New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1093949 times)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
18.5-22 inches here with some drifts around 3-4 feet depending on whats in the way of the wind

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Saw a guy on a bucket at muskoot today on way home from work. Backside of Sodom is locked but its plowed in. No idea thickness
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
There were 8-10 guys fishing Muscoot behind Kings Lumber on Saturday, surprised there was safe ice.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Some Gander Mtn news ....I don't see Middletown on the list to stay open but do see Kingston.

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1776526-gander-mountain-begins-liquidation
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have no concrete info on the Middletown store but I was there yesterday and it was very crowded for no good reason. Most of the stuff was only marked down 10% which is the same as saying don't bother. Myself and 3 buddies spent an hour looking for bargains and we all walked out without buying a thing.

Gander here has always had the reputation of high prices and lousy sales easily beaten on line or at just about any other place that sells the same gear.

I think the Gander/Overton's name was bought out by some camping/RV company but I have no info on what stuff they will carry or if the store in Middletown will stay or go. My dog liked that store better than I ever did because they used to have lots of stuffed animals she could bark at. Gander never honored my Veteran's discount card like most other stores do so I usually tried to avoid the store when ever possible.

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
BTW, After reading the story and what his plan is to keep stores open by paying a minimum wage of $12/hr. and if the rent is not too high I really can't see the Middletown store staying open. The rents here in these Malls have driven all sorts of businesses to bankruptcy and are half of the reason why they can't sell anything at competitive prices. This entire ad campaign by Cuomo "The New NY" is nothing more than a BS campaign and you can't find a single small business that has seen any tax relief what so ever. Seems more like NY is open for business to give us all the business while nothing ever will get any better.

The items we might have bought yesterday at the liquidation sale can easily be found on line for much cheaper and even considering the shipping charges.

Both Cabela's and Bass Pro don't have much of a presence in NY and there are good reasons for this.

Gamalot

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Looks like Gander Mtn Middletown is in

From twitter feed

Marcus Lemonis‏Verified account @marcuslemonis · 1hour
Update on @GanderMtn #middletownNY in is

https://twitter.com/marcuslemonis/status/862429567272845312

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Looks like Gander Mtn Kingston NY is in to stay open

https://twitter.com/marcuslemonis/status/862659617482059776

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The CEO of camping world is very anti-hunting so I'm surprised the company decided to buy out gander.... wouldn't be surprised if they decrease the size of their hunting/fishing equipment area and put more apparel and camping stuff in

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
The CEO of camping world is very anti-hunting so I'm surprised the company decided to buy out gander.... wouldn't be surprised if they decrease the size of their hunting/fishing equipment area and put more apparel and camping stuff in

Changing the name to Gander Outdoors ...and looks to be keeping stores open which would allow the sale of RVs...if you scroll through his tweets he was asked/answered that fish and hunting will remain ...hope that is true.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Changing the name to Gander Outdoors ...and looks to be keeping stores open which would allow the sale of RVs...if you scroll through his tweets he was asked/answered that fish and hunting will remain ...hope that is true.

I'm not saying it won't remain I'm just saying they will downsize the hunting and fishing and increase the camping/hiking/apparel parts of the stores.... really wish Cabela's would've went through with the Woodburry store lol

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
A more recent and encouraging Tweet ....I notice that the Middletown store was not on any of the two lists posted by the new owner...so thought it might be still up in the air ...but appears to be still in the running to stay open.

https://twitter.com/marcuslemonis/status/866729301483376640

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anyone pick up an Ion Auger at gander during the liquidation sale? $370 was a pretty good price when I saw em if it wasn't for the drill auger I got I woulda picked one up... was looking at the ice shelters but couldn't pull the trigger those were still pricey imo

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Not in the market for an Ion or a Clam shelter....decent prices though ...they are adding "Gander" stock weekly not sure from where ...but they also have other non Gander merchandise in the front right of the entrance. 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Not in the market for an Ion or a Clam shelter....decent prices though ...they are adding "Gander" stock weekly not sure from where ...but they also have other non Gander merchandise in the front right of the entrance.

