New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091735 times)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
I try and pick up sales when ever possible , I passed up on a lx5 for 270.00   , i buy most of my stuff in the off seasons when sales are easier on the wallet , the  Cicero store has gotten more stuff in , and your right loud mouth the UP To is a little small , 😉

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Loudmouth879 I figured there had to be wording on the 40% off sign Gander Mountain and the liquidation company are smart enough to cover themselves legally.
Steve

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Updated list ...seems Middletown is staying as a Gander Outdoors as opposed to a Camping World or Overton combo

https://twitter.com/marcuslemonis/status/873556345609474048
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Bunch of stuff at Gander is 60% off now.... there were people going around and making sure everything was marked the way it is supposed to be today

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
New Gander Outdoor list and the Middletown NY location did not make the cut

https://sgbonline.com/camping-world-finalizes-gander-mountain-store-list/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
maybe cableas or bass pro will decided to come down now

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
maybe cableas or bass pro will decided to come down now

BPS acquisition of Cableas is moving along finally not sure they will be building any time soon in our neck of the woods

http://www.mcall.com/business/retail/mc-biz-cabelas-bass-pro-20170705-story.html

Looking at Marc Lemonis Twitter feed... he seems to have added some more stores to the list staying open ...Middletown location is a good market ...but problems with landlord (Pyramid/Galleria) , zoning( he wants RVs on property) or co tenancy(Sams is down stairs neighbor) could be the fly in the ointment ..but may work out before all is final.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hardwater Diehard thank you for the update on Gander Mountain .I think you hit the nail on the head about Middletown location if my memory is correct Gander Mountain's current location was originally a Walmart store.
Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Seems to me the more technology and "Science" they use in predicting the future weather the less accurate the reports are. Heck, they can't tell us what the weather will be tomorrow with any accuracy.

I watch the NOAA weather. We made plans on Monday based on the report to play golf on Wednesday which was sunny and 80. On Tuesday it changed to partly sunny and thunder storms after 1 PM for Wednesday. At 7 PM on Tuesday it changed again to foggy in the morning and then sunny with a high of 85. We played golf this morning and there was a little fog but by 10 AM it was beastly hot, well over 90 and not a cloud in the sky. In my next life I have already decided to come back as a weather idiot because they can be wrong all the time and still get paid.

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Some new weather outlook ...I believe someone from IS turned me onto her last season...got to scroll down   

http://wx4cast.blogspot.com/2017/10/my-winter-2017-2018-outlook.html

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks HWDH, I saw a lot of wind in her report but it sure did leave me wondering if we will be on ice by Christmas or on ice at all this winter.

As much as I do like watching the weather reports and going to NOAA for the 5 day forecast there is one thing that seems to hold true with all this high tech satellite and radar weather predictions, they don't have much of a clue from one day to the next **censored** the weather will be much past a day or two. Right now my report say Friday could be a good fishing day at around 60, partly sunny with a light wind from the southeast at 6 MPH. They will again update it tomorrow but it won't surprise me at all if on Friday we have solid rain or bright sun and winds anywhere from 0-25 MPH out of who knows where.

Based on her report I guess we need to know, should we get our gear ready early or not at all?

Gary

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
After two years of pretty much not having any ice I don't care if it's early or late, as long as it gets here....
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Greetings everyone must be getting close to ice fishing season see more members back on Ice shanty every day. Kb I feel the same way ,my problem is finding time to fish. Hope all of you are doing well and are having a good Fall. Best of luck to all of you hunters.
Steve

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I haven't seen anything worth putting a tag on yet, but I'm trying.   
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hello to all my fellow SENY Ice Shanty members just wanted to pass this info. on to all who might be interested the In-Fisherman 2018 ice fishing Tactical  Gear Guide is out on news /magazine displays-stands. I purchased a copy at Barnes-N-Noble in Town of Newburgh yesterday. (Sat.10/14)
Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks Mr.Clean. All I want for Christmas this year is 6 inches of ice with no snow on it.

