Author Topic: Syracuse Lake and Lake Wawasee Ice Report  (Read 3400 times)

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Syracuse Lake and Lake Wawasee Ice Report
« on: Feb 14, 2009, 04:17 PM »
There were two shantys out on the south shore of Syracuse Lake today. The ice is away from the shore on the North and East sides. There is open water from the Railroad Bridge all the way to the East Shore. The ise is pocked and rotten lets say from the RR bridge across to the middle of the North Shore and all the way East.

There is questionable ice West of that line but there were two shantys that made it on for several hours. I doubt they caught much because they didn't stay but a few hours.

On the West end a couple of the town streets leading to the water and park fronts could be accessed with a plank. However nobody has tried.
Overall Syracuse Lake is not making any ice nor is it losing ice on the West end.
The East end is losing ice due to warmer water flowing in from Lake Wawasee with those waters being pushed East by the prevailing West wind.

I drove all around Wawasee stopping by channels and popular access points to the lake. NOBODY was fishing the main lake body.

There were 5 or 6 guys fishing the Slip. Two were just walking in from about halfway from Oakwood from the Marina, toward the Marina. They joined two guys drilling and VEX checking holes and generally looking like nothing was going on. There was one shanty out and they must have been sight fishing because they had it shut tight.

I proceded around Wawasee to North Channel where someone left tracks in the fresh overnight snow down the length of the center of the channel. The edges were dark and I presume soft. Nobody was fishing.

I went over to the East side of Johnsons Bay where there were signs of people drilling and fishing the Johnsons Bay Marina channel but nobody was around.

The next channel south had a finger offshoot where a guy was drilling to set up his shanty.

And the next channel south of that had two fishermen who were just standing and talking as if nothing much was hitting. All channels had soft edges.

Enchanted Hills main channel was wide open as were several other channels as I cruised around the lake.

The Fish Hatchery access was open at the edges and a plank wouldn't bridge the gap.

Out in the main lake on the South Shore there were two ice boats sailing around.

Nobody was fishing the hole across from Wawasee Marina next to Morrison Island.

As I came around the curve on Rt 13 heading back to the Wawasee Slip Marina the cattails and swampy waters were wide open.

The channel on the slip was one third open and I have no idea how those 5 or 6 guys got onto the ice. They did not access it from the marina.

Overall I am thinking that the season is over. But we usually have ice out weather starting the second week of March. One good cold front from the Arctic and we might get in a day or two yet. I know--- false hopes.

Offline Kinger53

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Syracuse Lake and Lake Wawasee Ice Report
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2009, 05:05 PM »
You answered my questions, thanks for the detailed report!

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2009, 05:57 PM »
Someone got on the slip from oakwood.   I seen fresh shanty tracks in the snow.   Anybody from here??

Offline splash

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Its how you thumb it that counts
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2009, 09:46 PM »
with a detailed report like that you should be on tv!
thx

Offline chicagill35

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bottle Bass Guy
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2009, 10:31 PM »
 ft wayne we  need a reporter who is up on area fishing reports, instead of reporting who skiing on a hill somewhere, or shooting a turkey in Alabama.
Jim

Offline taggedfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2009, 10:36 PM »
ya, great report thanks

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2009, 05:57 AM »
Great report Rich......I think there is still hope around here.

Offline goldscupper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2009, 10:37 AM »
good job reporting need more people like you thanks

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2009, 12:38 PM »
Great report Rich......I think there is still hope around here.

There is a guy out from the South Shore fishing in his shanty. He has moved at least 6 times in 3 hours. I presume he is encouraged but not found the motherload.
We made skim ice overnight along the shoreline. I SAID SKIM ICE. In spots there is still open water. That means we didn't lose ice and maybe tightened the ice up.
There is hope but we need a big dump of cold air from the far north.

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2009, 05:28 PM »
Me and a friend from work are heading to the slip tomorrow.Are they getting on from the oaks?Any info appreciated.

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2009, 05:40 PM »
Me bad,I see there was someone that did get on from the oaks,Hope this is true,I know I've said I was done for the year,but the thought about one more outing on the ice is just too much of a draw for me.I have the whole day off from work and the ice is calling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Kinger53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2009, 09:17 PM »
Man, I'd be going if I was you.   Thinking I may try it this weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.