The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Grand Traverse Bay  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Grand Traverse Bay
« on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:01 AM »
Just wondering, does anyone fish this bay through the ice? What kind of fish can be had there? I know Saginaw bay gets hit heavy by people looking for walleye and perch. I have never really given much thought about fishing here.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
Re: Grand Traverse Bay
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:08 AM »
Just wondering, does anyone fish this bay through the ice? What kind of fish can be had there? I know Saginaw bay gets hit heavy by people looking for walleye and perch. I have never really given much thought about fishing here.

NBG
when it freezes its good for perch whitefish lakers burbot browns anything you would normally catch. thing is it hasnt froze in like 3 years. I think it will this year I went by it yesterday and it was starting to freeze over.

Offline tubebait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:21 AM »
thing is it hasnt froze in like 3 years.

I fished the east bay and bowers harbour last year.  it was late in the year, (i think late feb. early march) by the time we got out there.  Its freezing up faily good so far, but i haven't checked the ice yet and the sheet hasnt made its way out very far into deeper water...

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:55 AM »
I fished the east bay and bowers harbour last year.  it was late in the year, (i think late feb. early march) by the time we got out there.  Its freezing up faily good so far, but i haven't checked the ice yet and the sheet hasnt made its way out very far into deeper water...
I useually go on vacation in march so that must have been when you got out there last year. I dont ever fish bowers harbor did you catch some whitefish out there?

Offline tubebait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2009, 11:00 AM »
I useually go on vacation in march so that must have been when you got out there last year. I dont ever fish bowers harbor did you catch some whitefish out there?

We didn't spend much time out on bowers, only an hour or so...ill prepared and it was WINDY and COLD...i marked some fish but didn't catch a thing.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2009, 01:19 PM »
Must be a lot of current cutting through there. Is there a lot of warm water coming out of Elk Rapids?

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2009, 01:32 PM »
Must be a lot of current cutting through there. Is there a lot of warm water coming out of Elk Rapids?

NBG
No. Its just real deep and we always have that north wind so the water never really stays still long enough for it to lock up. Plus it breaks up so easy. I was out there a few years ago on 8 inches of ice. went back 2 days later and the ice was gone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.