Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819665 times)

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #330 on: Nov 13, 2011, 04:24 PM »
Couple of ?'s i currently pull a jet sled by hand loaded with my stuff when i go ice fishing. I don't have a ATV or snowmobile, so for those who are like me. If i built this sled and put my jet sled on top, does it make pulling my gear onto the ice easier. I also just bought a new Eskimo pop-up so my sled is getting full and I'm looking at other options B-4 to avoid buying a bigger jet sled. Also how does the sled pull if there is new snow. Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated.
With just 2 skies literally on the ice/snow, you have less "drag", thus pulling easier, skies are way more slippery than the bottom of a dull plastic bottom of any jet sled. I put probably 75lbs of stuff on mine and you wouldn't know it.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #331 on: Nov 13, 2011, 04:39 PM »
did try 2x4 but i had it flat rather than vertical. 2" was better than draggin the sled. 4" would have been better. went 6" as i thought this would be better in the deep snow. can't compare with the 4" since i did not try it, but the 6" works great.
idtrout - i drag mine by hand as well. my sled is loaded with a 25# power auger, 2 gallons of water in the minnow bucket (20#), the rest of my gear + junk + food/coffee (10-20#). pulls like a dream! almost like draggin an empty sled.
can't thank Smitty enough!
'

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #332 on: Nov 13, 2011, 10:07 PM »
Couple of ?'s i currently pull a jet sled by hand loaded with my stuff when i go ice fishing. I don't have a ATV or snowmobile, so for those who are like me. If i built this sled and put my jet sled on top, does it make pulling my gear onto the ice easier. I also just bought a new Eskimo pop-up so my sled is getting full and I'm looking at other options B-4 to avoid buying a bigger jet sled. Also how does the sled pull if there is new snow. Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated.
I also pull by hand..  and just as other has said..  the "smitty Sled" makes things so much easier..  the ski's glide on the ice / snow.  the only time I get bogged down is when going through deeper snow as I made mine from 2x4's, So I only have about 4" of clearance.
    I built a "portable" hard side which also sits on ski's.. over 100 lbs and it is pretty easy to pull.. even for an out of shape, older guy...
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=154057.msg1506422#msg1506422

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #333 on: Nov 14, 2011, 07:18 AM »
hey, beaverfishing - how heavy is that thing loaded? pretty neat looking. hole in the floor for jiggin?

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #334 on: Nov 15, 2011, 03:31 PM »
It weighs around 100 pounds..  loaded weight would depend on what all you wanna bring with ya..  1 pound propane tank ..or a 20 ? ....food , beer, gas / hand auger ??.. it all adds up..

If I had it to do over I'd use 3mm as opposed to 5mm   It would be a bit lighter.... but there again I'd probably make it bigger too,  which would off set the weight savings...
The "box" with the doors doesn't have a bottom.  leaves plenty of space for a cpl holes. 

Offline The Busdriver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #335 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:21 PM »
I Built my Smitty sled this weekend.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #336 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:59 PM »
Looks good.. but wondering if ya shouldn't taper the auger holder so the snow doesn't catch on it..

Offline The Busdriver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #337 on: Nov 16, 2011, 06:16 AM »
Yes, I have thought about that.  Good eye by the way, thanks

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #338 on: Nov 16, 2011, 08:04 AM »
I Built my Smitty sled this weekend.

(Image removed from quote.)
Looks great Busdriver!
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #339 on: Nov 20, 2011, 08:38 PM »
When mounting to skis, how far out in front of the sled do you want them to stick out? And do you cut them shorter so the skis are not so long?
jbird68

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #340 on: Nov 21, 2011, 12:33 PM »
When mounting to skis, how far out in front of the sled do you want them to stick out? And do you cut them shorter so the skis are not so long?
I cut about 6" off mine so they would fit in my car, don't do it if you don't have to, as far as skis sticking out in front, 2/3 of skis of mine are out front give or take, you want more weight on back end and not nose heavy, this will help keep the ski tips up, see pics of 1st post of this thread. Hope this helps. Smitty

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #341 on: Nov 21, 2011, 01:12 PM »

Good question. I am not sure where to place them but I went about 12" back from the tips of the skis. If I find it dragging too much I will move them back.
<===Lefty===

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #342 on: Nov 21, 2011, 04:20 PM »
Well I got mine built today but need to make a few modifications. I need to cut the angle on my riser. I tried with my circular saw but the boards are only 12" long and I didn't have any way to hold on to the board while cutting it. I have a pair of Rossignol skis just like smitty. I located my first riser on the letter "I" in Rossignol. I'll post pictures when I get them.

