The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Long Pond Problem  (Read 7576 times)

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
Re: Long Pond Problem
« Reply #30 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:05 PM »
Do perch count ??    ;D

Yes    all those little perch are good feed for Bass and pike .

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #31 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:06 PM »
i like that we have huge pike here and i think there all closet cases lol.Who wouldnt want to catch something like that.
obviously alot of people since they fish for them ???

Yes    all those little perch are good feed for Bass and pike .

Well there is no pike in there ( yet reported ) but there is crappie and it is stunting the growth of them.  I can promise you this and people that fish this pond will tell you the same thing.  If anything we are just trying to deplete the population.   The auger thing was just all in fun looking to make people laugh.  If I knew you guys were going to get in a big hissy fit over it I wouldnt of posted it especially since everybody does nothing but complian about perch.

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:12 PM »

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #33 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:16 PM »
   SST don't get me wrong I loved that video . I just thought it was a little bit funny to hear you talking about not wanting to see people kill fish just for fun .     It seemed kinda 2 sided thats all .

Back to the post .  I DON"T THINK ITS THE BASS THAT KILLED THE SALMON FISHING IN LONG POND.  I agree with JimP

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:17 PM »
of course it does Kevin how do you think those bass in Tacomas get so big ;D

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:26 PM »
Salmon need smelt to live and from what ive herd theres not allot there.It is to bad i dont want to see anyones fishing go down hill it kinda sucks :-[I think everyone should have a good time no matter what there fishing for.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #36 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:33 PM »
I was looking at a number of ponds around the state and the species that are in them on the state site. Donnell Pond, Flanders Pond and Sabattus are a few, and after the state tells you what is in them they'll say that due to illegal stocking of bass the small brown and brook trout are being cleaned out of the brooks. They say Donnell Pond had a native stock of salmon, but the bass are eating them also. The state also admits to making a mistake in stocking Lake Trout in Donnell Pond causing harm to the salmon population. Most of the time though it's the introduction of Bass that have them concern the most. Then on the other hand, the state said that they stocked Sabattus with bass because of the runoff from the houses around the lake that caused it to fill up with vegetation. At the end of each survey they say that stocking should be left to the state. I like to feel the tug of any fish, but would rather catch Tuna than Harbor Polluck. Maybe it's good to thin out some species that seem to overtake a lake, because if you don't you'll have a bunch of hammer handles. I asked our state biologist if we could put some pickrel in our pond on the island to eat up our yellow perch population and he said after they eat up all the perch then what? Who knows, the way the state is going we'll be lucky to catch a perch in the future.
Steve

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:43 PM »
I was looking at a number of ponds around the state and the species that are in them on the state site. Donnell Pond, Flanders Pond and Sabattus are a few, and after the state tells you what is in them they'll say that due to illegal stocking of bass the small brown and brook trout are being cleaned out of the brooks. They say Donnell Pond had a native stock of salmon, but the bass are eating them also. The state also admits to making a mistake in stocking Lake Trout in Donnell Pond causing harm to the salmon population. Most of the time though it's the introduction of Bass that have them concern the most. Then on the other hand, the state said that they stocked Sabattus with bass because of the runoff from the houses around the lake that caused it to fill up with vegetation. At the end of each survey they say that stocking should be left to the state. I like to feel the tug of any fish, but would rather catch Tuna than Harbor Polluck. Maybe it's good to thin out some species that seem to overtake a lake, because if you don't you'll have a bunch of hammer handles. I asked our state biologist if we could put some pickrel in our pond on the island to eat up our yellow perch population and he said after they eat up all the perch then what? Who knows, the way the state is going we'll be lucky to catch a perch in the future.

You don't need pickeral in your pond,you need New Yorkers!

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #38 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:44 PM »
Bass and Salmon occupy different niche's. I think salmon are only native to 4 places in Maine. Everywhere else they were introduced. If we don't respect what other fisherman enjoy we disrespect other fisherman.

