Author Topic: Jiffy Auger Cutting Problems !!  (Read 8265 times)

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy Auger Cutting Problems !!
« on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:04 AM »
I have a Jiffy model 30 3HP , when I tried to use it the first time this year it would set and spin on the ice but not cut in so I figured the blade was dull and bought a new ripper blade and installed it , I took it out last night SAME THING it just sets there and spins so I thought maybe I installed it wrong,but after looking at directions again it is correct, so I thought maybe I bent something , every thing looks good , I'm baffled and PO'd anyone ever experience this or have any suggestions ??? THANKS ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
Re: Jiffy Auger Cutting Problems !!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:07 AM »
Call Jiffy. Im thinking the cutting head angle is off. I know with hand augers that if the angle is off even a lil bit, they won't grab the ice

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:57 AM »
Check the chisle point and you may have to push down on the augar to get it to dig. they dont usually dig by themselves.

Offline Kozfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just a second...I'll get the Calmer Downer
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2009, 11:00 AM »
has it got the new stealth digger blades?  If so make sure they;re not gumming up with slush...use pam on them

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2009, 11:21 AM »
Check the chisle point and you may have to push down on the augar to get it to dig. they dont usually dig by themselves.
Thanks , maybe I should of said that I have owned this auger for 3yrs I  know how it's suppost to work but its not , and wondering why ?

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2009, 11:31 AM »
I have had my Jiffy for about 7 years and started having the problem late last season and the first time this year. I put new ripper blade on it but it still cut slow. So I ended up putting a sharper edge on the chisel point last night and Im hoping that will do the trick. The chisel point was jagged and dull after years of use. I will let you know the reults after I use it. Good luck.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2009, 11:38 AM »
thats wierd try shimming with pieces of pop cans to increas the angle...

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2009, 12:01 PM »
I have had my Jiffy for about 7 years and started having the problem late last season and the first time this year. I put new ripper blade on it but it still cut slow. So I ended up putting a sharper edge on the chisel point last night and Im hoping that will do the trick. The chisel point was jagged and dull after years of use. I will let you know the reults after I use it. Good luck.
Guess i never even considered chisel point  :o :o let me know if it helps ! just baffles me the cutting blade is 11/2 in below bottom pan so it shoul cut  ??? ??? ???

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2009, 12:52 PM »
Look in your Jiffy manual and it should tell you how to sharpen the cutting point. If the cutting point is dull (which it probably is) it will not cut and not allow the chipper to dig into the ice. Shimming the ripper blade really won't do anything because the angle is ground into the cutting edge and I don't think the ripper is your problem. The Model 30 is not a stealth model. Sharpen the point properly and give it a shot.

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2009, 01:00 PM »
Look in your Jiffy manual and it should tell you how to sharpen the cutting point. If the cutting point is dull (which it probably is) it will not cut and not allow the chipper to dig into the ice. Shimming the ripper blade really won't do anything because the angle is ground into the cutting edge and I don't think the ripper is your problem. The Model 30 is not a stealth model. Sharpen the point properly and give it a shot.
Sharpening right now  ;D ;D it was dull ,hope this helps , thanks for help fellas   ;) ;)

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2009, 01:02 PM »
the model 30 3hp is a tank it should cut without pushing. My buddy has one and some times you have to lift up on it becuase its cutting to much!!
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2009, 01:38 PM »
Not trying to be funny, but did you put the new blade on correctly?
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2009, 01:41 PM »
Not trying to be funny, but did you put the new blade on correctly?
My first thought , went back to instructions to be sure ,yep just like picture !!

Offline idontcare312

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to die fishing!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:50 PM »
Had similar problem last week and i sharpened the point,blade and had to straighten the base. Seems that some how it was bent a little and the angle was a little off.

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:33 PM »
Going out tomorrow and will let you know how sharpening the chisel point changed the drilling,if at all. :tipup: Have to think positive.

Offline timtman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GET ER DONE!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:50 PM »
Not to sound like a smart ass but some jiffys run counterclockwise due to the gear box. My buddy had this problem and the blades are very close but not the same, just a thought. VERY tough to sharpen your own and get the angle right, I do the resharpen swap deal with the local dealer and it's cheap and it works!!
Keep the wind at your back the sun in your face and only drink beer when your alone or with someone!!!

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:55 PM »
Going out tomorrow and will let you know how sharpening the chisel point changed the drilling,if at all. :tipup: Have to think positive.
thanks man! I sharpened mine today but won't be able to get out till Thursday be looking for your results !! Mine was extremely dull and rusted !

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Sharpened the chisel point on the auger and it made a world of difference. It grabs the ice and I hardly have to put any pressure on it. Hope it works for you!!

Offline Smitty4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2017, 05:55 PM »
Call Jiffy. Im thinking the cutting head angle is off. I know with hand augers that if the angle is off even a lil bit, they won't grab the ice

The problem with your auger it is bent on the bottom, I had the same problem went and got a level and ran it on both sides of the diamond pilot point. The side of the blade was bent so a clamped it in the vice on the diamond point standing straight up. Got a bigger hammer and punch hit it a few times and checked the level agian and it was good. I also sharpened up the diamond point with a fine file. Checked blade it looked sharp but took it in and they sharpened it up, the place that sharpend it up was in Selkirk, these guys awesome they would help anybody with a problem. So I took it out to the lake and man did it cut, didn't have to push on it it was just like when I bought it, it cut amazing.

Offline LingEater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2017, 12:18 AM »
I had the same problem with an 8 inch ripaper blade and it turned out that is was defective. The tip of the cutting edge was flat along half its length.  I exchanged the lemmon ripper blade for a new one and it cut like new.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.