Author Topic: line  (Read 2717 times)

Offline 1926

• IceShanty Rookie
line
« on: Feb 25, 2009, 06:25 PM »
trying to rig up a jigging rod for lake trout take any advice on best line mono,flourocarbon spiderwire

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: line
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:32 AM »
Fireline works well or probably any braid would be just as good.  I use a three foot fluro leader tied on with a J knot.  Like the fireline better than mono and you wont have to respool or worry about bad spots in the line for the entire season.

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2009, 06:01 AM »
my preferrence is power pro line and 8 ft of flurocarbon leader joined by a uni to uni knot set up.    i use 20 # PP and 8# fluro.    the PP has the diameter of 6# mono and NO stretch, which means i can feel the slightest nibble in over 150 FOW
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2009, 06:16 PM »
What flouro are you guys using for your leaders? I'm gonna go with a leader next year to see how I like and and do the uni-uni knot. If there a "ice fishing" flouro or does just regular ol' flouro, like Vanish work for it??

Thanks
J-

Offline Trouty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2009, 08:47 PM »
Is it true that you don't need a leader with fireline crystal?  Should you use a leader with this line?

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2009, 11:28 AM »
I own a small tackle shop, and experimented with a bunch of lines this year, ended up liking trilene micro ice main line and p-line flouro-coated leader. The trilene was strong and the p-line flouro coated knots didn't slip! Still an ongoing experiment, alot of other ice lines coiled up when real cold!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline JEBADIAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • R.I.P. JEB
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2009, 08:01 AM »
2lb vanish line works good for me, managed to land some good size catfish and a few northerns with it this year with out snapping off. I was actually kind of amazed at the strength of this line,good stuff.

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2009, 03:30 PM »
What flouro are you guys using for your leaders? I'm gonna go with a leader next year to see how I like and and do the uni-uni knot. If there a "ice fishing" flouro or does just regular ol' flouro, like Vanish work for it??

Thanks
J-

the flourocarbon i use is the berkley vanish.   i use that year round for all my fishing needs
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2009, 05:45 PM »
thanks

J-

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.