Offline flyfish_tfo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:50 PM »
And they'll survive when you throw them back :)
Yeah... Just as long as you don't kill them ;D

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:53 PM »
Bass have stricter limits on them than salmon and trout.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:57 PM »
I'm just telling you what the state feels about bass being introduced into a salmon pond, it has nothing to do with respect or disrespect. Some fish breed like rabbits and the more fish you have in a puddle the less there is for survival. I've seen schools of pogies come into a cove and all die for lack of oxygen.

The New Yorkers that come to the island in the summer ain't into fishing buddah.
Steve

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:02 PM »
The New Yorkers that come to the island in the summer ain't into fishing buddah.

Figures  ::)

Offline troutnstout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:07 PM »
Bass and Salmon occupy different niche's. I think salmon are only native to 4 places in Maine. Everywhere else they were introduced. If we don't respect what other fisherman enjoy we disrespect other fisherman.

Amen.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #44 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:08 PM »
Wine and cheese. ;D
Steve

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #45 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:15 PM »
In the summer of 2001, we received reports that some camp owners were catching smallmouth bass off their docks in the outlet cove. Sadly, in August, a biologist confirmed their presence. As this illegally introduced species increases in abundance, some will move into the outlet where they will compete with and prey upon wild young of the year salmon. Unfortunately, this is yet another classic example of how the epidemic of illegal introductions by the public is destroying some of our best fisheries. Maine’s highly important fishery resources are suffering considerable damage from these insidious acts.

This was from the Donnell Pond Survey, doesnt  seem like different niche to me.

Smallmouth and largemouth bass are both non-natives but widely established in southern, central, and parts of eastern Maine. Since 1986, Maine fishery biologists have determined that illegal introductions have established new populations in 57 additional lakes! One of these illegal stockings occurred at Umbagog Lake in the upper Androscoggin River drainage, where they now threaten one of our nation's premier wild brook trout populations. Largemouth bass are being illegally introduced into many Downeast waters at an alarming rate with unpredictable consequences to long established, economically important smallmouth populations.

Steve

Offline mainemark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:20 PM »
If I may,can i paint a picture of my views? When i was a kid,i was raised by my father,that a fish was a salmon,and brookies lived in the brooks and was caught in may-june. When i became a teen,i started to fish for smallmouths,and wasnt it fun! My father would scold me for wasting my time with trash fish!!!! Well, im 41 years old now,and we have largemouths here now,and i consider these to be inferior to the smallmouth. Some jerk stocked them,and now they will never go away.I think of my dad when i ponder this new species of fish.He was one of the old-timers that thought of nothing but salmon/trout /togue. Now here i am 25 years later, and i mourn for the black bass that i used to catch! What will my kids remember when they grow up?

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #47 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:44 PM »
Steve, the whole stance that the state has toward "invasive" fish is ridiculous. Historically Bass were moved around willy nilly by the state. Umbagog was stocked by NH F&G. When these same fish migrate they claim they were illegally stocked. Musky came from Canadian F&G. Most Maine lakes were historically baron of trout and salmon. The reports you cited are just one bio's opinion piece and more likely reflect his own bias. Did he actually observe bass cleaning out the salmon? Or is this conjecture on his part. How many stomach's did he sample? Obviously this lake was stocked with salmon as I don't think they were native there.

It ends up being all about preference as man started playing GOD with fish a very, very long time ago. All this talk about what is pure makes no sense to me. How do you have stocked salmon and say they belong and stocked bass are not?

Offline ferrari175

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:51 PM »

I know, but I'm really tired of listening to all these people talk about "slaughter" and what not.  Worst of all is that some of the people who are showing photos of dead fish with their guts hanging out are fishing in areas I told them about!  UGGG!  That's why I haven't been posting photos or much of anything else.  Too many people coming here just to kill the fish that many of us like to fish for.  I just don't get it.  On top of that, you see posts from people saying "where are all the fish?".  Well, these people are just killing them all.  Whatever . . .

[/quote]

And sadly these same people consider them seles "sportsman" I think the wasting of any species fish fowel or otherwise is unaccepable and should not be tollerated at any leve.   People who take part in these actions should have their privlage to hunt or fish revoked/

just my $0.02

It is a PRIVILEGE to take any animals life not a right and that privilege comes with some responsibility a license to fish and hunt is a license to be a sportsman not a license to kill

Offline spinzer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:53 PM »
On the topic of plastic baits (2 pages ago) I just wonder why no one has come up with a biodegradable solution? Worms, craws, etc that after so long just harmlessly dissolve. Now that might be a money maker right there for someone.

