Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Gearcor | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Oct 02, 2014, 10:29 AM

Fly the Team Iceshanty Flag! New 2x3' flags in the Iceshanty Proshop

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?
The Iceshanty Ice Fishing Alberta Board Is Sponsored By

Author Topic: how do you eat your whitefish  (Read 3036 times)

shepike

• Team IceShanty Regular

• aw ...give the fishy a kiss.
Re: how do you eat your whitefish
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2009, 12:59 PM »
i havent met a smoked fish I dont like...prob could smoke a sucker and I'd eat it :laugh:

I had some great smoked whitefish at the sawmill buffet...."when" i catch some I'd love to try smoking them myself.....but yes little chiefs take 4 ever...I think i'll get a bradley next year
CAN'T.....STOP....FISHING. ...

Rumtan

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2009, 01:08 PM »
There is a butcher shop in the Ottwell shopping centre that also will smoke your fish....90th ave and approx 60st

fishhunter77

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:52 PM »
Thanks Rumtan for the information.  I will be going out for whites next weekend..

CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:37 PM »
I built a smoker out of an old camping BBQ and some sheet metal. Isn't the prettiest, but it does the trick. Plus it cost me less that $30 to make! I take between 3 and 4 hours to smoke my fish, depending on the size, but the end result is worth the wait.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

big Monkey

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:58 PM »
With a fork brother!

ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #25 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:26 PM »
I love smoked fish...any kind....I did not like baked whites...seemed greasy...

I am Looking to make an old file cabinet into a smoker.

It's a four drawer....I am a handy cat.

Any suggestions?
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

tchow

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #26 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:54 PM »
None of the white's I caught last year on Sylvan had worms. I've always been under the impression that it tends to be a problem that is contained to certain lakes, not entire species. I do know that that there is a part of the fish's guts that looks like a bunch of worms when you gut them, it kinda freaked me out the first time, but I later found out that it is normal to the fish.

Extra protein, especially when eaten as Sushi... ;D ;D
Found that alot of the larger Whites have worms in Lakes like MacGregor and Gull. Have not seen any for Sylvan, but then again, these are smaller Whites being caught. Lots of info available such as this one:

http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/tan/x5951e/x5951e01.htm

perchfinder

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:51 AM »
i havent met a smoked fish I dont like...prob could smoke a sucker and I'd eat it :laugh:

I had some great smoked whitefish at the sawmill buffet...."when" i catch some I'd love to try smoking them myself.....but yes little chiefs take 4 ever...I think i'll get a bradley next year

hahaha i did try fresh smoked sucker in northern sask and tasted pretty good! just didnt like the thought of eating sucker especially when we were hammering so many walleyes on the ice.

whites are tasty from my smoker but any that have worms are wasted :tipup:

ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #28 on: Jan 01, 2010, 12:02 PM »
Anyone have pics of these nasty worms?

I remember the first white I caught...the intestines that kinda look like worms....or whatever part that was........AHHHHHHHHHH H!!!

LOL.

Cheers!!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

John AB

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2010, 02:01 PM »
off topic but yeah its illegal, this is from the regs....I dont know what you're supposed to do if you discover your fish is diseased. call F&W and ask i guess.

The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned.

Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.

NOTE: Smelts and herring are of the saltwater families Osmeridae and Clupeidae. Use of the freshwater species cisco (Coregonidae), also called tullibee or lake herring, is prohibited from use as bait.

ps dont shoot the messenger  :-\.....peace

and if ever catch a whitefish ....bring out the smoker!
Jen

I'm not a fish cop so don't quote me but the first part of the above section states  "The edible flesh..." therefore I would say that a fish full of parasites could be considered "inedible". Throwing away or disposing of parasitic fish should theoretically not be against the law. Again I'm not proposing that everyone start throwing away wormy fish on my say so but personaly I would do it & challenge a charge on those grounds if it became an issue. I've been hospitalised before due to food borne disease & I can tell you that no one can convince me that cooking up some parasitic worms will make it okay.

On a less contraversial note, smoking is definately the best way to enjoy a few nice whities!
I fish therefore I am...

bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict

• He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 01, 2010, 04:03 PM »
Smoke them.  They are a problem to keep lit, but depending on the paper, you can toke them down to a roach.  Seriously, I smoke them with Saskatoon wood.  I have tried a lot of other woods for smoke, but have settled on Saskatoon.

kinwashkly

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:36 PM »
smoked

GummyMonster

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:37 PM »
Good day,
Good to see more albertan's on here .I've been hovering on here for a couple years but still am a new member.
HELLO!

Regarding the parasites in whites:
The worm like structure inside the fish cavity is part of their digestive tract.
The parasites in the flesh are NOT harmful to humans, but are unsightly, cut them out before you cook if you wish.
Cooking well done so to speak, can't hurt, just like other meat.
There is a very good article in either western sportsman or alberta outdoorsman about this.
I will try to find it and report back.
I'm sure if we knew about the tiny parasites in most food, many people would stop eating ;D, it's just  that we can see these.
Hope this helps and good to talk to you all
Ken

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Gearcor | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved