New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1094531 times)

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Saw a guy casting onto the ice and reeling into the open water on the causeway at Sodom reservoir. Oh yeah by the way he parked in the middle if the road too.hmmmmm
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Well I got on the hard water yesterday afternoon ...felt great ...a good 5 to 6 inches of good ice over 6 feet of water ...not a banner day for me putting fish atop ice ..'cept for my buddy who found a honey hole for gills and his tip down produced some nice perch  ..my new Clam plate drill set up .. DeWalt 995 w/my SM 6" Lazer ...worked great ..with the coming week temperatures not getting above freezing ...most of my local lakes should all be lock up by weeks end.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
no honey hole for me last eve, one keeper crappie from tip down, otherwise jigged a bunch of sunnies, one beautiful pumpkinseed.    love those tip downs! I was keeping minnow ~1 foot above bottom, caught the perch the other night and the one crappie at that depth, is 1 foot best??    ???

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Well I got on the hard water yesterday afternoon ...felt great ...a good 5 to 6 inches of good ice over 6 feet of water ...not a banner day for me putting fish atop ice ..'cept for my buddy who found a honey hole for gills and his tip down produced some nice perch  ..my new Clam plate drill set up .. DeWalt 995 w/my SM 6" Lazer ...worked great ..with the coming week temperatures not getting above freezing ...most of my local lakes should all be lock up by weeks end.
You getting out on private lakes or public?
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hi shellfish.
No ice for me today, near shoreline at my typical access is weak. Football!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
You getting out on private lakes or public?

Private ...its usually the first area to have fishable ice that I am familiar with in my area ...for some reason just does every season ..little wet and run off today is sure to muck thinks up till freeze up later on ...and throughout the week...think its a no fishing day thanks for the report BlueSail ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey Moose, when its FIRST ice somewhere, and EVERYBODYS asking (not looking for themselves), Its PRIVATE.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Loudmouth you are going to love that LX-7! Picked one up 2 years ago and used all my cabela's points, well worth it and sounds like you got a steal!
Play with the screen, I found that I liked all three displays at once, scrolling for memory and jig presentation, flasher in the middle full water column and the vertical showdown display zoom-locked on the bottom 10' or where-ever I seem to find the fish.
Very cool fish-finder, little heavy and wish it fit in a bucket but like the vexilars but otherwise perfect. Looking to get the open water transom and use it on the res in the spring!
CONDITIONS? any word on  big pond or other places with public access in Sullivan,Ulster or Delaware counties? I like a good 5" under me for reassurance.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good afternoon I did a scouting mission in Sullivan County yesterday afternoon. Also was able to get info. on two contests please check the contest thread started by adkRoy stickied at top of New York community/board.
  There were two groups fishing on Morningside Lake in Hurleyville both groups were close to shore on Brinkman road side of the lake. I talked with a gentleman  fishing to the right of Playground(when viewed from parking area on top of hill) Four inches of black ice with light snow cover in that area. Shore line was solid no sign of melting. Loch Sheldrake sign of melting and refreezing by dock at bottom of stairs (State access area) I spuded my way out 100 feet or less from shore cut a hole. My spud was through the ice in two hits finished hole cleaned it out  ice measured approx. 1and 1/2 to 2 inches in thickness. I did not go out any further onto the lake .This was behind BUN & KEl's bar.
    I did not get to Loch Sheldrake until 5 PM. so it was the last lake I checked before heading home.   Also stopped at Diamond Lake in Winding Hills park, Town of Montgomery -Orange County. Unsafe ice conditions signs are up shore line still open in areas. Hopefully by the end of this week. the lake will be opened for fishing. I will look through my ice fishing notes and post the phone number of ranger station at Winding Hills later.
Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Heck 4".... I'd be fishing no problem

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shellfish, thanks for the update, thinking of doing a recon up to BP tomorrow and hit everything in between.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Well it looks like the BIG CHILL started at 11 pm last night for my area  ...not above freezing till next Sunday around noon time.. a lot of them nights are in the teens ... :flex:.. what aint locked up will sure to be by weeks end

