New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1094171 times)

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was the one who politely schooled you! It's horrible Sportsmanship to drill holes 5feet from someone's gear . And that excuse about checking the ice is  bs, you drilled holes on either side of me, and I'll put $$ they all measured 8-9" of ice! Get up earlier if you want a good spot, I was one of the first people on the ice. I don't mind sharing the ice but you need to respect boundaries!

As I posted earlier, I did find a possible spring which is why I ended up drilling that last hole between your tip-ups. The ice was noticeably thinner and the auger went through in about 2 seconds. The ice there was indeed about 1.5-2 inches, maybe less. All the other holes that I drilled and actually fished in were much farther away. I gave you plenty of room, and besides, it's a public lake, nobody owns it, and is it really gonna kill you that someone is fishing 40 yds away?

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was on Superior Saturday. Watched 3 guys come drill holes less than 5 yards from 4 other guys. ( no they were not together). The guys that were there first left. Then the guys moved right were the other guys were. Stayed about 20 minutes then left. I don't usually say anything to anyone but if they did that same move on me we would have words.
i know it's public fishing but a little courtesy would be appreciated.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just wondering. If its summer and your fishing from boats, do people come up close and anchor next to you? I dont think so, so why do people think its ok on ice?

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Excellent point jiignut.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Broke out the new guide gear shanty I recently received from my girlfriend (ladyice) and noticed it was a bit dark as the sun went down any recommendations on lights for inside or any other accessories you guys use inside your shantys?

get a string of xmas lights and rig them up to your flasher battery or carry an extra 6 volt battery... also lots of options on cableas for shanty lights

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
May be just make an introduction....could be a fellow IS member...future fishing buddy .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
May be just make an introduction....could be a fellow IS member...future fishing buddy .

Exactly, if anyone has a problem, you can just ask nicely. No need to hop out of the shanty and immediately start yelling. Yelling does nothing but cause tension.

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Just be nice out there..my gosh! Anyway my catch I left in a 5 gal bucket last night..get home solid..put them in kitchen sink..still frozen ..tried one but hate waste. Got to let them thaw before I try my electric knife.. I'm well rehearsed in filleting fish bit forget to bring these in last night..now I'm drinking beers waiting to clean a bunch..once these crappies thaw it will be easy. Make nice mSh potatoes corn and a tarter ..salad ..today had to be another good day on ice but I passed  know ing I got enough to clean

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Hope the next outing is better but this weather forecast is warm

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
About my thawing and filleting my crappies.. i still have a sink of crappies to fillet, no joking here.. i tried the new 6 in fillet from rapala in my electric knife kit.. think the rest i'll do with the longer thinner one i had no problem with..just thought i try this smaller  but wider blade and it leaves meat..not broad enough like the original electric rapala blade kit .. with the new smaller replacement blades.. i have noticed it can't knife the broad body of these crappies which are between 11 and 12 inches.. going to finish up after this post..they will be good fry tonight. On a side note, coming home watched a trooper having to put down what appeared to be a car injured deer coming home..man that suks but seen it happen before..folks take care of your pets! don't leave your dogs out in the cold,,etc.. and please watch the drive ahead for the deer.. they have no clue!

Offline dougie

• IceShanty Rookie
Were you there with your son?
That was probably me. my son was having a good time sliding around on my tip-up bucket.....that reminds me I need a new bucket. Doesn't matter he is 10 and would rather be ice fishing with me thandoing just about anything else. we had a marginal day 4 flags 1 pickerel 1 perch nothing jigging. hope the weather works with us. Good luck.

Offline Forest

• IceShanty Rookie
Made a trip to Rock Hill today for some icefishing. Got a few smallies and pickerel.
Found out that the guy who owns Sports Nuts baitshop owns 40-up tackle company. He's got every tip-up part you need. Pretty cool shop.
Google maps says it's at 250, but it's actually further up the road. They changed locations at some point.

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anyone ever fished Yankee Lake? I know it's private but I may be able to fish it.
I was wondering if the fishing is "good" there.
Any info would be appreciated.

