The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: bait holding tanks  (Read 4691 times)

Offline skully

• Team IceShanty Regular
bait holding tanks
« on: Jan 22, 2009, 07:18 AM »
would like some feedback on what everyone uses for tanks  my son {hes ten}wants to start a little bait bussiness just wandering the best way to keep them also any info of how to trap or to find good spots to trap   not looking for anyones spots just the best way to find them    thanks    scot

Offline speedyrower17

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: bait holding tanks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2009, 07:21 AM »
i use an old cooler with an aerator and a fish tank aerator we have a few dozen in the tank...

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:24 AM »
new 55 gallon plastic drum on its side works well, with a aerator and circulation pump through a filter..  search for "bait tanks" on this forum and you will see some..  you will have to be the bait seller though, and you will need to get a wholesalers liscense from the state..  as for trapping, brooks, beaver ponds, etc, hand full of dog food in a wire torpedo trap 4-6 feet inder the ice. 

Offline Bigmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:07 AM »
What type (brand) of circulator pumps does everyone use for their bait tanks. I want something that will work well without breaking the bank?

Thanks

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2009, 11:34 AM »
I use a 25 gallon half drum with 2 airaitors and just change the water... I workes better if you store them in the water from the pond you caught them in... don't use town water if you have it.  You should be all set with well water though.

Offline skully

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2009, 12:07 PM »
new 55 gallon plastic drum on its side works well, with a aerator and circulation pump through a filter..  search for "bait tanks" on this forum and you will see some..  you will have to be the bait seller though, and you will need to get a wholesalers liscense from the state..  as for trapping, brooks, beaver ponds, etc, hand full of dog food in a wire torpedo trap 4-6 feet inder the ice. 
thanks blaster ,yeah i know i need i dealers license any idea what they cost?

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2009, 02:36 PM »
I think it's 12$... could be wrong

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:30 PM »
whole salers bait liscence was I though 30 bucks.. Check IFW website under liscenses

Offline pikeslammer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2009, 04:30 PM »
its 26 bucks i just got mine
FLAG! haha just kidding

I went down to the sporting goods store and got a new rod and reel for my wife.....pretty good trade, don't ya think?

Ketchup and grease instead of catch and release

"Hey, ya gotta flag, oh, wait, it went back down."

Offline joeybutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2009, 05:55 PM »
would like some feedback on what everyone uses for tanks  my son {hes ten}wants to start a little bait bussiness just wandering the best way to keep them also any info of how to trap or to find good spots to trap   not looking for anyones spots just the best way to find them    thanks    scot
this is what we use...an old chest freezer in my unheated garage. the water filters through fiberglass insulation.the pic shows pillow stuffing but i dont think it works as well as fiberglass. hope this helps.

Offline skully

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:01 PM »
this is what we use...an old chest freezer in my unheated garage. the water filters through fiberglass insulation.the pic shows pillow stuffing but i dont think it works as well as fiberglass. hope this helps.(Image removed from quote.)
nice set up what do you have for a pump

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:13 PM »
here's a setup I made this year . The same bait is still going strong and the water is crystal clear . http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=89456.15

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:09 PM »
nice set up what do you have for a pump
here is mine.. Top tank has Smelt or sea smelt or smalls in it, Bottom is for all the rest..  ( Last years photo)  The filter on the floor is a Pond filter with charcoal media in it,.  the pump is a 500gph Koi pond fountain pump.. I bought off a guy on Ebay (the pump man) or something like that..  was around 20 with shipping.
here it is

Offline BeautifulMamaLacy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • REEL WOMEN FISH
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:19 PM »
here is mine.. Top tank has Smelt or sea smelt or smalls in it, Bottom is for all the rest..  ( Last years photo)  The filter on the floor is a Pond filter with charcoal media in it,.  the pump is a 500gph Koi pond fountain pump.. I bought off a guy on Ebay (the pump man) or something like that..  was around 20 with shipping.
here it is
(Image removed from quote.)

Mr. Bob the Builder!

Really neat!!  :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline skully

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2009, 05:22 AM »
thanks guys for all your input excellant work on all of your tanks really impressed with all of the different ideas   now to get a dealers license and let the boy have fun with it he is really into it    he fishes with me every day i go

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.