Author Topic: burbot spawn  (Read 13402 times)

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
burbot spawn
« on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:49 PM »
does anyone have any info on where these fish go to spawn? deeper water, shallow water, weedy, muddy ,sandy,calm or fast. been trying to locate them but need way more info it seems.also any other burbot info would be appreciated. thank you.

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: burbot spawn
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:56 PM »
We  get them in 5 to 30 feet of water . We also chum . I find if you chum a little it will bring them in . For chum  fish gut , old hamburger, and the rest of the fish after we fillet  them  just chop them up a bit
hook and cook

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:51 PM »
As far as i know they head for shallow muddy areas to spawn, usually late in winter, end of Feb to march here i do believe but not positive
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2009, 07:26 PM »
^^^^ i beleive you are correct.  they spend their days in very deep water (up to 80 ft) and come up to the shallows (10-40 ft) for a week or so before they spawn to eat alot. i think you are best off between 20-40 ft.

eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:37 AM »
Thats where we get most of them here, 20 -40 feet, but they will come shallower, ive got them in 5-7 fow over march break, a guy got one yesterday fishin a pickerel tourny in 12 fow
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2009, 11:41 AM »
Thats where we get most of them here, 20 -40 feet, but they will come shallower, ive got them in 5-7 fow over march break, a guy got one yesterday fishin a pickerel tourny in 12 fow

I'm sure the time of year has allot to do with the depth they are in but my dad just caught his first one on 2/8/09 (Here in Michigan) and we where fishing for lakers in 160fow and he pulled up a 5 lb pout. We thought it was just kinda a fluke thing but then we talked to a older guy who is a local and he fishes them in 140fow so I guess it wasn't a fluke  :-\ .

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2010, 03:25 PM »
In Lake Winnipesaukee the fish come up to the rocky shore line up shallow at night in the winter to spawn.  :tipup:

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2010, 01:13 PM »
I would set up in around the migration route that bottle necks into the shallow mud bays of the lake.  Still these fish can be anywhere in any water column and typical underwater island humps are still good spots to camp on.
For more information read my MN nice journal

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2010, 06:48 AM »
From First ice to the march warm up, I jig for them on high rocky humps and set the cusk traps near rocky shores and lake inlets. When the warm days / cool nights start, I target shallow water mud flats. I know one thing though, they are Wicked Cannibals, many times, I've caught big Cusk by them swallowing the smaller Cusk that were hooked first ! :o

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2010, 05:33 PM »
It seems on the one particular lake I fish for burbot, they start moving into there spawing location by late Feb, and by the beginning of March they are getting quite aggressive around the spawning areas, and whack most lures that are in their area.

It seems that the beginning to mid March is the best time for them here in Sask. Watch for the Full Moon.

In this area they seem to target points of land with a rock rubble mix, throw in a little bit of current and your set. ;)

When they are not yet ready to spawn they patrol the edges and the tip of the points and deeper water surrounding the spawning are looking for food and potential mates.

The actual spawning usually occurs at night, in shallow water.

WW

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:15 AM »
Can they be caught this time of year??

Offline Ice Freek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:49 AM »
We got a limit at holter the other night. yes you can catch them this time of the year!

Offline sbooy42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2011, 03:41 PM »
Just get'n ready for burbot here in MI... I dont know why but the lake we fish we find them in 60 fow spawning on moss beds... but this lake is also 300' deep

surflizard

« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2011, 06:35 AM »
Got out on a rocky island during the full moon this week and got into them pretty hard. Lots of dinks and a few better ones. Fishing in tee shirts or not, :o ;D  Great friends, Great fishing and cold yings = Great times !

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:12 AM »
 awesome fish surf, you guys'll be eatin good.

they should be going after the full moon here now.  i think i'm going to go out for a night of winter camping within the week and see if i can get a few.

Offline tapsboy68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:38 PM »
in upper michigan we get some spawners in the rivers in early december. A lot of guys i know will go trap them. But then we also get spawners in late feb and early march on lake superior. Best beat is go put some chum down and they will come. Try chumming a hole for 2 or 3 days. They will be eating there for sure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.