New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Information on Trout fishing in close to Capital Region  (Read 6887 times)

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I want to start Trout fishing this spring. Not  Fly fishing, just spinners and worms. I was wondering if anyone could give me some locations on where to fish for them. I don't want small stockies, I would like to take a few home to eat. Not Lakers either. I'm lookin for  Rainbows, Brown, and Brookies.
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Information on Trout fishing in close to Capital Region
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2009, 06:33 PM »
Kayaderosseras Creek

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2009, 06:35 PM »
Kayaderosseras Creek
  Where though? I don't know of any spots except where it crosses the Northway.
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2009, 06:49 PM »
  Where though? I don't know of any spots except where it crosses the Northway.
Start in the Rock City Falls area on Route 29. You can follow it in either direction.
Lots of nice holes and some decent holdovers.

I would listen to JJ though  ::)

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Hey JJ! Any specific locations? Sorry, I never fish small streams or for Trout.I would like to get into it tho. Spawning Bullhead and Perch get a lil boring after a bit. I'm in Colonie and don't wanna have to travel too far if I don't have to, no more than a half hour or so. Thank you in advance.
EL CAPITANO !!!

JJ

« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2009, 08:47 PM »
Hey JJ! Any specific locations? Sorry, I never fish small streams or for Trout.I would like to get into it tho. Spawning Bullhead and Perch get a lil boring after a bit. I'm in Colonie and don't wanna have to travel too far if I don't have to, no more than a half hour or so. Thank you in advance.

I haven't fished either very much and haven't been in a couple years, but both are good for holdovers and aren't too far from you. Both rivers start in Vermont and are stocked by Ny and VT. The Battenkill has plenty of public access, Walloomsac has more private land. Sorry I can't be of more help, check them out on a map and take a ride.

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2009, 08:51 PM »
I haven't fished either very much and haven't been in a couple years, but both are good for holdovers and aren't too far from you. Both rivers start in Vermont and are stocked by Ny and VT. The Battenkill has plenty of public access, Walloomsac has more private land. Sorry I can't be of more help, check them out on a map and take a ride.
Cool! Thanks for the info.
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline pgachef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2009, 06:36 PM »
I want to start Trout fishing this spring. Not  Fly fishing, just spinners and worms. I was wondering if anyone could give me some locations on where to fish for them. I don't want small stockies, I would like to take a few home to eat. Not Lakers either. I'm lookin for  Rainbows, Brown, and Brookies.

Check the stocking report .. There is a stream over near mowhawk mall the back road that od heck is on .  Lashakill I think the name is???  There is a bridge on that road thats where they stock it..

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2009, 06:41 PM »
   Check the stocking report .. There is a stream over near mowhawk mall the back road that od heck is on .  Lashakill I think the name is???  There is a bridge on that road thats where they stock it..
Yeah I know where Lisha Kill is. They do stock iy right in Colonie but I'm looking for a little more size in the fish. Ones I can eat. Thanks tho.
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2009, 10:04 PM »
Poestenkill Creek!!!! Glass Lake!!
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2009, 12:01 PM »
I spend a lot of time on the battenkill. Route 29 outside Greenwich has some really good access. And the fishing is fairly easy. Just remember it is a river not a stream. It's been known to sweep an angler or two off there feet. Most of the goos pfr sights are beyond the hollingsworth&vose mill. Be careful and check the regs book fishing there. Live bait is fine until you get to salem. What helped me the most finding new trout streams was the sportsmans connection book. Lake contours are a little off but it is excellent when you are looking to mix it up. The mettowee river is another fav of mine. I access it in Granville. Good 'ol Washington co. has some of the best trout fishing in the state. FYI I've gotten a few ticks fishing the Battenkill. 
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline nightrunner06

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2009, 09:19 PM »
just wondering, im also from colonie what kind of trout do they put ion the lisha kill and how big are they
FLAG!!!!!

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2009, 10:48 PM »
Lisha Kill Colonie 320 March - April Brown Trout 8 - 9 inches
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline HudsonRiverRat1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Waiting for ice!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:26 AM »
Try Kinderhook creek.Theres some good access off of Rt.20.THe 2nd green bridge has a big parking lot and some nice holes.Look at it on google in the Nassau area.Theres plenty of places to get on and some decent fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.