The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Long Pond Problem  (Read 7572 times)

Offline anglers

• IceShanty Rookie
Long Pond Problem
« on: Mar 03, 2009, 04:47 PM »
The decline in Salmon fishing has been hurt the most by the Small Mouth Bass . 15 years ago trolling (spring or summer) you would catch 10 Salmon to every Bass, now 20 Bass to every Salmon. The Bass are eating up all the smelts and now its like fishing up to Indian Pond below Moosehead..Most people know how the Bass killed the Salmon and Trout fishing up there. Also the plastic worms in the Salmons gut do not help. I love catching Bass  in a Bass lake, but not Long Pond. I kill my one Bass every time I go there.

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Long Pond Problem
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2009, 05:00 PM »
The decline in Salmon fishing has been hurt the most by the Small Mouth Bass . 15 years ago trolling (spring or summer) you would catch 10 Salmon to every Bass, now 20 Bass to every Salmon. The Bass are eating up all the smelts and now its like fishing up to Indian Pond below Moosehead..Most people know how the Bass killed the Salmon and Trout fishing up there. Also the plastic worms in the Salmons gut do not help. I love catching Bass  in a Bass lake, but not Long Pond. I kill my one Bass every time I go there.

Thanks im sure every bass fisherman im Maine will appreciate that !!!! 

Not everyone has man love for salmon  sorry to have to tell you that  ???

We all need to protect the fishing in Maine water    50ryrs from now our kids will be reading about how Maine fisherman tried to regulate fish population on there own and wiped out several fisheries while doing it we have people in place who manage these waters let them do there job !!!

Offline fishfindah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:14 PM »
Thanks im sure every bass fisherman im Maine will appreciate that !!!! 

Not everyone has man love for salmon  sorry to have to tell you that  ???

We all need to protect the fishing in Maine water    50ryrs from now our kids will be reading about how Maine fisherman tried to regulate fish population on there own and wiped out several fisheries while doing it we have people in place who manage these waters let them do there job !!!

Well said.   :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:20 PM »
Once again what's done is done. Now for all the salmon worshippers to reply  ::).....

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:26 PM »
thats great is a smallmouth will fight just as hard if not harder then a salmon thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:33 PM »
whats great is a smallmouth will fight just as hard if not harder then a salmon thanks for the update :thumbsup:

;D

Offline I walk on water!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:35 PM »
Smallies put up a wicked good fight :tipup:

Offline fishfindah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:36 PM »
Smallies put up a wicked good fight :tipup:
And they'll survive when you throw them back :)

Offline I walk on water!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:38 PM »
And they'll survive when you throw them back :)
 ;D :clap: :clap:

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:38 PM »
I can't get over all the people on this board who like to kill fish just because it's not the species they like the most.  
What about the people who enjoy fishing for bass or pike or whatever?  I guess that doesn't matter.

Offline CrazyDave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If it smells like fish...wash it!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:39 PM »
Long live the smallies!!!  

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:39 PM »
I can't get over all the people on this board who like to kill fish just because it's not the species they like the most.  
What about the people who enjoy fishing for bass or pike or whatever?  I guess that doesn't matter.

Sorry to say mike but we wont win

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:41 PM »

its a never ending battle but this is usually a summer time post

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:42 PM »

Well I'm not to sure about this one .  Sebago is one of the best Salmon lakes in the state I thought ???  I know it has tons and tons of smallmouth in it . Sooooooooooooo   are you sure its the bass ??????????????????

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:44 PM »
thanks GB i was ready to say that but moosehead is great to.that will get it going :P

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:45 PM »
Sorry to say mike but we wont win
I know, but I'm really tired of listening to all these people talk about "slaughter" and what not.  Worst of all is that some of the people who are showing photos of dead fish with their guts hanging out are fishing in areas I told them about!  UGGG!  That's why I haven't been posting photos or much of anything else.  Too many people coming here just to kill the fish that many of us like to fish for.  I just don't get it.  On top of that, you see posts from people saying "where are all the fish?".  Well, these people are just killing them all.  Whatever . . .

