New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1093950 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Details of Orange County location ... http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=woodbury   details of the PA store... Cabela's Hamburg, Pennsylvania Retail Store is located just off I-78. In addition to offering quality outdoor merchandise, the massive 250,000 sq. ft. showroom is an educational and entertainment attractions, featuring a decor of museum-quality animal displays, huge aquariums and trophy animals interacting in realistic re-creations of their natural habitats.
    looks like is going to be quite a bit smaller ....
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
The thing to remember is a lot of any retail store's square footage is taken up by displays and warehouse space. Still will be nice to have the store a short drive from me. I like to see the item in person especially the pricey items.
Steve

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
I took my mom out to dinner at the Ruby Tuesday's in Middletown Galleria. We stopped in Gander Mountain after dinner wow have they changed the store Loud Mouth is correct the size of floor space used for fishing equipment is greatly reduced.
Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I took my mom out to dinner at the Ruby Tuesday's in Middletown Galleria. We stopped in Gander Mountain after dinner wow have they changed the store Loud Mouth is correct the size of floor space used for fishing equipment is greatly reduced.
Steve

Not just fishing equipment but hunting equipment as well

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Fellow S.E.N.Y. Ice Shanty members I need your help this past ice season I purchased a Frabill 101 in-line combo (27 inch quick tip rod/101 reel) . The reel is taped to the cork handle of the rod. I'm going to change the reel and wondered if anyone knows of a bait shop -sporting goods store that carries Frabill Reel Tape ?  Frabill claims this tape does not leave any sticky residue on the rod handle when removed like Electric tape will, on the rod handle grip. Frabill sells the tape for $7.99 before ship/tax on their website. I would like to buy the tape for lower price or find a similar product. I know some people use Cold Snap Reel Wraps or live stock castration bands to attach the reel to rod handle. I'm afraid the reel wraps or band will leave an indentation in the rod handle. My thanks in advance for your help with this project.
Hope everyone has had a good open water fishing season to date as always stay safe and enjoy the water.
Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Fellow S.E.N.Y. Ice Shanty members I need your help this past ice season I purchased a Frabill 101 in-line combo (27 inch quick tip rod/101 reel) . The reel is taped to the cork handle of the rod. I'm going to change the reel and wondered if anyone knows of a bait shop -sporting goods store that carries Frabill Reel Tape ?  Frabill claims this tape does not leave any sticky residue on the rod handle when removed like Electric tape will, on the rod handle grip. Frabill sells the tape for $7.99 before ship/tax on their website. I would like to buy the tape for lower price or find a similar product. I know some people use Cold Snap Reel Wraps or live stock castration bands to attach the reel to rod handle. I'm afraid the reel wraps or band will leave an indentation in the rod handle. My thanks in advance for your help with this project.
Hope everyone has had a good open water fishing season to date as always stay safe and enjoy the water.
Steve

l also believe athletic tape may also be used

also try http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/frabill-reel-tape?a=912821     wait for free shipping code... comes up quite often ...usually with $ 49 purchase but from time to time no minimum purchase required  ... found some good deals through them last season ...they recently updated/upgraded their website so its much easier to navigate
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Thank you for the information. That is the best price I have seen on the reel tape. I will have to see if there are some other items on the website I would like to purchase. I hate paying an amount equal to or more then item's price for shipping.
Steve

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Fellow SENY located members over in the General Ice Fishing community there is a new member thread started by new member DJTJR . This member lives in Westchester county and is looking for information on the Croton water system. I posted a reply saying to check out this thread and the NY. Reports and Conditions community. I'm hoping some of you who still log-in this time of year will reply to his thread and besides welcoming him be able to give the info. he seeks on the Croton system. Everyone enjoy your summers stay safe and good fishing to all.
Steve

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  Just ckecking in to get some info on this year's  tournament's & I see the thread on top of board  ...wow a cabelas in woodbury would be cool , I have been to 2 of there stores very nice... the traffic is tuff in woodbury sometimes ...

images.jpeg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Went to the Middletown Gander Mtn .....they sill have the Lodge ...I had thought it was used for stock since the remodel ....so if WE are interested in having a SENY meet again we can seek a date/time  and book it again..... very open for suggestions to make it better including a different  meet location  .Last meet was a lil sparse due to weather . I know some members hunt and have other obligations so accommodating everyone may be a task ...but if we start early enough it may all come together . Looking forward to all replies.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'd be interested.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thinking may be Winding Hills park(Orange Co) or Morningside park (Sullivan Co ) for the on ice meet both places have good parking and seem to be plowed throughout the ice season ...although both are not known to be great fisheries both are easy to get to and not a tough walk to get on the ice.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
In the same area as Gander Mountain is the Town of Wallkill town hall they may have a community room we could rent. Also believe they have recreation park or center. Being close to major highways makes these places good locations for a preseason meeting .