Offline Ladyice

• IceShanty Rookie
get a string of xmas lights and rig them up to your flasher battery or carry an extra 6 volt battery... also lots of options on cableas for shanty lights

That sounds like a good idea.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
Exactly, if anyone has a problem, you can just ask nicely. No need to hop out of the shanty and immediately start yelling. Yelling does nothing but cause tension.

well if they did that to me they would not need to listen to the yelling. they would just feel the [pain and try to stop the bleeding...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
Made a trip to Rock Hill today for some icefishing. Got a few smallies and pickerel.
Found out that the guy who owns Sports Nuts baitshop owns 40-up tackle company. He's got every tip-up part you need. Pretty cool shop.
Google maps says it's at 250, but it's actually further up the road. They changed locations at some point.

sports nuts sucks! the fishing supplies are garbage and the pricing is outrageous! the owner lies and steals...

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
I was on yankee once   did ok but I wasn't moving around much back then. I have been told theres good fish there...

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished dawn to dusk yesterday 7-8" of solid Ice and lots of ice expansion noise!!....once that sun hit that 14degree Ice the Symphony started ...4 slime darts 10-28"...and a hand full of perch that decided to eat 3"minnows under tipups instead of an inviting jig with grub!....I am finding that most fish head deep once the ice starts to make all that scary cracking and booming....observation s?....farewell Ice hopefully February is more consistent with the cold

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
sports nuts sucks! the fishing supplies are garbage and the pricing is outrageous! the owner lies and steals...
Kind of always felt that way myself. If your in western sullivan co, try sportsmans den. not too far from fosterdale. they dont have the best selection of tackle, but it will get you by, they do have great baitfish, and they are helpful and honest.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I got bait at Farm and family in Monticello yesterday and he had a hard time finding a dozen shinners in his tank. They should get a delivery some time on Thursday.

I fished Toronto with limited success. Was hoping and going for the eyes but caught a couple decent perch and bass. Most guys walk all the way across to the opposite side but too far for these old legs to drag the sled so I stayed closer to the launch. Shoreline was iffy in spots but no plank was needed. Ice was singing pretty loud all day but not sure if it was building more or loosing. I don't do electronics but a few guys with flashers did pretty well on the perch and jigging. The ice was 6-7 inches of good clear ice where I was.

I saw a few guys out on SB on the way by but the shore there looks pretty bad by the launch. Also saw guys on White lake and the shore by the launch looked decent.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have a question for you guys ... any reason you don't put your age on your profile?  It would be nice if you new the age of the person you're communicating with.
Just curious?

Offline fishon723

• IceShanty Rookie
Don't you know you should never ask an ice fisherman or woman their age. Its just not proper. Its almost as bad as drilling a hole too close to someone. LOL! I am 51 and wishin I was fishin!

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
went by Sodom this afternoon. guys got creative with planks but the water has come up and the edges are shot for about 20'. looks like with these temps and rain it will be off limits for a while
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline Forest

• IceShanty Rookie
Kind of always felt that way myself. If your in western sullivan co, try sportsmans den. not too far from fosterdale. they dont have the best selection of tackle, but it will get you by, they do have great baitfish, and they are helpful and honest.
Yeah the two dozen shiners I bought were a little expensive then the norm.
Can't see the prices with my sunglasses on!

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks fishon723, I knew not to ask about the ladies, but I didn't ice fishermen were so sensitive  :)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Nice to see a few new to me screen names posting welcome to this thread. Thank you to all who have been using the Sullivan county small waters thread in the Reports& Conditions thread . Gamalot if you used the Muscoe road access for Toronto Reservoir it is a good hike to main body of reservoir. Dave327 I think including your age in profile is a personal choice there is enough publicly available information about all of us if someone wants to do the research and pay for the info. in some cases.Personally I would like to see it required to that you have to least put your state in profile information. Hopefully we get colder weather in the coming weeks or we could see another short ice fishing season.
Steve

Offline fishon723

• IceShanty Rookie
 Hopefully the ice will hold out for the weekend and temps will drop or I'm breaking out the kayak and looking for open water!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any drive by reports on round or Walton?...I got trolling rods and a nice canoe calling my name!!!

Offline jbird73

• IceShanty Rookie
Drove by Saturday both had plenty of open water

Offline MoneyPit

• IceShanty Rookie
Ok hopefully third time is the charm been trying to get out for the past two weekends with unexpected obligations popping up  :( fingers crossed Sunday I'll be on the ice with a couple pals, I don't even care if we get to clean fish that night as long as I get my lines wet I'll be happy. Good luck to you all and stay safe.
]http://i63.tinypic.com/k31y4w.png[/ img ]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.