Author Topic: Quick Ice Anchor Method?  (Read 24186 times)

Offline nswiken

• IceShanty Rookie
Quick Ice Anchor Method?
« on: Feb 12, 2009, 04:56 AM »
Hello All,

This is my first post on IceShanty.com.  I have been learning some great techniques from you folks.  Thank you.

My question is what is the quickest way to screw ice anchors in place?  I have seen video of a gentleman using a cordless drill, but I can't figure out what he was using to clamp onto the ice anchor.

I have a Shappell 6000 pop up, and I really like it, but we have wind most of the time here in northcentral Montana, and I need to anchor down.  After about 4 anchors, my arms are pretty fatigued, and I'm not fishing while I'm putting up the shelter. 

I'm sure this question has been asked before, and for that I apologize.  I couldn't find anything with a search.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Quick Ice Anchor Method?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2009, 05:10 AM »
I just searched the word "anchor" and found a wealth of information. I remember seeing ice climber's anchors on here that are very easy to screw in, but are expensive? I went with the HT anchors but haven't had to use them yet.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline nswiken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2009, 05:16 AM »
There is alot of information there.  I have the Shappell anchors, four that came with the shelter, and eight more ordered direct.  They are heavy duty, and once I get them tapped, they do screw in failry well.  Sometimes the ice cracks around them, and I start over. 

Maybe pounding them in a ways with a hammer, then twisting them the rest of the way.  I just liked that cordless drill idea for the speed of it.

Offline imoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2009, 05:47 AM »
When i used  my clam, I would just drill a few holes by it .Put a 12" piece of wood tied to a rope put the wood and rope threw the hole with my skimmer and tie it tight. At the end of the day, just cut the rope by the ice. In the spring the wood floats to shore.<"(((><......

Offline nswiken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2009, 07:24 AM »
My neighbor gave me two good ideas, but I already have the anchors.

First is a section of pvc longer than your auger diameter.  Drill a hole for a rope at the center of the pvc, then on one side cut a slot to allow the rope to fit inside the pvc from the halfway point to one end.  Place it down the drilled hole and then pull the rope from the slot forming a T between rope and pvc.  But you need to chip it out when you are done.

Second was to use a barn hinge that, when fully opened, is wider than your auger diameter.  It requires welding a heavy screw to each end of the hinge and a ring in the center.  Drill a partial hole into the ice, but not all the way through.  Drop the hinge down the hole closed, and then when you lift the rope (attached through the loop), the hinge will open and jam into the sides of the hole.  The harder you pull, the deeper it bites.  Push it down to pop it out.

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2009, 07:37 AM »
The wood...metal..etc.  and rope trick works. I use to do that until I bought the screw in ice anchors. All I had to do was when cleaning out other holes with my scoop I would make sure I would clean the holes out with the homemade anchors.That way they don't freeze and you can use them over again. I don't take a drill out for starter holes for the ice anchors...I have no problems getting them started and turned into the ice to hold. I would rather just screw in couple anchors then have to drill more holes with my auger. Although I only have a manual auger...lol     Also....WELCOME!!!!!!   Great site...great people and alot of knowledge here and even a good joke now and then........ :laugh:
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2009, 07:53 AM »
I have Eastman anchors and I have zero probs screwing them in and that is with arthritic hands. I do sometimes need to give the screw a good wack into the ice first but they go in real easy.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2009, 08:05 AM »
You need to find someone with a band saw, that can cut a slot in a socket. then put a socket extentsion in socket then in cordless drill.

Offline nswiken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2009, 09:21 AM »
That sounds like the ticket. 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2009, 11:24 AM »
NSwiken,
   Welcome to Ice Shanty A lot of good information and people to be found on this website. This may help you go to the forum index and click on the Mirc Shanty forum. Once their look for a thread titled "Was up cold weather started by member Pooley " search between pages 45-50 you see a post by Chez Moose.It will show a home made ice anchor setting tool looks like her father in law welded two pieces of pipe to form a T then cut a slot in bottom of T to insert ice anchor plus some reinforcement pieces above the slot. (photographs in post will show what I'm trying to describe) I think this may give you more leverage to set anchor into the ice. you may still need to hammer anchor in to get it started.
   Steve

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2009, 02:35 PM »
If you are taking a drill with you anyways..........Rathe r than buying ice anchors I used 6" drywall screws with 2" plastic washers on the heads. The washers that you would use for attaching insulation to a basement wall, or foam for exterior stucco application. I work at a building supply yard, can ya tell?

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2009, 08:01 PM »
You need to find someone with a band saw, that can cut a slot in a socket. then put a socket extentsion in socket then in cordless drill.
Great idea, I am going to try thaT!

Offline duramaxdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2009, 08:06 PM »
My method 1/4 cordless dewalt impact driver and 4 5 inchx3/8 wood lags. use this method to anchor my shappell dx3000 screw into the corners of the holes that flip over inside the shanty

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2009, 08:10 PM »
These are slick as a warm buttered turd.

http://ultimateiceanchor.com/

They were my neighbors at the St. Paul Ice Fishing Show, I watched them do their demo about 1000 times. ;D They will even hold tight in mushy wet ice.

Offline JOBBER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2009, 01:00 PM »
I have only found this size so far. I plan to keep looking (and hopefully find) for larger.
http://www.mutualscrew.com/department/acoustical-eye-lag-screw-10237.cfm?refdep=Acoustical%20Eye%20Lag%20%28Screw%29

Offline nswiken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2009, 06:09 AM »
I think I figured it out.  I'm going to cut the head off a 1/4 or 3/8 lag screw to mount the screw in the chuck of my drill.  Pretap the hole, and then follow with the ice anchor.  I tried pounding one anchor in part way, and it just split the rubberized coating.  I also tried heating a screwdriver with a propane torch to push into the ice, but no go.  Everyone has offered great ideas.  Thank you.

Offline HawkEyeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2009, 11:16 AM »
I've got a shappell as well. All I did was put two 1/4" hole in opposite corners of the house. I then take two standard, cheap-o ice anchor style screws (the kind you can start with a hammer and then finish by hand screwing them in), knock 'em in with a rubber mallet and then twist them the rest of the way down.

I find that I only need the two anchors in opposite corner (front right, back left for instance). By anchoring the actual floor of the house to the ice there is absolutely zero sliding around even if the wind shifts directions. Previously I was just lashing the house's tow rope to the anchor but if the wind changed it would still push me around a little.

Offline nswiken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2009, 04:01 PM »
Well I finally got back out on the ice.  The lag screw worked pretty well, but when the tip ices up, it won't bite.  So I figured why not try a 1/4 drill bit for pilot holes.  That works great.  Instant hole, and follow with the ice anchor.  I even moved the house once, and it took about five minutes to shift all my gear and house about 60 yards.  Cold and east wind, but I managed to pick up 9 perch in a few hours.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.