Author Topic: how do you eat your whitefish  (Read 14996 times)

Offline islefish

• IceShanty Rookie
how do you eat your whitefish
« on: Jan 22, 2009, 12:44 AM »
i caught a whitefish the other day and was wondering how you eat em.....i was thinking of freezing it and asking my dads friend to smoke it...

I think i might go for them more now as they are a fun fish to catch...there fun to sightfish, and i thought it was a sucker because they have brown backs lol.. :D

Offline Logan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "Ling King"
Re: how do you eat your whitefish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2009, 02:33 AM »
smoaked, baked or fried in fish crisp.
My wife told me that if I go ice fishing again she'll leave me. God, I'm going to miss her! :D

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:12 AM »
I put my vote in for smoked also!
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline ReformedWestCoaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2009, 09:14 AM »
Another questions for the whitey experts.  I caught a few this year and all had worms in a bad way is this an edible fish or not?   Personally I made strips to use fishing

Offline mark_edmonton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2009, 11:57 AM »
I may be wrong, but pretty sure that is illegal.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2009, 12:11 PM »
Roger   will just leave the remains for the fox in the neighbor hood then,  question can you use cisco for bait if you catch them??

Offline shepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • aw ...give the fishy a kiss.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2009, 12:54 PM »
off topic but yeah its illegal, this is from the regs....I dont know what you're supposed to do if you discover your fish is diseased. call F&W and ask i guess.

The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned.

Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.

NOTE: Smelts and herring are of the saltwater families Osmeridae and Clupeidae. Use of the freshwater species cisco (Coregonidae), also called tullibee or lake herring, is prohibited from use as bait.

ps dont shoot the messenger  :-\.....peace

and if ever catch a whitefish ....bring out the smoker!
Jen
CAN'T.....STOP....FISHING. ...

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2009, 01:01 PM »

Jen
[/quote]

No worries thanks for the info.  I consider myself Informed 8)

Iam still curious though do the worms matter??  I am not very hungry after looking at that much growth in my fish.  it was riddled with the worms.

Also how are cisco for smoking since I have some to use up now??

Offline walleyewhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2009, 01:07 PM »
where were you catching the whites
most of the white fish from the northern lakes will carry worms
i know that utikama whitefish have worms or some other disease, 
when ever they net utikama you can see the massive piles of whites because they dont keep them
hastings hero

Offline islefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2009, 05:54 PM »
ya, i think i'm gonna freeze a bunch and smoke em when icefishing season is over... :P

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:27 PM »
we were fishing Marie lake.   My buddies fish were clean me no such luck.  I know now and will not bother targeting them again..  That is okay I picked up a nice walleye today.  yummy...   grill is on now  :)

Offline QuantumPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing at a Quantum Level
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2009, 05:11 AM »
Eat mine in the fish patties that the ball and chain makes.  Smoked whitefish sounds interesting
I can....jig it, rip it, pop it, crank it.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:10 AM »
Eat mine in the fish patties that the ball and chain makes.  Smoked whitefish sounds interesting

yeah!  Fish burgers or patties are great.  You do have to try smoked as well.  I use apple or alder chips but any type would probably be great.

Here is the recips for fish burgers.  It is awesome!  It is not mine originally but I have changed the cooking method a bit.

---------
8 whitefish fillets, crumbled up
Dijon mustard 1 tsp
Green onions 4 chopped
Red Pepper Sweet 1/3 chopped
Salt, pepper, garlic powder
Cayenne pepper 1/8 tsp
Lemon zest
Lemon juice 1/2 lemon
Crackers 8 crumbled fine
Egg 1
Corn flake crumbs
Butter and vegetable oil

Mix up everything except the corn flakes, butter and Vegetable oil. Form into patties (squeeze them to help them stick together) and coat with the corn flake crumbs. Heat the butter and vegetable oil till it is hot. Fry the patties till golden brown. Do not overcook. Serve with lemon, soya sauce and or seafood sauce.
---------

One thing I have changed is that I do not use the butter or vegetable oil anymore.   They have a tendency to soak up the oil and become heavy with it – tastes great but a recipe for heartburn.  Instead I exclude this part and simply BBQ them on top of tin foil, or, cook them in the oven.  Use non-stick spray on the tin foil.  I would say 350 degrees for maybe 10 minutes tops.  BBQ probably about the same time.  They should be larger cooked at this point so it is really just a heat through and toasting of the outside part.  Much better and much less fat!

Also need to mention that the recipe does not include, the fillets should be pre-cooked.  I salt and pepper them lightly and cook them maybe not quite fully – remember they will be cooked again.  Let the fillets cool before mixing in with the rest.

Another alternative is to serve on a whole wheat bun with a slice of tomato, maybe some salt and pepper, and tartar sauce.  Wow!