Offline ferrari175

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:53 PM »
I hear that.  I remember back in the day we use to just bite off the top inch or so fo the bait and spit it in the lake.  Never thought twice about it.  Now we know that fish are eating those pieces and croaking. 

:o  I cant remmber who I learned that one from  ???

It is a PRIVILEGE to take any animals life not a right and that privilege comes with some responsibility a license to fish and hunt is a license to be a sportsman not a license to kill

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #51 on: Mar 03, 2009, 09:04 PM »
The gulp products are all biodegradable. I think some of the others are as well.

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Mar 03, 2009, 09:05 PM »
kill every pike you see
"many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after"

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #53 on: Mar 03, 2009, 09:09 PM »

Offline mainemark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 03, 2009, 09:18 PM »
Steve, the whole stance that the state has toward "invasive" fish is ridiculous. Historically Bass were moved around willy nilly by the state. Umbagog was stocked by NH F&G. When these same fish migrate they claim they were illegally stocked. Musky came from Canadian F&G. Most Maine lakes were historically baron of trout and salmon. The reports you cited are just one bio's opinion piece and more likely reflect his own bias. Did he actually observe bass cleaning out the salmon? Or is this conjecture on his part. How many stomach's did he sample? Obviously this lake was stocked with salmon as I don't think they were native there.

It ends up being all about preference as man started playing GOD with fish a very, very long time ago. All this talk about what is pure makes no sense to me. How do you have stocked salmon and say they belong and stocked bass are not?
I love this post!!!! Salmon were not an native species around here,but they have become the holy grail  among most people.

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Mar 03, 2009, 10:07 PM »

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Mar 03, 2009, 10:09 PM »
kill every pike you see

people who have this attitude are no better then the bucket bio's in my opinion. bucket bio's put fish in water that they want to catch, you on the other hand wanna kill fish just because you don't like them....same thing in my book.

if i may, i would like to point out another reason for the demise of long pond salmon. i wish the salmon/trout fisherman would think back over the years and add up all the trout/salmon they have kept. a female brookie carries an average of how many eggs? i know not all eggs that hatch will survive, but if everyone practiced catch and release, well, every little bit would help and improve the fishery little by little. maybe some stiffer regs would also help. im also glad to see this thread is remaining civil.
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline bbpinecone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 03, 2009, 10:25 PM »

Jim, I've got to disagree.  There is a difference between 'invasive' and 'introduced'.  Have you ever heard of any salmon in Maine being described as 'invasive'?  Wiping out other species?  The only place I can think of that might apply is Deboullie (an accidental stocking), and even that is a stretch.  I'd prefer to trust the judgment of a biologist stocking salmon according to a plan, than some idiot toting a pail full of bass yearlings to a pond because he wants to catch them there.  That's how I say stocked salmon belong, and "stocked" bass do not.  There have been bass introductions in 200+ Maine lakes in the last thirty years.  I'd be willing to bet the state was only responsible for a small fraction of those.  The bucket toting idiots account for the rest (including I believe, Umbagog).  Most Maine lake were barren of trout?  Really??  Or is this just conjecture on your part...   In Long Pond, the salmon fishery has been ruined by illegal introductions of invasive species (pike, landlocked alewife).  Which species were decimated by the introduction of salmon decades ago by biologists?  Just throwing it out there...  Ryan

Offline EASTGRANDEST

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Serious
« Reply #58 on: Mar 03, 2009, 10:38 PM »
This might sound stupid, but from an honest stand point.

Can smelts be stocked?, if yes, can they reproduce??
,we call them junk fish!

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #59 on: Mar 03, 2009, 11:09 PM »
This might sound stupid, but from an honest stand point.

Can smelts be stocked?, if yes, can they reproduce??

They can and are stocked just very expensive! State doesn't really like to do it.  >:( I fell it would bring a lot of ponds back if they did stock smelt.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.