New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1094288 times)

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best palm rod and reel (marmooska rod)? Any recommendations?

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Does anyone know if they are keeping the bubblers on at Glenmere this year? Or will it be open should it happen to freeze
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Greetings everyone I'm still working on gathering information and comfirming dates for a couple ice fishing contests held in Sullivan county. Recently found out via Email the Monticello Fire Dept. may not hold a contest this year. If this changes I will post any updates in this thread. Still waiting for a reply from Loch Sheldrake fire dept.
  Also thank you for keeping the discussion on ice thickness and safe conditions respectful of each others personal opinions. Remember there is a thread for Sullivan county small waters in the Reports& Conditions community/board. You will also find threads for a few other bodies of water in our section of NYS.
Steve

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Where do you park by Lake Superior I know it's off Duggan  RD do you park by the beach lot or by the boat ramp?
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Does anyone know if they are keeping the bubblers on at Glenmere this year? Or will it be open should it happen to freeze

Still no fishing at Glenmere this year per the village board... couple more years for the bubblers

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
Where do you park by Lake Superior I know it's off Duggan  RD do you park by the beach lot or by the boat ramp?
Most park by the boat launch and walk down. Was there Wednesday caught a couple, ice was good to go.
👮👮👮

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular

Last I was there, the parking lot was snowed in with 4 inches of snow. Many people parked on the side of the road on the northeast side of the lake.

Offline jig em

• IceShanty Rookie
Is it worth going to superior this weekend? haven fished it in years. any other safe ice in the area(5-6")? thank you in advance for any insight. 

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is it worth going to superior this weekend? haven fished it in years. any other safe ice in the area(5-6")? thank you in advance for any insight.

I've been doing well there in the past few days. I'll definitely be out there again this weekend... just have to know where to look.... :)

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kbaez try Marmish.com for the palm jig pole.

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
NYBasser I'm definitely fishing the wrong spot on superior. I was there last Monday I got one perch jigging all day. You posted you did very Well. Or maybe I just stink at fishing.  ;D
I'm going to try again this Sunday.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
NYBasser I'm definitely fishing the wrong spot on superior. I was there last Monday I got one perch jigging all day. You posted you did very Well. Or maybe I just stink at fishing.  ;D
I'm going to try again this Sunday.

I will be out on Sunday as well. The fishing has been fairly consistent, with the action slowing down at times, but the size has always made up for the lesser amount of fish. I'll be in or near a small gray shanty, feel free to stop by.

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well I def stink at fishing. Got blanked this morning on Sodom. I didn't even hook myself today. Really tough this morning. All lookers. Oh yeah and cold as .......
So I pose my question again. Has anyone fished the other side of the causeway at Sodom ?
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline Fishcicle

• IceShanty Rookie
How was the ice on sodum today. Thinking of giving the causeway a shot tomorrow. I have fished both sides but the main lake side produced better.

Offline Travis Rage

• IceShanty Rookie
Hope this cold helps with some spots!!!!

Offline smoyik

• IceShanty Rookie
Fished boyds northern end 4-5inchs of ice slow all day jigged up one little perch

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
hello guys just have been so busy with work & working on gear ....I have bee out 3 times so far with some success... :)
images.jpeg

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished lake Superior today jigged one small yellow perch up no tip ups  Was 17° with little wind , and hint to fishing this lake haven't been very successful

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kbaez try Marmish.com for the palm jig pole.

I will look into that

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
How was the ice on sodum today. Thinking of giving the causeway a shot tomorrow. I have fished both sides but the main lake side produced better.

Ice was about 5 - 6 inches. Thinner on the shoreline. But should firm up tonight. Didn't fish, just stopped by to check the ice and chatted with another fisherman who was jigging with no luck when I was there.

Planning on giving it a shot tomorrow.

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kbaez I have a hint for fishing Superior, keep moving until you find some fish. If that doesn't work stop by Shoprite's seafood dept. after you leave the ice for the day. ;D ;D ;D
I haven't been very successful there either, don't know whether to fish shallow or deep? I will be out there tomorrow to give it another shot.

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just a word of caution. The roads up here near Sodom are horrible. This snow packed down on the roads and its pretty nasty driving. Plows aren't scraping the hard packed snow off roads

Offline Fishcicle

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the sodum info. Both the ice and road status. See you up there in the morning.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have never ventured down to sodom before...this might the winter if we keep these nice cold nights...where do you park? Just on old Milltown road?...are you permitted ice fishing it just like any other lake for example with tip ups and a shanty ? Silly questions but dep can have silly rules with not so silly tickets!! $$!... yes ,I do have a reservoir permit and parking tag, just not familiar with this lake or the idea of ice fishing dep waters......wish we could Ice fishing roundout!!!...what's up with the manager contradiction?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Rather-B-Fishin  remember you can not use a gas powered auger on any of the NYC water supply reservoirs. I believe the the reservoirs in Catskills are closed to ice fishing is because there water levels fluctuate a lot since water is drawn from them and transferred to the reservoirs in Putnam and Westchester counties. It is possible for a large air gap to exist between the bottom of ice surface and water. It would be like standing on a drop ceiling not the strongest surface.
Steve

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rather B- yeah on old miltown. There is a bumpout. Right after the causeway coming from 22

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Rather-B-Fishin  remember you can not use a gas powered auger on any of the NYC water supply reservoirs. I believe the the reservoirs in Catskills are closed to ice fishing is because there water levels fluctuate a lot since water is drawn from them and transferred to the reservoirs in Putnam and Westchester counties. It is possible for a large air gap to exist between the bottom of ice surface and water. It would be like standing on a drop ceiling not the strongest surface.
Steve
Steve, in all my years icefishing, I never experienced any air space/gap between ice and water on a reservoir. I would be amazed it this ever happened,, wonder if anyone has pictures of this?. What I know what typical happens from my decades experience ,either the shoreline ice collapses as the reservoir levels lowered , causing the thick ice along shoreline under it's own weight to collapse. Than a steep and very slippery ice bank is cause for concern(but solid enough to support  especially over 6 inch thick ice if subtemps exist.. ice cleats are a must for steep ice shorelines.  When the reservoir water level rises the ice goes with it but not fast enough so, it floods along the frozen shoreline several inches of water on top of the shoreline ice waterproof boots are really the only options and a laddrer plank of whatever sort. but certainly not recommended for the inexperienced. Although I heard of air gap stories,, I never once experienced it.

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
It is going to be really close but than warm forecast days right after.. hopefully Harriman opens but doubt they bother to check ice thickness, anybody call ranger park station? guess i'll be heading up next week somewhere in Sullivan..should be safer and thickest ice yet this season!

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
It is going to be really close but than warm forecast days right after.. hopefully Harriman opens but doubt they bother to check ice thickness, anybody call ranger park station? guess i'll be heading up next week somewhere in Sullivan..should be safer and thickest ice yet this season!
I just called and they said they aren't even testing the ice yet.
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just a heads up Kingston gander has Eskimo 1 man crossover shantys 50% off. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.