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:21 AM »
I have never caught a white.

they are full of worms?

this is normal?

good luck
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:31 AM »
None of the white's I caught last year on Sylvan had worms. I've always been under the impression that it tends to be a problem that is contained to certain lakes, not entire species. I do know that that there is a part of the fish's guts that looks like a bunch of worms when you gut them, it kinda freaked me out the first time, but I later found out that it is normal to the fish.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:41 AM »
cool, thanks for the info.

I probably will never catch one...lol, but I already have enough worms ...with the KD I ate in school.  I just wanted to make sure..my one little worm' wouldn't have any competition.

guess I might keep trying for them..

good luck!!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline Dogboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2009, 10:52 PM »
off topic but yeah its illegal, this is from the regs....I dont know what you're supposed to do if you discover your fish is diseased. call F&W and ask i guess.

The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned.

well I think most people will say that worm infestid flesh is not edible

Offline Mississippi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2009, 11:38 PM »
Agree Dogboy, I ain't eating fish with worms.
Anybody Seen Any Catfish??

Offline beergut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2009, 12:42 AM »
thats why you cook it. to kill the worms.

Offline fishhunter77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2009, 02:25 AM »
I have a big Chief smoker that takes forever.

If you can find a butcher shop that will smoke them to your liking that is great.  Some will leave them moist and others to dry. Just gut and behead the fish.  Castlan's from Sherwood park used to do a tremendous job.  They only use to charge about $1.00 per pound.  I think they are just outside of Uncas now.  I will phone them during the week as next weekend I will be seeking Whites.

Smoked whites with a few beers and some friends to watch the big game on Saturday nights on CBC is the way to go.  My daughter will not eat anything else.

Offline shepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • aw ...give the fishy a kiss.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2009, 01:59 PM »
i havent met a smoked fish I dont like...prob could smoke a sucker and I'd eat it :laugh:

I had some great smoked whitefish at the sawmill buffet...."when" i catch some I'd love to try smoking them myself.....but yes little chiefs take 4 ever...I think i'll get a bradley next year
CAN'T.....STOP....FISHING. ...

Offline Rumtan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2009, 02:08 PM »
There is a butcher shop in the Ottwell shopping centre that also will smoke your fish....90th ave and approx 60st

Offline fishhunter77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:52 PM »
Thanks Rumtan for the information.  I will be going out for whites next weekend..

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:37 PM »
I built a smoker out of an old camping BBQ and some sheet metal. Isn't the prettiest, but it does the trick. Plus it cost me less that $30 to make! I take between 3 and 4 hours to smoke my fish, depending on the size, but the end result is worth the wait.

Offline big Monkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:58 PM »
With a fork brother!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 31, 2009, 06:26 PM »
I love smoked fish...any kind....I did not like baked whites...seemed greasy...

I am Looking to make an old file cabinet into a smoker.

It's a four drawer....I am a handy cat.

Any suggestions?

Offline tchow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 31, 2009, 06:54 PM »
None of the white's I caught last year on Sylvan had worms. I've always been under the impression that it tends to be a problem that is contained to certain lakes, not entire species. I do know that that there is a part of the fish's guts that looks like a bunch of worms when you gut them, it kinda freaked me out the first time, but I later found out that it is normal to the fish.

Extra protein, especially when eaten as Sushi... ;D ;D
Found that alot of the larger Whites have worms in Lakes like MacGregor and Gull. Have not seen any for Sylvan, but then again, these are smaller Whites being caught. Lots of info available such as this one:

http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/tan/x5951e/x5951e01.htm

Offline perchfinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2010, 12:51 PM »
i havent met a smoked fish I dont like...prob could smoke a sucker and I'd eat it :laugh:

I had some great smoked whitefish at the sawmill buffet...."when" i catch some I'd love to try smoking them myself.....but yes little chiefs take 4 ever...I think i'll get a bradley next year

hahaha i did try fresh smoked sucker in northern sask and tasted pretty good! just didnt like the thought of eating sucker especially when we were hammering so many walleyes on the ice.

whites are tasty from my smoker but any that have worms are wasted :tipup:

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:02 PM »
Anyone have pics of these nasty worms?

I remember the first white I caught...the intestines that kinda look like worms....or whatever part that was........AHHHHHHHHHH H!!!

LOL.

Cheers!!

Offline John AB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2010, 03:01 PM »

Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.

NOTE: Smelts and herring are of the saltwater families Osmeridae and Clupeidae. Use of the freshwater species cisco (Coregonidae), also called tullibee or lake herring, is prohibited from use as bait.

Jen

I'm not a fish cop so don't quote me but the first part of the above section states  "The edible flesh..." therefore I would say that a fish full of parasites could be considered "inedible". Throwing away or disposing of parasitic fish should theoretically not be against the law. Again I'm not proposing that everyone start throwing away wormy fish on my say so but personaly I would do it & challenge a charge on those grounds if it became an issue. I've been hospitalised before due to food borne disease & I can tell you that no one can convince me that cooking up some parasitic worms will make it okay.

On a less contraversial note, smoking is definately the best way to enjoy a few nice whities!
I fish therefore I am...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.