I used 2x6's for the risers and I found a board that was 1 7/8"W x 1 1/8 Thick for the Bridge. I have to find a rope and some straps or bungees to hold my sled on top.
jbird68

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #343 on: Nov 21, 2011, 04:56 PM »
Nice JOB BusDriver. Do you have any closer shots. Fish On!

Offline Homemade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #344 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:14 PM »
I'd like to add my smitty-esque sleds to this great thread. I built two interchangeable platforms to attach to the same set of skis.

Sled 1. For dragging out the Shappell 3000dx (or just feeling real patriotic)

Sled 2. For lightweight running and gunning

Jbird: I have about 12" from ski tip to upright. The longer the skis the easier they will slide. Your vehicle being the determining factor.

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #345 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:23 PM »
Love it Homemade my man ;D
Great looking sled !!

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline Homemade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #346 on: Nov 21, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Thanks iwantone.
Just a quick tip for those wanting to build their sleds on uprights higher than 2 x 4... say 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 but are concerned with added weight (as Smitty rightfully pointed out). You could always skelotonize the wider lumber and add thin side panels to keep the snow out. On mine I used a hole saw but kept material in the center where the bolt goes through. I then glued 6mm side panels to it.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #347 on: Nov 21, 2011, 06:42 PM »
I'd like to add my smitty-esque sleds to this great thread. I built two interchangeable platforms to attach to the same set of skis.

Sled 1. For dragging out the Shappell 3000dx (or just feeling real patriotic)

Sled 2. For lightweight running and gunning

Jbird: I have about 12" from ski tip to upright. The longer the skis the easier they will slide. Your vehicle being the determining factor.
So do you bring along cut down cross country ski poles and just sit on the second sled and push yourself around? Just kidding. Looks great.
<===Lefty===

Offline The Busdriver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #348 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:29 PM »

I hope these will work for you Panfisherman,  I would be glad to take some more pics and post if you would like.  Tight Lines

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #349 on: Nov 22, 2011, 05:04 PM »
Thank's Busdriver. Fish On.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #350 on: Nov 22, 2011, 06:28 PM »
These sleds are really getting good. No doubt Smitty hit on a dynamite design here. This is like the ultimate in icefishing technology because they are cheap, easily built by nearly anyone, and can be modified to meet the needs of just about everyone. Whenever I see one of these I'll know it's another Iceshanty.com person out there.
Keep the pictures coming.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #351 on: Nov 22, 2011, 06:34 PM »
I think I paid the most for nuts and bolts. ($8)

Skis were donated from a friend.
Wood I had left over from a deck project and stuff in the garage from when we moved in.

I haven't shortened the skis yet. I am going to try them out at full length first.

jbird68

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #352 on: Nov 22, 2011, 07:29 PM »
Getting ready to build my first Smitty Sled, couple quick questions for everyone -

I found a set of old kid's XC ski's in the garbage that look like the perfect length, but they've got that traction cut in the middle for kicking off. 

Would it be better to use them, or just use some bent up conduit that I've got laying around?  I'm still looking for a free set of downhill ski's.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #353 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:13 PM »
anything on XC skiis for taction should have no effect on moving forward

Offline flyfisherman83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #354 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:22 PM »
love it i am making one like this now

Offline cherokee545

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #355 on: Nov 24, 2011, 04:17 PM »
Well it was so nice here in Illinois today I decided to make a sled also. Who knows when I will ever get  to use it with these warm temps we wont have ice any time soon. Thanks for the design Smitty.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #356 on: Nov 24, 2011, 06:08 PM »
It is still warm here too. I will be building mine this weekend.  We get deep enough snow up here that I am going for12" of clearance below the platform.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #357 on: Nov 25, 2011, 02:25 PM »
Everyone's doing a great job! Keep it up! Smitty

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #358 on: Nov 25, 2011, 03:23 PM »
is this the longest running thread, or what! Nice going, Smitty!. awesome!

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #359 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:22 PM »
TTT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.