New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095276 times)

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
Out with Qteam on Welch. We just had a park employee tell us the park is officially closed for fishing. With over 20" of ice, I cannot understand why. I called Tiorati and spoke to a Mr. Driver. His explication is that there is a current that eats away the ice from underneath as well as the many streams that erode the ice. Strange, being he could not explain how that was found to be, since we saw no test holes by the launch. Mr Driver is the assistant to the director who was unavailable because he was in a meeting. I am unsure as to how they determined the exact reason they closed the lakes other than the date. There is no open water on Welch and the top is firm with no slush or run off. Maybe they had a predetermined date already in place. This is ridiculous.
It is what it is....

Offline BloodGroove4570

• IceShanty Rookie
Out with Qteam on Welch. We just had a park employee tell us the park is officially closed for fishing. With over 20" of ice, I cannot understand why. I called Tiorati and spoke to a Mr. Driver. His explication is that there is a current that eats away the ice from underneath as well as the many streams that erode the ice. Strange, being he could not explain how that was found to be, since we saw no test holes by the launch. Mr Driver is the assistant to the director who was unavailable because he was in a meeting. I am unsure as to how they determined the exact reason they closed the lakes other than the date. There is no open water on Welch and the top is firm with no slush or run off. Maybe they had a predetermined date already in place. This is ridiculous.

Just What I figured! The folks (IDIOT'S) in that park have been doing this same CRAP for years!?? They are CLUELESS!!!!! SUM BEACHES :(  !!!!!

There's never a dull moment

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ih..but Sabego is open..so why Sabego and not Welch? Oh..because of the current..Seriously?
incredible.
Feel free to call Tiorati and ask for Mr.Driver. He will be happy to explain it to all.
Oh..and "someone" called the Park Police who arrived and via the patrol units PA system informed is "THE LAKE IS CLOSED..GET OFF"
Hmmm..I wonder who called.
Last thing..Welch was open at 8am this morning when we arrived. I respect the powers that be and the fact they are worries about others risking their lives to just walk around the ice. But do the think that these same individuals would care about a sign posted stating the ice is unsafe? I doubt it.
It is what it is....

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
... they do this because of the cross country skiers and hikers imho.. but understand why they do close them with all them cross country and hikers running around..

That was not my point..placing the blame on why they close lakes on Hikes and Skiers? Really? The point was that Mr. Driver explication was that there is such a increase in the current of Lake Welch, that in just one day (mind you last night temps were below freezing which I mentioned to him in our cinversation) conditions deteriorated to the point they had to close the lakes. Even with no visible test holes, names of those who checked the edges for such deterioration.
A fellow Shanty member believes it is their way to load all ice anglers onto one lake, Sabego, to make it easier to keep on eye on us. But I ask, when was the last time someone e ice fishing died in Harriman? Never. But there have been numerous drownings.
just plain ridiculous..
It is what it is....

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
as for swinging bridge a good friend went there today and only caught 1 crappie and has 2 other hits all day. that place can be and has been like the dead sea. i was there 2 days last week and both days there was very little action, not just for me but everyone there said very little action...   NOT A GOOD PLACE TO BRING A KID!!!

This is the truth. Hit it for the last time today: one crappie, a chub and a 12-inch, hook jawed brook trout, which was a first. If you can find a weed bed you might manage some panfish but otherwise this place is tough fishing at the moment.

Offline BloodGroove4570

• IceShanty Rookie
What I love most is that they want us to follow the rules and they don't even follow they're own. It says 6"  min of ice for it to be opened and SAFE. Its 2' now and they close it up....?? Ahhh more dumbazz ny laws to follow. It's time for this hillbilly to get out of this state!!!!!
As for safety, yeah plenty of drowning's in the park, but I only remember 1 from icefishing. That was 30+ yrs ago and not on a "designated" fishing lake, not that that would have mattered most likely anyhoo....

Be safe everyone, on the 18"-2' of ice....

BloodGroove4570

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
What I love most is that they want us to follow the rules and they don't even follow they're own. It says 6"  min of ice for it to be opened and SAFE.

Where does it say that?
It is what it is....

Offline BloodGroove4570

• IceShanty Rookie
Where does it say that?

It's always been that. It says it on a sign near the red/grn flags. At least it always did....

BloodGroove4570

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
. that was Sebago..anyway get over it and think open water or head north for safe ice.

Get over what? I am in total agreement with a state run park closing down a lake if it is unsafe. The ice is safe. At least it was today when we left Sabego, which was still open. I don t like someone giving me an uneducated explication simply because they are following the direction of an equally uneducated individual in charge. And if we as outdoorsman do not question such an explication like "The currents under the ice are deteriorating the ice. You just can't see it." then we are exactly what the state wants. Sheep. And you can just go along your merry way. I myself feel it's time for the taxpayers in this state to find out exactly how things get done intend of just going with the flow.
It is what it is....

