Author Topic: walleye cooking/recipes  (Read 3553 times)

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
walleye cooking/recipes
« on: Feb 03, 2009, 06:53 PM »
how do you cook your walleye? also if you have a recipe to share please do.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
Re: walleye cooking/recipes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2009, 09:33 AM »
1/2 and 1/2 mixture of plain bread crumbs and white cornmeal. Mix in some garlic powder, little bit of papirika, and ground hotpepper-if desired.

Put mixture in a bowl or baggie, rinse off fillets in cold water, put them in the mixture, and than hot oil, brown both sides to a golden brown, and salt to taste. Be sure as with all fish, not to monkey around with it while it is frying, or you will break the fillets up in pieces. Just wait, till you see that the fillet is brown on the edges, then take and flip them. Naturally, if you have them in a fryer basket, this wont be needed, just wait till there golden brown......

You could use an eggwash, instead of rinsing the fillets, but it's not necessary. I usually put my fillets in a bowl with cold water, to prep them for the process.

This is my favorite recipe for fried fish...One other thing. If you have peanut oil to fry these, it only make them taste better yet.

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline tuff bass 2 catch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2009, 10:24 AM »
one thing I can say about salmon rebel......he can cook

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2009, 10:26 AM »
Franks hot sauce, butter, and a hot pan!

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:02 AM »
There must be an awful lot of TOP SECRET! :unsure: recipes out there. Because no one else is willing to share any recipes with this person :whistle: ;) 

Offline tuff bass 2 catch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:56 AM »
So then why dont you send them to him threw P.M. ;D

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2009, 11:16 AM »
Simple recipe, Seasoned flour(salt, pepper, lemon pepper, onion powder, garlic, etc... to taste), milk and egg wash. Put fillet in seasoned flour, drench in egg and milk wash, then back in seasoned flour. Fry til golden brown.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2009, 11:28 AM »
lets all meet at salmonrebels and barts for dinner!!!!

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2009, 03:36 PM »
I used to host a couple fish-fry's a few times a year. Now it's mainly just between a couple friends and family.

I have to say, that recipe Bart posted, is a very good one too. I have fried fish like that as well and still do, and it is OUT OF THIS WORLD! Whatever dry ingredient you may decide to use, you can pretty much experiment with some diff. seasonings to your own taste. It's a simple process,...as far as whatever you like, and that it goes together, it should taste good. You can't go wrong with the ingredients Bart posted though. They are perhaps the best for fish. Really when it comes down to it. Most recipes for cooking aren't hard to replicate, as long as the main ingredients are correct, and you cook it the way it is described.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2009, 03:49 PM »
So then why dont you send them to him threw P.M. ;D
Where's your favorite recipe?! :whistle: Oh!, I just remembered. You and your family come over my house when you want fish! ;D :laugh: Maybe next time, I'll just PM,..you! ;D, and tell you how good they were. :thumbsup: :laugh: :laugh: :-*

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2009, 12:44 PM »
One of my favorites happened by accident. I caught about a 6lb Walleye back in my bachelor days.My Grandfather was hinting for a fish dinner so I figured I'd do it up and have dinner with him. My cupboards were bare as usual All I could come up with was a small bottle of lemon juice, onions, and spices. I seasoned the fish with salt, pepper, garlic[the three basic food groups], it's all I had. I sliced an onion on tin foil, laid the fillets on it and covered it with more onion. I squeezed some lemon juice on it, wrapped it up good ant tight. I cooked it on a hot gas grill about 20 min turning frequently. When I opened it the onions were caramelized a golden brown and the fish was moist and flaky. With a couple glasses of Papa's homemade wine sitting on his back porch it was the best meal ever. I cook it this way a lot. Try it.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2009, 05:12 PM »
One of my favorite recipes for walleye is to place the just filleted walleye on to aluminum foil, put a spoon full of butter in the center of a 1ft square of foil.  Then sprinkle lemon-pepper on top of the fillets.  Make a tent with another square.  Place on your grill outside the shanty cook for 10 min.  Enjoy! ;D

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2009, 05:25 PM »
I like doing my salmon and steelhead fillets on the grill as well, like Corny and Doubles Shooter explained. Besides their ingredients. I'll also add Old Bay, and a pinch of cayenne powder to them. Excellent!

Offline Junior88

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Captain Insano Shows No Mercy !
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Try spreading regular mayonaise on both sides of the filet then fry in non stick pan until flaky. Not too bad if you dont want to mess with oil. I do like breaded and fried the best though.

Offline fish4kitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Frabill Trekker 2
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:30 PM »
For deep frying walleyes. If they have been frozen you need to use a drying agent. (Batter will not stay on the fillets) I use flour. I then make a beer batter using store bought seasoning. Can be from scratch but I prefer Cabelas mix and beer. Heavy or dark beer prefered for flavor. I then dredge my fillets through the flour(dust them) then into my beer batter then into the deep fryer(375).Cook until golden brown and eat. Consumption of remaining beverages are optional while waiting and during dinner. ;D
Having a crappie day and loving it!

Offline outdoor junkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's walleye time!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:57 AM »
light egg wash and then dip in instant mashed potatoes and fry till golden brown.  Pretty darn tastey.

Offline BlindIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2009, 07:52 AM »
I use about 1/2inch of peanut oil in a pan and then cut off about 1/2" of a block of butter. Don't put butter in till oil is hot. Butter just adds a bit of flavour. I soaked the fish in water then I put on McKormicks Citrus pepper (if not this lemon pepper. The citrus pepper has the rind of oranges and lemons in it, In canada superstore is the only place I have found it) to taste. Then I flour them and put in the pan. Enjoy!

MikeMiller

« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2010, 11:20 PM »
Simple recipe, Seasoned flour(salt, pepper, lemon pepper, onion powder, garlic, etc... to taste), milk and egg wash. Put fillet in seasoned flour, drench in egg and milk wash, then back in seasoned flour. Fry til golden brown.
(Image removed from quote.)

tried this reciep very very good every one loves it thanks for it

Offline keljay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2010, 05:06 PM »
Hey guys I haven't actually tried this recipe but I saw it on a fishing show a little while ago.
Take your walleye fillets and cut into strips. roll up the strips, and then wrap with your favorite bacon. fire up your bbq and place your walleye bacon side down turning often until bacon is crispy and walleye is cooked. The recipe reminded me of bacon wrapped scallops, looked pretty good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.