Author Topic: extensive burbot cleaning instructions(20 pictures)  (Read 31745 times)

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
extensive burbot cleaning instructions(20 pictures)
« on: Feb 24, 2004, 01:38 PM »
Ok first, take your burbot and secure its head, it works good if you cut under their jaw and hang them up.

next take your knife and cut around their head just below the pectoral fins and gill plate.

take your pliers and pull the skin away from the meat all around the cut you just made.

pull the skin down the body of the fish, it peels right off...sometimes it grabs a little belly meat. don't worry about it.  Also, alot of times the skin will break while puling down, just take your pliers and grab the top of the remaining skin and pul down.

Next, (optional) remove the dorsal and anal fins by taking the pliers to the bottom of each fin and pull up towards the head.

this gives you a nice groove to guide your knife while you fillet and makes your fillets come off cleaner

make a cut behind the pectoral fin perpendicular to the backbone

then run the knife along and parallel to the backbone down to the ribs on the same side. 

after you get past the ribs, push the knife all the way through and cut parallel to the spine till the end of the fillet.

pull the meat away and cut it away from the ribs,

when you get to where the ribs get easy to cut through slice down the ribs and cut through the belly meat where desired to remove the fillet.

one burbot fillet coming up!

do the same on the other side.

Alright! sweet success 8)

dispose of the burbot carcass responsibly.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
Re: extensive burbot cleaning instructions(20 pictures)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2004, 03:41 PM »
 8) Well done Jake!

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2004, 07:15 AM »
I would Like to thank Jake for His Photo's. They are well descriptive and Very easy to follow. Burbot Cleaning for Dummies book coming up. LOL. ALso jake your idea is great because your right near the dumpster no mess for you to bring home..Just nice fillets of burbot. (Claps for jake) Thanks Jake for your time and effort on this burbot lesson. Ill be hanging them from now on:> Thanks again.
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2004, 08:09 PM »
Good post dude.  Now if I could only catch one of them! :)
Let there be ice.

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2004, 08:45 PM »
I know, I have never even seen one.. I wanna

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2005, 02:25 PM »
Thanks Jake! That was awesome! Now, If I can only get the nerve up to eat one of these grusome monsters, I will follow these instructions. Can you post some pike cleaning instructions?

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2005, 12:11 PM »
Excellent pictorial, Jake - thanks for taking the time! I'm gonna tell other's in Maine about this post!
Scott Wright

Offline Whiskey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I love to be out doors!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2005, 05:43 PM »
A friend from work showed me the same thing last year. Works awesome!
Jake you post some good picks, , , please keep'em coming. Wat the largest Ling you've cought? & do you have some picks to share? Thanks A bunch, , ,
Whiskey
[/b]
We live to fish!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2005, 09:28 AM »
Easy whiskey. Careful on Jake. He got hooked up with some woman last summer that doesn't think much of his fishing ways. He is only 22 yrs old and is following her every wish. I thought you couldn't bring a good fisherman down but i guess I was wrong. He has retired from fishing for this year, just give him some time for the relationship to settle down. He will be back. I've been there and done that. He also says he is very busy with school and work ??? ??? ??? I'm quite disappointed that I won't be getting some competition from him in the tourney this year. Check alot of previous posts here and he has some pics of bigger ones. They are similar to the ones you showed me. Nice, thick and long. He fishes a river for them up in Alaska, or should I say used to fish there.

trapperdirk

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2005, 11:06 PM »
Yes Terry I think we might have to have a memorial day for the once mighty slayer of Ling ,,,Fishermanjake . :'( Who would have thunkit that  our fellow warrior on the ice would have been so easily smitten by the batting of an eyelash from a young filly :-\ .It seems the Ling no longer hold the attention of the former Fishermanjake . I guess maybe we have to call on the Ling god to save the former Fishermanjake before he buys a ring . ;)

TD

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2005, 11:34 PM »
Its probably too late for the ring thing. But ya gotta believe he will be back someday. May take awhile but I'm sure he will be cuddling up to his filly one night, when he will get a whiff something fishy... the lights will come on... and he will remember all the beautiful ling he used to fillet. And suddenly the fish in bed won't look as good as the fish in his memory.....

Offline Whiskey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I love to be out doors!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2005, 06:22 PM »
Terry I think you should be a poet , , ,or , , , something!!! Well spoken words, , , and , , , stuff, , , Eh!
We live to fish!