Yea i was looking at the shelters today 40% off think ill wait a bit longer I know some other stores have ice fishing gear 50% off

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I don't think they are in any rush to reduce inventory so the best is yet to come in price reduction ...going to be a long summer . I will be popping in there today for a looksee...not expecting them to get any of my money .

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have been there 3 times since the Clearance sale started and have not spent a dime. Basically, when is a sale not a sale? They had much better prices when they did do a real sale before the take over. I bought my Humminbird finder for $269 two years ago and saw it on clearance last weekend for $379.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just have to give it time..... Ive heard stores in other states where prices are 50% off.... the in season stuff probably won't go higher than 20% imo but the out of season stuff and apparel are where the deals will be

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I've found their 'sales' are equivalent to others regular prices.   In all the times I've been there, I don't recall ever buying anything....

JMHO
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
They have moved some of the ice fishing gear from upfront to the fishing/marine area ..in the Middletown store . Don't look they are in a rush to liquidate based on the % of discounts .

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Any deals on fishfinders??  I'm looking for a new one for my kayak.   

Online mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Greetings hope everyone is having a good spring. I also paid a visit to the Middletown store yesterday looking for an Okuma Ignite model40a spinning reel to pair with a Saint Croix rod. The remaining selection of reels was very small. Also I thought there liquidation sales signage was misleading as you entered the store sign saying entire store 40% off get inside another sign giving the percentages off by department or item category such as ice fishing. Also talked with an employee the liquidation company is sending Gander stores items it has acquired from other businesses to sell during this liquidation sale. Most of these items Gander Mountain never carried as part of their inventory.
Steve

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 The wife and I just had a fantastic day crappie fishing. Using nothing but jigs, we caught 32 Keeper crappie in 2.5 hours,  with too many shorts to count.

This was all from our kayaks.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nice report KB and sounds like a great day of fishing. Tell me if the way I feel has any validity. Crappie and Perch are both great eating fish but I find them to be much better tasting when caught while ice fishing. Cold water and remaining cold after catching them seems to be a factor. I also feel the same with trout and walleye, all seem to taste better from hard water but this is just my opinion and that of my wife who is the real fresh fish connoisseur and cook. Just something to discuss and maybe some others will chime in on the subject.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You are absolutely correct, unless you 'docter' the meat.  When I am filleting the crappie and perch that I catch in the spring time, I put the fillets into a big bowl filled with  a gallon of ice water with a teaspoonful of both salt and lemon juice. The lemon juice helps to make the meat firmer.

I then rinse the fillets off and  vacuum seal them for the freezer.

The result is that the meat is firm and delicious.

The water temperature was 65°F, and all the fillets will be delicious when baked.    It is just a habit I got into doing during the warmer months,  actually all the time.   

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Not much room in the kayak for a cooler with ice which is what I think makes a difference. Will try your method and see how that works. I fish the Roundout a lot in early spring and bring a cooler with me. Only ever keep a trout or 2 to be dinner that night. 2 at 14 inches is perfect for me and the wife or one at 18-20. Any much larger get to fight another day unless they get badly hooked.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Still no updated list on which Ganders are staying open... but latest tweet concerning Middletown NY

@marcuslemonis is the Middletown new york store staying open????

That's the plan

https://twitter.com/marcuslemonis/status/871005867499552768

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Also I thought there liquidation sales signage was misleading as you entered the store sign saying entire store 40% off

The sign says up to 40% off but the 40% is way bigger than the up to lettering

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Not much of a Sale IMO and I can buy just about anything I need cheaper on line even paying for the shipping. I do think the ice gear and shanties were and still are quite a good bargain but I don't have a need for a new shelter at the moment. I saw them marked down to 40% so if you are in the market it might be a wise choice but hard to do in June.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.