Since the access to Winding Hills and Morningside is easy and both places have seasonal campgrounds their respective lakes see heavy fishing pressure most of the year. Also winding hills operates similar to Harriman state park and requires a certain ice thickness before allowing ice fishing.
Steve

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
That would be cool if we could put something togather ...I went to 1 a few years back & met iceballs & a few other shantie members...
had a nice time but I didn't stay to long...Lot's of fish ...& a good time ...

images.jpeg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Went to Gander Mtn yesterday the date for the pre ice gathering is NOVEMBER 8th 2014 I hope we can all make it

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
With over a year to plan it, it should be great.   What about one for this year???   Lol ;D

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
good catch kb  :clap: .....didn't have my morning java just yet ...will you be  in  attendance ?

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm definitely hoping too. It will depend on my work schedule, sometimes I'm scheduled to work the weekends.   If not, I'll be there.

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
I should be able to make it but I'm not sure what I should bring... Do you need any help with anything?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
RF ...don't have an exact list ....as time gets closer I'm sure to think of things ...been telling members to bring a show and tell item or a topic that you are familiar with for discussion or just a interesting topic you'd like information on etc...I'm sure some new articles and fancy lures and methods will be the talk for  the new ice season ...so stay tuned

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
I AM WITH YOU- i LOVE ice fishing,and have for a LONG time"about 1944"
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hardwater Diehard thank you for the time and effort you have put into organizing this event. I'm writing down the date and will ask for the day off from work. Redneck Fishfinder if you own a ice suit or have a popular rod or combo bring it with you I will bring my Arctic Armor suit , a couple different styles of tipdowns and a NO.8 Code Blue straight/inline rod reel combo in ultralite action. If enough members bring different suits we can compare features and discuss each suits good and bad points. But more important then any gear come and share your knowledge and stories with others the larger the turn out the more influence it will have on Gander Mountain to increase and improve on their ice fishing gear offering. If both the fishing dept.and store manager can tell their district manger that 50 or more people showed up for this event it should affect the amount and variety of gear Gander stocks in the future at the Middletown store. I work in retail and know sales drive most decisions but if there is enough potential demand we may see a wider selection of products in the store.
Steve

• Team IceShanty Addict
I just use Carhartt bib overalls, I don't have a kool suit. I have a 2nd generation Jiffy Pro4, That's the only kool thing I have. Everything else is pretty basic. I swear by the Pro4 though, it's been very dependable for 2 years. I might bring that if everyone else doesn't already have it.

I think Gander Mountain is in some trouble when Cabelas opens up! I haven't been to Gander since last winter but last time I was there they were replacing their bait section with a starbucks and they took down most of their mounts to accommodate PETA people. I don't think they're in favor with a lot of sportsman after that... The opening of a Cabelas nearby could be the end of that store. 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I think Gander Mountain is in some trouble when Cabelas opens up! I haven't been to Gander since last winter but last time I was there they were replacing their bait section with a starbucks and they took down most of their mounts to accommodate PETA people. I don't think they're in favor with a lot of sportsman after that... The opening of a Cabelas nearby could be the end of that store.

I was in there a couple weeks ago looking for some conibear traps and they got rid of those too all they have are those stupid have a heart traps.... but the store is mainly freshwater open fishing supplies, footwear, clothes, and camping stuff.... it is a shame. 2016 cant come soon enough lol. On a different note stopped by the Cabela's in Connecticut on my way home from vacation in Cape Cod today and was very impressed with the store they sure know how to use all of the 185,000 square feet in the store

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
I'll be there.  Got some "goodies" to bring along with me.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
RF I used Carhartt Arctic Extreme bibs before buying  my suit. Hopefully Gander Mountain will have it's selection of ice fishing gear in the store and on display. So I say leave the auger at home if you attend any of this seasons on-ice gatherings you can give us a demo. at one of them, Thank you for the offer.
Steve

• Team IceShanty Addict
That's what I figured- I'll pass it around the lake at one of the gatherings. I wonder what's really going through the heads of Gander Mountain's upper management...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Little  event going on upstate NY ...listing and ice fishing seminar ...http://www.southerntieroutdoorshow.com/show-info/seminars/

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
SENY in the house ...myself ,mr clean and Boss Jigs ...only ones on line @ 4:17 am est

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.