The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: rubber band technique?  (Read 4924 times)

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
Re: rubber band technique?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 12, 2009, 08:41 AM »
I think we've started something here.....how long till it hits the papers or the Sportsman Journal....I'm sure everyones favorite writer will claim he invented the idea... ;)2

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #31 on: Mar 12, 2009, 09:33 AM »
I think we've started something here.....how long till it hits the papers or the Sportsman Journal....I'm sure everyones favorite writer will claim he invented the idea... ;)2
didn't think he actually ever got his hands wet.......... :roflmao:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline anglers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Mar 12, 2009, 06:09 PM »
i hear you guys talking about rubber bands on tip ups. was curious on how this works? wanted to try some big suckers for muskie and togue but the darn things pop the flag all the time. ive had to break thier backs w/ my knife to stop them from doing this. fin clipping doesnt even slow them down. any info is appreciated. pm me if you prefer. t.y.
A dead sucker on the bottom is deadly for pike in Mar. Dont be afraid to use them up to and over 12 in long.

Offline baitbuckit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 12, 2009, 06:38 PM »
cut the suckers down the belly and let the guts hang out!  slows them down just enough ,and the fish seem to love it

Offline mslayride

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 15, 2009, 07:38 AM »
a way to use the rubber bands on jack traps:

on your support or cross piece attach rubber band about half way out on this support,attach another rubberband to the original band and stretch down and just barely loop around the outside reel handle/nipple...the angle should be about 45 degrees.(cross piece to reel)
this snubs the reel to allow the circle hook to set itself but also allows bigger fish once hooked to trip the band(without breaking it) thus freespooling.

experiment and you will figure it out if my desription is vague

good luck all

Offline Flatlander2Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I got my game face on now! Come'er Fish
« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2009, 07:44 AM »
Rubberbands only work for Obluu, Tiny, Smeltslayer and Buddah - I am convinces of that LOL

Might as well call them the Rubberband Man's

Here fishy fishy fishy

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #36 on: Mar 15, 2009, 09:29 AM »
Rubberbands only work for Obluu, Tiny, Smeltslayer and Buddah - I am convinces of that LOL

YA ok    You should try it sometime cityboy .

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 15, 2009, 09:31 AM »
I tried them for the first time on Friday. I did not give the fish enough line to trip the flag but both of the traps had perched hooked up when I checked them.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #38 on: Mar 15, 2009, 09:34 AM »
I still have to perfect it ,But i'm liken the bands .  I give them 2 or 3 raps on the spool before they get stopped by the band and it seems to work .

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #39 on: Mar 15, 2009, 10:01 AM »
Must be something to it, when I was out on Sabattus at statewide talking to the IS gang, this subject came up and we all pulled rubber bands out of our pockets.  ;D We all just started laughing.  :tipup: I think it might be catching on.  ;)

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 15, 2009, 01:51 PM »
we tried it on one trap yesterday and it was the only flag we never had a flag on go figure have to try it again soon
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #41 on: Mar 15, 2009, 07:32 PM »
YA ok    You should try it sometime cityboy .
yeah no kidding 99.8% hookup rate this weekend!!!  For Me and Duck Hunter ;D ;D ;D
 Oh yeah and I use them on Jack traps, from the original style to my BIG BOB'S, just put the band around the reel

Offline bootsnthejeep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Mar 17, 2009, 12:51 PM »
Another vote for the bungee bands! My gear will now always include a bag of rubbers!

Wait, that came out wrong...

Offline nofishin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 17, 2009, 12:56 PM »
rubber bands have changed the way we all fish.  i don't know who the credit goes to but budda showed me and i have never had better luck fishing.  now the key is to find more bands "rated" for 5 lbs.  they are our there ask smeltslayer. 

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #44 on: Mar 17, 2009, 01:24 PM »
yeah no kidding 99.8% hookup rate this weekend!!!  For Me and Duck Hunter ;D ;D ;D
 Oh yeah and I use them on Jack traps, from the original style to my BIG BOB'S, just put the band around the reel
YES SIR....I am also HOOKED....even though I have Heritage Lakers...I like it around the reel too....I am Now A RUBBER BAND MAN!!!

Offline OLBLUUU

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big
« Reply #45 on: Mar 17, 2009, 01:29 PM »
i heard there was new product on the market ,..........BUDDAHBAND#19,................BUT they  are on backorder.... ;D ;D

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #46 on: Mar 17, 2009, 02:53 PM »
i heard there was new product on the market ,..........BUDDAHBAND#19,................BUT they  are on backorder.... ;D ;D

;D ;D :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #47 on: Mar 17, 2009, 04:30 PM »
Haven't tried it yet, but I do pan to. Does this technique work well with any style hooks or just circle hooks?

Offline nofishin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Mar 17, 2009, 04:33 PM »
patent pending?

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 17, 2009, 06:40 PM »
Haven't tried it yet, but I do pan to. Does this technique work well with any style hooks or just circle hooks?

I don't know how well the bands would work with regular hooks due to them needing to be set.Circle hooks are designed to set with just resistance,this why longliners were the pioneers in using them.The fish would set themselves with just the resistance of the polly ball or high flyer and stay alive much longer due to the fact they were "lip" hooked instead of gut hooked,therefor their catch was fresher.That's where I got the idea from after fishing the "05" Sebago derby and every flag I got was a run and drop.I've fished that way ever since.

Offline OLBLUUU

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big
« Reply #50 on: Mar 17, 2009, 07:56 PM »
...................... ...................... ..still on backorder , not available til '10 ............... hopefully by the first  ;D ;D ;D

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #51 on: Mar 17, 2009, 08:10 PM »
I've tried it with both style hooks and it seem to work fine. The touge I caught sunday was on a #4 hook and it was stuck in the hard part of the jaw.
Steve

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #52 on: Mar 17, 2009, 08:11 PM »
I don't know how well the bands would work with regular hooks due to them needing to be set.Circle hooks are designed to set with just resistance,this why longliners were the pioneers in using them.The fish would set themselves with just the resistance of the polly ball or high flyer and stay alive much longer due to the fact they were "lip" hooked instead of gut hooked,therefor their catch was fresher.That's where I got the idea from after fishing the "05" Sebago derby and every flag I got was a run and drop.I've fished that way ever since.
Say you use a large sucker  :flex:and the trophy fish of your dreams takes the bait :woot:, if it does not have the whole bait in its mouth and the hook is outside of the mouth then the hook may pull from the bait  :%$#!:hence losing the largest togue ever landed in the beautiful state of Maine :sick: :sick: I have used circle hooks for 20years halibet fishing and they are by far superior
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Mar 17, 2009, 08:26 PM »
I use large suckers all the time,i'm talking 10"++,dead,right on he bottom.I hook them through the thin part of the sucker lip leaving plenty of gap exposed.Most of the time the fish takes the bait head first and i'm hooked up no problem.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.