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
SWB reservoir is the Mongaup river dammed up at the lower end of SWB and again at the lower end of Mongaup falls reservoir and then again at the end of the Rio reservoir and then it flows down to the Delaware river unimpeded. No fish can migrate up from the Delaware past the dam at the loew end of the Rio but any fish that are in the Mongaup river above route 17B can certainly get down into the SWB, Mongaup Falls and the Rio reservoirs. Lots of tiny brooks and streams flow into the Mongaup river so a Brook trout or carp in SWB is not surprising at all but they are lucky to have not been eaten by a bigger fish.

GaryL
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was all over Welch on Sunday and drilling everywhere as well.  They are nuts if they deemed it unsafe.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
i caught a carp in swinging bridge last week! on one of my spoons.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
I was all over Welch on Sunday and drilling everywhere as well.  They are nuts if they deemed it unsafe.
Exactly. Glad the "current" didn't break up the ice on you and that you made it off safe..lol.
It is what it is....

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
Funny enough, i was with catskill on Sunday on Welch. I told him if I could, my truck would be on the ice, its a full size nissan titan. MINIMUM OF 22 INCHES OF ICE

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Funny enough, i was with catskill on Sunday on Welch. I told him if I could, my truck would be on the ice, its a full size nissan titan. MINIMUM OF 22 INCHES OF ICE
Incredible, right? Just wish Mr Driver had given me an educated explination. Hopefully I will be able to address this issue with the man in charge of park operations.
It is what it is....

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
So it gets funnier. This morning when a call was placed to inquire if Lake Sabego was open, this was the reply..
"Sebago is open..but I wouldn't risk it."
You just can't make this stuff up...
It is what it is....

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
I have seen them send someone to test the ice at Stahahe a few years ago. Funniest crap I've ever seen!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline BloodGroove4570

• IceShanty Rookie
I seen them testing Hessian this year. The tester was wearing a survival suit, had a rope around the waist going back through the pintle hook on the truck and 3 others holding on the rope!..?.?.??? :-)
If'n I wasn't running late I would have stopped and took a video of that cluster xXxX!!!!#
And this was about 3 weeks ago? :-D

BloodGroove4570

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I don't know why you guys waste your time with them theres plenty of public waters with better fishing in the area

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
I don't know why you guys waste your time with them theres plenty of public waters with better fishing in the area

Feel free to PM me any and all spots on the Rockland/Orange border.
I really like fishing the Harriman chain of lakes, and other than Mr Driver, I have never had an issue with anyone other than some Citidiots...
It is what it is....

Offline BloodGroove4570

• IceShanty Rookie
I wasn't fishing when I seen that,  I was driving by on 9W...

BloodGroove4570

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Harriman is hands down some of the best fishing in the lower NY region! I have found better trout fishing, but for bass and panfish, none better!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Harriman is hands down some of the best fishing in the lower NY region! I have found better trout fishing, but for bass and panfish, none better!

My cousin and I can fill half a jet sled in 3 hours of 8-10" sunnies, 9-12" perch and 10-13" crappies 5 minutes from my house.... If that's not good panfishing idk what is

Feel free to PM me any and all spots on the Rockland/Orange border.
I really like fishing the Harriman chain of lakes, and other than Mr Driver, I have never had an issue with anyone other than some Citidiots...

I go the other way Orange/Sullivan if I need to

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
My cousin and I can fill half a jet sled in 3 hours of 8-10" sunnies, 9-12" perch and 10-13" crappies 5 minutes from my house.... If that's not good panfishing idk what is

Understood. Having a nice honey hole close by is ideal. But one of the biggest reasons I fish Harriman other than the close proximity to where I live (less travel time more fishing time) is that there are many times when my free time to fish is limited due to other responsibilities. I wish I had a pond or lake close by that would be a sure thing each time. But honestly, I kinda like the thrill of the hunt, running and gunning till we find them.
But again, if you know of a place on the  Rockland/Orange border that is hot..feel free to PM me
It is what it is....

Offline BloodGroove4570

• IceShanty Rookie

That's catching and sounds like a Great spot!!! I look for those but I've come up short so far....

Tight line's to everyone....

BloodGroove4570

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
That sounds like work and too easy at the same time. Besides when do you get a chance to drink your beer?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That sounds like work and too easy at the same time. Besides when do you get a chance to drink your beer?

Work not at all most are gills which we don't target but are happy to catch. Drink your beer while your cleaning fish!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
i have still been going out. going tomorrow evening i hope.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Palisades park commission is a frustrating organization to try to understand. ...although I have several friends who work for them...if the public only aware of the crap they need to put up with on a very regular basis from their charming nyc crowd ...we would  be astounded. ..but it sure doesn't make it easier being chased off ice thick enough to drive a school bus! I have tilson lake right in my backyard. ..and we can't go ice fishing there either....guess who manages that body of water! ?!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Never  hear of anyone mention round or walton in monroe ...is that a secret or taboo?  Seems to get a decent amount of fishermen. ..plan on hitting tomorrow after work run and Gun with jigging. ...I have had very limited luck this season with tip ups...90% of my fish of all species have been jigging. ..hope these cold night stick around and just maybe the forecast for the weekend could be wrong!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.