Author Topic: One Hole=20+ fish!!  (Read 2691 times)

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
One Hole=20+ fish!!
« on: Feb 18, 2004, 09:15 AM »
Never heard or seen this before. I would have never believed it if I didnt see it for myself. I watched these guys I know fish not even 75 yards from me this weekend and pulled 22 northern and pickerel out of one single hole on tip up. All size ranges. That doesnt include the ones that got away. It was nearly to the point of being obscene. You always have some hot holes where you might catch a couple but I have never witnessed anything like that. You guys have any explanation for such an event?
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: One Hole=20+ fish!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2004, 09:33 AM »
I know that it happens with the panfish species, I just find it strange that it happened with Northern and Pickerel. I have had days as well where I pulled 30lbs of perch out of one hole and that is even culling them ;) Not northern though ???
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2004, 09:35 AM »
Can you say GPS! Thats a spot to mark for sure. Never have I seen that many Northerns come from one hole.

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2004, 10:24 AM »
HONEY HOLE!!!!!  ;D

:'( :'( :'(
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2004, 10:32 AM »
The day I posted about the walleye spitting up their air bladder in deep water, my buddy and I caught almost 30 walleye in 45 minutes. Not all of them were keepers, but most were. We put all but a few back and they were yummmmy. There was a guy that followed us out that day and set up 30 yds from us and didn't catch a fish.  :(

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2004, 10:38 AM »
its happens alot more than some anglers talk about. if i told you how many northerns, walleye, and the odd perch have come out of one hole at the shanty this winter, i'd bet many might call me a liar, but its my honeyhole and i'm having the time of my life this year.  :P :P :P :P

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2004, 10:44 AM »
WVBoy,
I did not know they had ice on the tanks down at the ECHO Center. ;) ;D

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2004, 10:54 AM »
I was in a contest a couple of weeks ago. My buddy and I set our tip-ups a bit shallower than everyone else. I had tons of flags from one of my holes. My buddy had one tip-up that kept him busy. There were others in the party that didn't score even one fish.

Those two holes didn't catch the biggest fish but they sure kept us busy.

I wonder if some of the partiers in the group just set up there tipups without even drilling a hole under them. They were too busy depleting the supply of barley pop.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2004, 10:58 AM »
We used to take a trip to the Black Hills every February to ride snowmobiles and one day during the week we would go to Deerfield lake and catch us some trout to eat for supper. One year we were there and we had all of our holes in a line with 4 poles, one each. My cousin was on the left one, I was on the next one. My cousin's dad was on the next one, and my other uncle was on the far one. My cousin caught fish. His dad caught fish. Between the two of them they caught 9 each. All poles were rigged the same and we were all using pink samon eggs. My other uncle and I didn't catch a thing. Not one bite. We switched holes and they caught fish out of our holes too. We didn't catch fish out of their holes. Very strange... :( I began to think I was not a good fisherman. Since then I have seen it the other way too. I guess it was a good thing they caught fish or we wouldn't have been able to eat.  ;D

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2004, 11:10 AM »
And the GPS coordinates of this honey hole are................... ...................... ...................... ......? ;D

hard_waterer

« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2004, 11:28 AM »
I pulled 9 2lb to 4.5lb Smallies from the same hole a couple of weeks ago. People fishing all around me didn't have a snap. One of the boys droped his under water camera down to see what was so special. We saw an old 50 gallon float barrel open on one end down there. It was the only structure in that flat part of the  lake and the bass were hanging there. Lucky me for drilling right on top of it. :'(

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2004, 12:37 PM »
Good one Esox ;D Those GPS coordinates are........lets see here....nope cant find them ;D guess I will have to show ya!Thinking about it, when we were pulling up our tip ups my buddy yelled over to me to come and see something in the hole, by the time I got there they were gone but my buddy said that the hole was full of scuds and water bugs! Maybe that has something to do with it? My theory was that there might have been a spring or somthing near that attracted fish there, it was shallow water.

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2004, 12:59 PM »
Happens all the time. Common phenomenon.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2004, 01:45 PM »
I agree with slipbob in that it is a combination of habitat, weather conditions, time and food source. You may fish the exact location in exactly the same manner for the rest of you life and never get a fish out of it. On the other hand you may which is what makes this so interesting. :'(
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2004, 05:33 PM »
On the runway!   :'(
Reminds me of a couple years when back Big Pete hit one of these pike holes in 6 feet of water. He ran all day to only one of his 3 tip-ups, landed 12 and lost I dont know how many, that hole seemed to only put out 26" plus fish. Strange thing was that the lake was packed with 100's of pike fisherman and Pete was one of the few ppl that caught ANYTHING that day. Guy right next to where Pete was fishing was just dumb-founded, kepty asking Pete "what's your secret?"  ;D

I spend my whole winter looking for these holes. It's timing and drilling, helps to move a lot to increase your chances of finding one of these honey holes. Whether it be pike, walleye, perch, gills, bass or whatever. When something like that happens it's unreal.

-Scott

I agree with slipbob in that it is a combination of habitat, weather conditions, time and food source. You may fish the exact location in exactly the same manner for the rest of you life and never get a fish out of it. On the other hand you may which is what makes this so interesting. :'(
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2004, 06:18 PM »
last burbot fishing trip, one of my buddies didn't have any fish, i think he had one on, but for 4 hours he didn't have a fish on the ice, he drilled a new hole and caught 5 in a matter of 45 minutes, plus lost probably ten...i was maybe 25 feet away and i didn't have that kind of action.  he caught the biggest, but i caught the most for the night, and the biggest average size.  he caught up quick and i was real happy that he got into a honey hole like that.

canadarocks

« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2004, 06:29 PM »
Got 6 lakers out of one hole had a hole 5 feet away and same bait on it and not even a bite even moved over the lines and i was still gettign fish out of the same hole for a little it was fish after fish then it slowed down and then stoped and i went home there were two of us and my hole was the only one getting fish we were taking turns setting the hook 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.