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Greetings fellow SENY ice anglers,here is the phone number for ranger station in Winding Hills park(Diamond Lake) Town of Montgomery/Orange County. (845)-457-4918
Also for everyone info.      Sterling Forest Visitor's Center (845)-351-5907    , Lake Tiorotti field office /Harriman State Park (845)-351-2568  Definitely call before heading to Sterling Forest or Harriman State Park you can only ice fish on certain lakes ,also both parks require a six inch minimum of inch before opening lakes to fishing. There should be signs by the lakes where ice fishing is permitted. If you see a green stripe at the bottom of sign the lake is open for fishing. Due to a limited number of park rangers many lakes remain closed regardless of weather. They can not get to every lake to test ice conditions on a daily basis.

Also for your info. the Swan Lake,NY. fire department contest is Sunday Jan.24 from 7am to 3PM . I'm sorry but can not find any other info. on this contest. Only know about contest date because I drove by Swan Lake fire house and they had a sign outside.

I will work the phone later today and see what if any details I can gather on other contests in Sullivan County.
Remember safety first and a good ice fishing season to everyone.
Steve

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anybody checked out Highland lake yet. I'm in Middletown and it's a little bit of a ride for me to go up there and find that there is no safe ice.
Any info would be appreciated. Hopefully this cold spell will lock things up.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
Has anybody checked out Highland lake yet. I'm in Middletown and it's a little bit of a ride for me to go up there and find that there is no safe ice.
Any info would be appreciated. Hopefully this cold spell will lock things up.
highland lake is private. if you have permission from a land owner ask them...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looks like a snow storm coming on Saturday

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Well I will take 4 inches . Between Accuweather , TWC, WU and MSN...light snow to 12 inches  :%$#!:

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good afternoon/early evening , I made a few phone calls today and have news on the Fallsburg Fire Dept. contest.
  The contest has been canceled for this year. Echo/Alta Lake where the fire department has property contains a few springs so given this winter's weather to date the fire dept. has concerns about ice thickness and conditions .

I also called the contact numbers I have for Loch Sheldrake Fire Dept. and Mahogany Ridge Hunting Club (Highland Lake) contests. I left messages with both  people waiting for return phone calls. Via Email contacted Monticello Fire Dept. got a reply that I would receive another Email once they set contest date. This was last Monday (1/11). I will send another Email tomorrow and see if contest date has been set.

Dave327 to my knowledge Highland Lake is private .Other then the contest I mentioned held by hunting club there is no state access that I'm aware of for the lake. I realize you may know a lake front property owner and have permission to use their property to access the lake.
Steve

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for the info mr.clean. I always accessed the far side of the lake by the cove. No one ever stopped or questioned me about having permission to fish the lake. I guess I was lucky, or they are not strict about who ice fishes there.

Offline GreekUPS

• IceShanty Rookie
Any reports of ice conditions up at White Lake in Sullivan?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

With 3 posts , you can access the NY Reports and Conditions board...

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Go check it out and let us know!

Offline GreekUPS

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks...

Offline GreekUPS

• IceShanty Rookie
For the info

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
You should add your location to your profile....

Offline GreekUPS

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks Diehard for some direction but it doesn't look like any reports for that lake yet. 

Loudmouth....u live closer.  Go check it for us.  Some of us have work and kids.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
The smaller lakes up my way are locking up as I type ...not outa freezing range for seven or more days ..the larger bodies of water between depth and wind action (quite windy right now) will take some more time .

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks Diehard for some direction but it doesn't look like any reports for that lake yet. 

Loudmouth....u live closer.  Go check it for us.  Some of us have work and kids.

Your not the only one... I didn't even get holiday pay today  :o

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hey There, White lake is open. Kaneanga side where boat ramp is has ice, probably not safe.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
beachwoods 16 You should add your location to your profile and WELCOME to the site .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.