I fished the Rio on Thursday and again all day today. Could not entice a trout or walleye but the bass were very active on gear not even meant for them. Think if I was a bass fisherman I would have had a banner day tossing the correct lures. Sitting right over top of what I believe were eyes and damn if I could get them to touch anything. Sawbellies boiling the top all over the entire lake and eagles were having a banquet but I have to eat store bought dinner.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Got my copy of the Ice Guide in the mail the other day ...takes about 10 days

https://www.osgnewsstand.com/collection/fishing

give me 8-10 inches of ice and 3 inches of snow that's my sweet spot ...enough ice for the ATV ...and no ice cleats needed .

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
You are welcome Gamalot. Sorry the two species of fish you were targeting at Rio did not cooperate glad the bass were  hungry so you had action on your rod/rods. Must be a sight to watch eagles taking fish from lake's surface.
Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You are welcome Gamalot. Sorry the two species of fish you were targeting at Rio did not cooperate glad the bass were  hungry so you had action on your rod/rods. Must be a sight to watch eagles taking fish from lake's surface.
Steve

Yes Steve, Eagles are a nice sight but what is more fun about them is after one scores a fish the others go into aerial acrobatics trying to steal it. All of these reservoirs along the Mongaup & Neversink river chain have a number of year round nesting pairs of eagles so it is becoming a rather common sight.

Walleyes are a pretty new fish for me to target because I have always been pretty much strictly a trout fisherman. Learning a new species and new technique is proving to be rather frustrating so far but this is why they call it fishing instead of catching. I never even bothered with them until I caught a nice one around 6 pounds while trolling for trout. That was in early ice out and had to go back in because the season was closed and I have only caught a couple since but not 18 inches so they went back too. Damn, all these new walleye lures, jigs and baits have cost me a small fortune and so far they have caught more fisherman than fish.

GAM

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
I have viewed eagles from the observation area on Mongaup during the Winter months ,nice to know there are now nesting pairs present year round. Personally the only lake in Sullivan County that I knew had walleyes was Morningside in Hurlyville until a couple years ago when the winning fish from "King of The Ice" contest at White Lake was a walleye.

On a different topic I know you are a long time Sullivan County resident ,do you know the history of wooden pipe sections you see along road to Rio.
Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
The DEC stocked Swinging bridge res in the 90's into 2000's with walleye...even got a small write up in F&S mag ...then when dam broke and needed repair it is believed that a lot of them were released down stream ...Moungaup  falls res...Rio res etc .White lake is stocked by the SC conservation club for sometime now with walleye ..I just found out last October of this ..but couldn't find out for how long best answer I got was
'a couple of years"

https://www.facebook.com/SullivanCounty.ConservationClub/photos/a.1605288382830666.1073741844.199827536710098/1605288639497307/?type=3&theater

Toronto was stocked in the 90s (and may be continuing ) with walleye by the Iroquois hunting club I believe...

I do not have a history of the wooden tubes ...but you may want to check with John Conway ...

http://www.scnyhistory.org/index.php/home

https://www.facebook.com/scnyhistory/

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have viewed eagles from the observation area on Mongaup during the Winter months ,nice to know there are now nesting pairs present year round. Personally the only lake in Sullivan County that I knew had walleyes was Morningside in Hurlyville until a couple years ago when the winning fish from "King of The Ice" contest at White Lake was a walleye.

On a different topic I know you are a long time Sullivan County resident ,do you know the history of wooden pipe sections you see along road to Rio.
Steve

Walleyes are in White lake, Toronto, Swinging Bridge, Mongaup Falls and the Rio plus both Cliff lake and Hull Pond and have been there for years. They could also be in Superior since all these lakes are attached by either pipes or creeks or rivers.

