Author Topic: Best electric Ice Auger  (Read 7797 times)

Offline ex-pug

• IceShanty Rookie
Best electric Ice Auger
« on: Feb 17, 2009, 06:46 PM »
I'm sick and tired a drilling through 12-14" of ice with a hand auger and since i carry all my stuff with me(no sled or RTV) I don't want a heavy gas auger. Whats the best electric Auger to buy? I mostly drill 8" holes

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best electric Ice Auger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:08 PM »
i'm not 100% sure but I think the electric augers may weigh more than a gas auger. you could buy an adaptor to use a cordless drill...works really well but the bigger the hole the fewer you can drill on one battery. I drilled like 20 4'' holes on a full 18 volt battery, 8-10 6'' holes on a fully charged 18 volt, and a whopping 3 8'' holes on a full charge 18 volt, those were with a fin-bore. Now, for a little extra $ a Nils Master gas auger is quite a bit lighter than your other gas augers and i guarantee its lighter than any electric auger.

Snot Rocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Check out one of our sponsers  Icegator   Best auger on the market   Made in the USA!  by a fishermen for fishermen   as of now up to an 8" hole using your existing auger bit   
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:44 PM »
im all for a srtikemaster 4 stroke its really light.. the electric augers a are a pain in the ##% especially if you have to carry a 50lb deep cycle battery with you. not many people will lend you a batt but almost everyone will give you gas!!

Offline zooplankton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:19 PM »
I'm sick and tired a drilling through 12-14" of ice with a hand auger and since i carry all my stuff with me(no sled or RTV) I don't want a heavy gas auger. Whats the best electric Auger to buy? I mostly drill 8" holes
[/quote
"ex-pug" ,your topic here is exactly the same thing I'm going thru........although I  have a sled
(check out my "Ice Rocket" in the topic my" ice sled for under $15.00") I pull a "Guide" by clam.
Anywho,  Iv'e been kicking around the same question, then some guys on the "Ice Shanty" 
were telling me about the "Ice Gator" the one in particular "The Attacker" it is for an 8" auger
with two different type of battery options........I chose the  9ah for the weight issue, 23 lbs.
I am not a spokesmen for the company, just a fisherman like yourself, my "Ice Gator " is do to
arrive tomorrow I'll be using it this weekend to give a better review, in the mean time check out the
web site for the "Ice Gator"..............Zooplank ton.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:22 PM »
I would like to recommend the Ice Gator. People love it. But unfortunately an electric auger isn't going to weigh much (if at all) less than a gas auger. As far as I know, the only option would be a hand electric drill. That won't be pretty with an 8 inch auger though. You can always use a spud bar but that kind of sucks..

All I can recommend is a Strike Lite. It weighs 20 pounds but its $500  :-\
Ice Gator is 23 pounds, but I think that is without the blade???

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:49 PM »
I would go gas if I was you. I actually got the chance to try an Icegator last weekand with a 6" lazer drill on it and its pretty quick. The guy who owned it said he has drilled about 75 holes on the batteries and they still had plenty of juice left. I can say I really think it was heavier then my lazer though.

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2009, 09:34 PM »
I have an IceGator mounted with a Nils 6" auger. Cuts like a champ. It's not really lighter than a gas auger, but it doesn't stink, it doesn't spill gas in my car, you can use it in a shanty, and it cuts lots of holes on a charge. Search for Icegator, someone gave a report that they cut 100 holes through 8" of ice on one charge.

To me, not having to deal with gas or exhaust fumes are both important.  And , it does cut really well.

gofish

Offline BUSTNDUX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2009, 02:14 AM »
I vote for the Icegator. There a sponsor.....click on the link at the top of the page and check them out. I have a Jiffy gas auger right now and I'm saving up for a new Icegator. No more spilled gas on my gear!!

Offline BUSTNDUX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2009, 02:16 AM »
im all for a srtikemaster 4 stroke its really light.. the electric augers a are a pain in the ##% especially if you have to carry a 50lb deep cycle battery with you. not many people will lend you a batt but almost everyone will give you gas!!

Get the 24V Icegator. It runs on two 12V batteries. Same kind you find in a Vexilar. From what I read you can drill a buttload of holes on one charge too!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2009, 06:00 AM »
Im on my second year with the icegator  and am sure glad I went that way!    lots of holes on a charge   Someday Ill learn   I always carry back up batteries with me   but never have to use them for the icegator   TV  dvd player sat radio  lol  yes   but not the icegator  I over pack for a trip anyway!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline ex-pug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2009, 08:00 AM »
Thanks for all your info. I contacted the comapny that makes Ice gator and they will get back to me. Bart

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2009, 08:14 AM »
The electric augers are much heavier than the gas ones but I think they are worth there weight?.
;

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2009, 08:17 AM »
The Icegator is the best one out there right now. Any power auger will be much heavier than a hand auger. Most electric powered augers these days don't require an external battery so you don't need the deep cycle batteries anyway. The Icegator will drill more holes on a single charge than most people really need in a day.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2009, 11:18 AM »
   Icegator in the best electric auger , hands down.   Yes it is heavier that a gas , but it always starts , has reverse to power clear your holes .   Doesnt leak gas and oil all over your gear . Is lightning fast , and very reliable.....
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline Xpressman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2009, 12:20 PM »
Here's the lightest power auger you will find. 13.7 lbs

http://www.nilsmaster.com/web2008_008.htm

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2009, 12:51 PM »
   The  Strikelite is actually the lightest at 20#.   The nils weight is for just the powerhead , with 8" auger its 21# , I believe....
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2009, 01:37 PM »
I was worried about auger wieght too.  It isn't really a big deal if you pull with a sled or flip-over shanty.  I didn't like the idea of battery augers because batteries wear down after time and don't run efficiently in cold.  What really sold me is a guy running a jiffy model 30 that was like 15 years old, and she would start on the third pull

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.