The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Last time my friends are using my stuff!!!  (Read 2285 times)

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
Last time my friends are using my stuff!!!
« on: Mar 02, 2009, 07:51 PM »
ok, i was skunked this passed weekend of fishing, except for a mangy pickeral. On saturday my buddy and i were walking around checking bait with my bait bucket in hand with the smelts i bought at stones in lewiston. we got to one of his traps, and it had no bait on the hook. so i generously give him one of my smelts, and sure enough, as soon as we get back to our base camp, he gets a flag on that trap, and pulls up his first rainbow he had ever caught. it was also the only gamefish he had ever caught fishing with me. Then on sunday, me and another buddy went fishing. he was screwing around on thin ice near a point and sure enough he fell through, but just up over the boot, as the water is shallow. this kid is a great softwater angler, but he normally struggles in the wintertime to catch trout. That is not the case for me this year. so far, i have been catching a lot of trout. i always carry an extra pair of boots around, for mishaps like this. so i let him barrow my boots, and sure enough he iced 2 decent brookies, his first 2 legal brookies that he had ever caught through the ice. both of my friends and i are convinced that it was me lending them gear that led to their sucess. and let me tell you. that will be the last time. hahaha. :tipup:
"many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after"

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Last time my friends are using my stuff!!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2009, 07:54 PM »
good fish karma will come your way :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2009, 07:55 PM »
That would make me feel good....at least your gear and bait gave someone GOOD LUCK.... :thumbsup:

Offline ICEDINN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:14 PM »
Sounds like a good FISH STORY to me !! ha!ha!

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:36 PM »
Hahaha! Well I will say you got two brookies and a rainbow on the assist!

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:42 PM »
I have to say way to go! Keep lending that helping hand. fishing isn't just about catching fish. It's the companions you have, the laughs, the down time. it all rolls into one. I've had some great times when I have never caught a fish.

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:35 PM »
I can't even begin to mention how many ppl here have helped me, just remember, "what comes around, goes around"  ;)

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:40 PM »
I can't even begin to mention how many ppl here have helped me, just remember, "what comes around, goes around"  ;)

You mean "Goes around, come around"   ;D

Offline Flatlander2Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I got my game face on now! Come'er Fish
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2009, 03:11 AM »
MEHunter knows the feeling, both times he has been near me for more than 10 minuteas talking i have flagged and bagged a nice fish.  Karna comes in many forms whether it be a pair of boots or a person who talks around your holes
Here fishy fishy fishy

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2009, 03:58 AM »
When I am bringing out someone that doesn't normaly fish hard water. I would almost rather see them catching fish. I brought a buddy and our two girlfriends out to one of my trout honeyholes last summer. His girl caught an 18" brown on a worm using a kids zebco 202. It turned them both  into addicts. The next time I brought them fishing, they show up with all there own brand new gear. I still take great pride in that scenario. It doesn't always seem to work out that well for a newbie. I enjoy it when it does. Especially when a newbie takes me to school.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline slt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:09 AM »
Can I borrow some bait and a pair of boots please? ;D I ain't caught a decent fish all season :%$#!:
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:15 AM »
im proud to be responsible for introducing people to icefishing. im also flattered if someone caught a fish because something i did or lent them. i had a father and 2 sons next to me on a western lake that showed up later in the morning because they took the ditch on the way in. upon getting on the lake they realized theyre bait died  due to a crack in theyre bait pail from when they took the ditch! and on top of that they couldnt get the auger started. by this time it was noon and me and a friend had iced about 20 fish total . i went over to talk to them and they were loading their gear back to leave. pretty depressed i might add. i gave them my bait pail. and told him for the rest of the day he and his boys owned my flags. talk about making their day! the flags kept flying and they landed about 15 togue kept 3 4-5lbers . and 2 real nice brookies! we all shared our food together and had a great time! they were from ellsworth area. made some great friends that day and everyone was happy! thats what its all about!

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:21 AM »
enjoy that is why its called fishing............... ... :laugh:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:54 AM »
im proud to be responsible for introducing people to icefishing. im also flattered if someone caught a fish because something i did or lent them. i had a father and 2 sons next to me on a western lake that showed up later in the morning because they took the ditch on the way in. upon getting on the lake they realized theyre bait died  due to a crack in theyre bait pail from when they took the ditch! and on top of that they couldnt get the auger started. by this time it was noon and me and a friend had iced about 20 fish total . i went over to talk to them and they were loading their gear back to leave. pretty depressed i might add. i gave them my bait pail. and told him for the rest of the day he and his boys owned my flags. talk about making their day! the flags kept flying and they landed about 15 togue kept 3 4-5lbers . and 2 real nice brookies! we all shared our food together and had a great time! they were from ellsworth area. made some great friends that day and everyone was happy! thats what its all about!

Hey jacksmelt71,

That story nearly brought a tear to my eye.  I recently took a long day trip with my two young sons. They were very excited. It was the first time all 3 of us were going on the ice together. Well, got there, set up, and waited.  My boys were very patient and understanding, but never even a flag. On the way home I apologized to them for the lack of excitement, but my 5yr old showed some early wisdom when he said he was just glad we all got to go fishing.  Maybe my story would've been different if someone like js71 had been there to save the day. WTG man!
I fish.                                                         

Offline toguetamer5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2009, 05:10 PM »
What are you talking about pike are game fish!!!! atleast according to some people on this site. ;D

Offline cdc

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2009, 05:29 PM »
What are you talking about pike are game fish!!!! atleast according to some people on this site. ;D
Get over it would ya !!!!!!!! It seems that every post a stab about pike comes up...

Icefisha,
 Gongrats on getting your buddies into ice fishing...And congrats on the fish.
I'd say your a great guide. ;)

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2009, 07:35 PM »
ok, i was skunked this passed weekend of fishing, except for a mangy pickeral. On saturday my buddy and i were walking around checking bait with my bait bucket in hand with the smelts i bought at stones in lewiston. we got to one of his traps, and it had no bait on the hook. so i generously give him one of my smelts, and sure enough, as soon as we get back to our base camp, he gets a flag on that trap, and pulls up his first rainbow he had ever caught. it was also the only gamefish he had ever caught fishing with me. Then on sunday, me and another buddy went fishing. he was screwing around on thin ice near a point and sure enough he fell through, but just up over the boot, as the water is shallow. this kid is a great softwater angler, but he normally struggles in the wintertime to catch trout. That is not the case for me this year. so far, i have been catching a lot of trout. i always carry an extra pair of boots around, for mishaps like this. so i let him barrow my boots, and sure enough he iced 2 decent brookies, his first 2 legal brookies that he had ever caught through the ice. both of my friends and i are convinced that it was me lending them gear that led to their sucess. and let me tell you. that will be the last time. hahaha. :tipup:
wait a minute you did not get us into icefishing I've been at it as long as you have just fished the junk through the ice mostly the boots were warm but it was about time my luck changed this year

good luck at east grand
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline toguetamer5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2009, 02:32 PM »
Get over it would ya !!!!!!!! It seems that every post a stab about pike comes up...

Icefisha,
 Gongrats on getting your buddies into ice fishing...And congrats on the fish.
I'd say your a great guide. ;)

Ok, he didn't get me or Litchfield Fisher into ice fishing, we've been doing this just as long as he has. He's just a good friend who is always willing to lend a helping hand. Good luck on East Grand buddy!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.