As a kid back in the 50s and 60s that wood pipe was running full blast and providing water to the generator right by the north end of the Rio. It came out of Mongaup Falls reservoir. Too many idiots thought it was cool to shoot holes in it so they have other pipes and water sources going to the generator now. At the launch on the Rio there is an old structure that also used to have a wood pipe on it I think came out of Burnt lake. There is an under ground pipe from Cliff lake that goes right to Swinging Bridge just across and south of the public launch. All of this was and much of it still is owned by Orange and Rockland Utilities. I have a piece of that wood from the old pipe. It is about 2 inches thick and impregnated with creosote just like telephone poles used to be. Nasty stuff but the wood lasts for a real long time. All of these dams along the Mongaup were built between 1900 and 1940 and my grandfather's brother worked on the Rio one. The Mongaup river starts up in the Neversink reservoir and goes straight to the Delaware. As a kid all of those reservoirs were absolutely fantastic trout fishing waters. I have seen many 12-20 pound Browns come from both Rio, Swinging Bridge and the Mongaup in between them.

If you look at the Topo maps of this entire area it is easy to see how all these lakes from White and Black lake to Superior, Toronto, Cliff, SB, Mongaup Falls and the Rio are all interconnected.

Gam

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The DEC stocked Swinging bridge res in the 90's into 2000's with walleye...even got a small write up in F&S mag ...then when dam broke and needed repair it is believed that a lot of them were released down stream ...Moungaup  falls res...Rio res etc .White lake is stocked by the SC conservation club for sometime now with walleye ..I just found out last October of this ..but couldn't find out for how long best answer I got was
'a couple of years"

https://www.facebook.com/SullivanCounty.ConservationClub/photos/a.1605288382830666.1073741844.199827536710098/1605288639497307/?type=3&theater

Toronto was stocked in the 90s (and may be continuing ) with walleye by the Iroquois hunting club I believe...

I do not have a history of the wooden tubes ...but you may want to check with John Conway ...

http://www.scnyhistory.org/index.php/home

https://www.facebook.com/scnyhistory/

Back many years ago Orange and Rockland kept many of these lakes totally private and for the use of the big wigs who ran the company. Hull Pond still is completely private and they stocked walleyes before I was born. Toronto was also kept very private for the executives of O&R and they also put some walleyes in it probably over 20 years ago. For a long time the state record Walleye came out of Toronto. A lot of this stuff was only known by the guys who worked for O&R and done under the radar of the NY DEC. They owned the lakes and all the vast acreage around them so they did what they wanted. One of my uncles worked for O&R but was not an executive. He did get to fish up in Hull pond on an invitation back when I was about 10 in 1962. He came home with the first walleyes we had ever seen and one was a good 8 pound fish. Back then the Mongaup coming in to the Rio when the generators were running was loaded with big Brown and Rainbow trout that came up from the lake to feast on the sawbellies that got chopped up in the pumps.

Since O&R has sold off a lot of the land and lakes and the generation plants to Eagle Creek the DEC has pretty much lost interest in any of these lakes. They did stock a ridiculous number of Walleyes in the Rio a couple years back. They also tried stocking hybrid strippers and tiger Muskys in SB some years back but I only ever saw a few of them ever caught. Pretty sure the walleyes in Loch Sheldrake were stocked by the fire company.

Gam

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hardwater Diehard/Gamalot thank you for the information on walleyes in Sullivan county and wooden pipe line by Rio reservoir . The first time I saw the remaining parts of pipe line thought they might be part of D&H canal system then my mind said why would a canal system have an enclosed pipeline. My family had a vacation home in hamlet of Smallwood(Town of Bethel )for around 55 years the community was started in 1928 and has a man made lake called Mountain Lake(also know as Smallwood Lake) believe they damned White Lake brook to create the lake so there probably are some trout in this lake. The community was originally  know as Mountain Lake subdivision and later took on the name of developer so became Smallwood.
I believe profits from Hurleyville fire department ice and summer contests are divided 3 ways with a portion used to stock walleyes in Morningside Lake. The money is also split between fire dept. and Town of Fallsburg division for youth programs.

Nice that you have a piece of wood from pipeline Gamalot part of your childhood and county history.
Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
DEC stocking lists/type/amounts

https://data.ny.gov/Recreation/Fish-Stocking-Lists-Actual-Beginning-2011/9hpx-asd8

Info is hard for me to find here on previous years. This one says 7,000 walleyes stocked in RIo and another says 8,700 that were 1.5 inches long. I can't figure out how to go back in years to see what they claim.

Gam

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.