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:47 PM »
I know, but I'm really tired of listening to all these people talk about "slaughter" and what not.  Worst of all is that some of the people who are showing photos of dead fish with their guts hanging out are fishing in areas I told them about!  UGGG!  That's why I haven't been posting photos or much of anything else.  Too many people coming here just to kill the fish that many of us like to fish for.  I just don't get it.  On top of that, you see posts from people saying "where are all the fish?".  Well, these people are just killing them all.  Whatever . . .

I agree with you

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:47 PM »
do you want to go salmon fishing and see what they eat mike?

Offline fishfindah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:51 PM »
do you want to go salmon fishing and see what they eat mike?
I'll go with you and tally up all the rubber worms..........

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:52 PM »

What do you think i use live bait lol

Offline fishfindah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:54 PM »
What do you think i use live bait lol
:roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:56 PM »
I wrote an article on that topic this past year right before it came out in Field & Stream.  It really is amazing how many plastic baits are on the bottom of our lakes and how bad they are for the fish.  Of course I fish with a TON of them myself, so I'm a hypocrite.  But seriously, I think that's going to be the next huge change in fishing.  I wish I could figure out the solution - I'd be RICH!   ;D

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:56 PM »
I agree with you

Are you kidding me ????????????   You agree you don't like to see the slaughter ????????   What about perch ??????   Some like perch to ...   Your going to hurt yourself with one leg on each side of the fence    OUCH    Talk about a hypocrite .

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:58 PM »
I wrote an article on that topic this past year right before it came out in Field & Stream.  It really is amazing how many plastic baits are on the bottom of our lakes and how bad they are for the fish.  Of course I fish with a TON of them myself, so I'm a hypocrite.  But seriously, I think that's going to be the next huge change in fishing.  I wish I could figure out the solution - I'd be RICH!   ;D

gulp is good i try to put everything that is used in the boat but you no its hard when you get stripped :-\

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:00 PM »
I hear that.  I remember back in the day we use to just bite off the top inch or so fo the bait and spit it in the lake.  Never thought twice about it.  Now we know that fish are eating those pieces and croaking. 

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:00 PM »
Are you kidding me ????????????   You agree you don't like to see the slaughter ????????   What about perch ??????   Some like perch to ...   Your going to hurt yourself with one leg on each side of the fence    OUCH 

;D was waiting for something like that but to each there own right.  What do you do with all your 3 to 5 inch perch when you catch close to 50 of them and none are bigger than that.  You dont try to deplete the population to get them bigger ??   I dont know maybe I am just a hypocrit or I could be correct depends what side of the FENCE you are on !!! 

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #26 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:00 PM »
The bass are not the problem, the pike are not the problem. THERE ARE NO SMELT LEFT IN LONG POND! The bass feed well on the alewives, that is why you see healthy strong bass. The alewives are the problem. The salmon are NOT NATIVE to long anymore than the bass.

Mike... I too am sick and tired of the senseless slaughter. Maine is one of the only places I have fished where the concept of "trash fish" is accepted. I don't know what it is going to take to change this. My lake is in for a hammering like you've never seen this weekend. There are some guys coming down that ought to know better too. All on a pipe dream of winning some stupid prize they will likely never win.

I have one question for the self appointed killers of the trash fish -- who appointed you GOD?

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:01 PM »
Are you kidding me ????????????   You agree you don't like to see the slaughter ????????   What about perch ??????   Some like perch to ...   Your going to hurt yourself with one leg on each side of the fence    OUCH    Talk about a hypocrite .

ouch big diffrence i think if anything hurts the bait its perch and thats what the salmon and the others eat but you never here that its eather pike or bass or something big ;D

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:03 PM »
I have one question for the self appointed killers of the trash fish -- who appointed you GOD?

Do perch count ??    ;D

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:04 PM »
The bass are not the problem, the pike are not the problem. THERE ARE NO SMELT LEFT IN LONG POND! The bass feed well on the alewives, that is why you see healthy strong bass. The alewives are the problem. The salmon are NOT NATIVE to long anymore than the bass.

Mike... I too am sick and tired of the senseless slaughter. Maine is one of the only places I have fished where the concept of "trash fish" is accepted. I don't know what it is going to take to change this. My lake is in for a hammering like you've never seen this weekend. There are some guys coming down that ought to know better too. All on a pipe dream of winning some stupid prize they will likely never win.

i like that we have huge pike here and i think there all closet cases lol.Who wouldnt want to catch something like that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.