was 27 inches long. He didn't keep it out of the water long and released it. Brown trout are protected in Branch like salmon are protected in Moosehead before the 15th of February. Your not suppose to take them out of the water. This was the first time the father had gone ice fishing or any kind of fishing I guess, but how he decribed it sounded like a brown to me. Light brown color with spots and a square tail. Jimmy DeWitt caught one there once before it was against the law and it weighed 14 pounds. It's on his wall now.
Steve

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 24, 2009, 07:04 PM »
appears to be a brown, but i have caught salmon out of norway that look just like it. the only way to truly tell is to look on the upper jaw of their mouth. and by the way it is not at all uncommon for salmon to have red spots.
> Really, i never knew salmon had red spots. This fish didnt have many scales on it. It was smooth. Dont salmon have lots of scales? Here's a picture of its mouth the picture is a little blurry but i think i can see the zig zag pattern in teh middle part so as far as i am concerned case closed, its a brown. Thanks you guys for all your help

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 24, 2009, 07:11 PM »
> Really, i never knew salmon had red spots. This fish didnt have many scales on it. It was smooth. Dont salmon have lots of scales? Here's a picture of its mouth(Image removed from quote.)

That's a pretty good picture of the volmerine head and shaft, with multibles on the head and the double row on the shaft. ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.