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2005, 07:04 AM »
I dont profess to be a burbot cleaning expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but that method seems a little rough. This is how I do mine now...I just learned how, and would never go back.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:59 AM »
I,ve done your method as well kill&grill. A lot less work but you lose more meat along the spine close to the back bone. As you can see from your pic, there is a little still there. Just cut over the spine instead of down both sides and remove the little skin flap (that was left in your pic) then you can fillet closer. I cut down both mudlines and and then connect the 2 lines over the top. I noticed also you left out the best part, the cheeks. Yum Yum :P

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2005, 03:48 PM »
I've done both ways. 
The thing I like about Jake's way is:
when you pull the skin off, it's like turning a sock inside out.  You then don't have to deal with all that slime because it ends up inside of the sock.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2005, 10:49 AM »
Potato: Po tato. She tastes good.

grumpymoe

« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2005, 09:01 AM »
After skinning afew burbot this winter, I thought fishermanjake's way was the only way to go....until i followed killitandgrillit's method....no more skinning for me....Grump 8)

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2005, 01:01 PM »
Terry- Im not entirely sure where the Potato bit came from

Grump- Yup, I used to be a skinner too. I wouldnt even consider doing it any other way now.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2005, 02:40 PM »
K&G, terry is just trying to say "to each his own" both methods are good. I personally cant beleive you guys eat those things.

grumpymoe

« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2005, 03:40 PM »
K&G, terry is just trying to say "to each his own" both methods are good. I personally cant beleive you guys eat those things.
.....icejunky.....for years I would cut the line whenever I hooked one.....Ontario raised boy knew no better.....last year I was determined to get past the look/squirming fish and try it.....Never again will one go back.....my oldest grandsons are typical picky young boys that would rather eat captain highliner nuggets.....and when I deep fried the burbot......there was no stopping them.....Grump

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2005, 04:31 PM »
...Im not usually your picky eater, I love all seafood Squid and Octopuss, mussles and all. But That fish creeps me out. I still want to catch one.

grumpymoe

« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2005, 04:42 PM »
icejunky....I pretty well have tried most of the seafood available from around the world......and there's dozens of things I probably wouldnt try again....but burbot is not one of them....ymmmmmmmmmm... ..Grump

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2005, 04:46 PM »
Ditto what Grump said Icejunky.  Give them a try!!! 8)  
I grew up fishing walleye and sauger throughout the Fox River valley of Wisconsin.  The burbot or "lawyers" that we caught were nice but NEVER kept!  When I moved to Alaska, I was convinced by my native fishing partner that our burbot were really edible.  Now taking any culinary advise from someone who thinks seal oil is the best dipping sauce on earth, may have been a risk. :-X  So with hesitation..... I tried it out, and never tossed another burbot back.  
Guess it "may be" where you live?  Perhaps in your area burbot taste nasty?  Maybe not?  I wouldn't eat a burbot out of some of the cesspools I fished back in Wisconsin, but other waterways were crystal clear and probably supported great eating burbot.
Burbot have been confused with the likes of carp, drum, and other bottom feeders.  Truth is, burbot do feed on the bottom, but they like fast food and not organic settled solids.  Our burbot feed mostly on baitfish and sea lamprey in a river flowing at 7 knots, not easy for a slow bottom feeder.  Guess I could go on and on.... but it's up to the individual!  Somedays, I wish more folks wouldn't target burbot!  There's a couple areas around my area that are actually overfished, and have been shutdown or restricted greatly. :-[
Sorry I rambled...  Burbs are pretty tasty Icejunky! ;)  We'll give you plenty of recipes...
TEAM ALASKA

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2005, 10:27 PM »
I love sa burbot :P

Taste good, even out of my shorts :woot:

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 26, 2005, 09:11 PM »
Never would have guessed that was coming TGF...for those of you not sure about eating burbot, remember that they are the only freshwater members of the cod family...so if you are good with cod, you may as well try their cousins.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 26, 2005, 11:53 PM »
LMHO!  Terry ya look like a grizz!  Hope you don't smell like one! :D  Oh man!  The rest of your photos finally developed!  Whoa! WoW, I see the bush is getting to you Terry, time for a little R&R where you not exposed to any fish or small mammals. 8)  Germ, You thought YOU got worked up over lings!  Let's see some Germ on Burb love... keep it G rated! ;D 

Slipbob- Catch a couple for me!  You'll be happy with em'.  Poor mans lobster!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 27, 2005, 09:40 AM »
Germs fish are just babies and that would be incestuous ;D

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 27, 2005, 12:02 PM »
OH, I get the Potato thing now. Thanks for cluing me in.

TGF...holy man. That is wrong on so many levels. French kissing a burbot..I know you said you loved burbot, but not that you LOVED them. PITA (the animal rights group) would have a feild day with funky burbot loving  :P

What I like is the loving look in your eye on the third photo, and the "holy $h!t" look on the burbot's face. Ok, maybe it's just that his jaw is stretched way out.

Most of us dont kiss our women that well. Funny nonetheless.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #28 on: Oct 28, 2005, 04:30 PM »
Barelydog, if you ate walleye out of the fox river  ???  a lil ol burbot would some fine eating!  :P  ;D

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 29, 2005, 07:27 AM »
yeah, anything out of the fox would be pretty questionable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.