Author Topic: Late Season Ice (READ This)  (Read 2530 times)

cat

Late Season Ice (READ This)
« on: Feb 15, 2004, 12:53 PM »
     As the weather turns warmer we must all turn our attention to worsening ice conditions.  Now I know it is still a ways off, but I must post this.  Three years ago this march my older brother Johnny went through the ice and died of hypothermia.  He was on his ATV and travelled some distance to reach his fishing party coming from the opposite direction.  He fished all day and took his same path that he took earlier in the morning back towards home.  Well the weak ice and the afternoon sun made the ice even weaker, and he went through and could not get out.  I guess the biggest thing I would like to stress which has been stated before in other posts is safety.  Since his death I have since purchased ice picks, PFD, and a water-proof case for my cell phone.  Johnny had none of these things to help him get out should he fall through, and I know he probably thought he would never need them. He obviously did things wrong that may have changed the outcome.  Never travel alone, let someone know where you are, and not having something to help you get out or at least keep you afloat till help arrives using a cell phone that was protected by a water-proof case.  If you don't have what you need to help you get out, GET IT KNOW!  This post was not intended for any sympathy, I'm hoping to pass this personal account to you fellow anglers in hopes that you and your families have you all around for many enjoyable ice fishing seasons to come. Think of them next time you ponder the decision of whether to buy a $50.00 PFD or $10.00 ice picks, I hope you or I never have to use them.  Good luck to you all and happy fishing.
                            CAT

trapperdirk

Re: Late Season Ice (READ This)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2004, 02:16 PM »
 Your point can't be stressed enough Cat . I have done my share of swimming while trapping and as a rule have been alone . I have the safety rigging that you speak of except the cell phone but guess where it usually is . Not where it should be, but thanks for the post and I will try harder from becoming a statistic .

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2004, 04:28 PM »
thanks for the heads up. and everyone be carefull but not freakishly carefull that you can't have fun cause thats the whole point isint it?

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2004, 05:37 PM »
CAT, A LITTLE SYMPATHY ANYWAY, IF ITS OK. THAT IS A TRAGIC STORY,ONE WE CAN ALL LEARN A LITTLE SOMETHING FROM,ABOUT THE THING  WE TAKE FOR GRANTED. I LOST MY BROTHER TOO HIS COMMERCIAL F/V WENT DOWN OFF THE COAST OF MAINE AND WE ALL MISS HIM DEARLY.  GOD BLESS AND THANKS

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2004, 06:46 PM »
I wear a Streans bomber floatation jacket, picked it up on line for 125.00 and it is a very warm jacket. I wear it faithfully and come ice out I wear it trolling.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2004, 06:54 PM »
i am embarassed to say i didnt know they had them any links to check them out?

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2004, 08:28 PM »
This may sound funny, but i learned this trick from an elderly inupaq eskimo up in Alaska that has been through the ice many times and swears by it.  He has two large spikes(nails) tied to string throught his coat sleeves.  (just like little kid mittens)  He says it has saved his life a few times. Cost him about 3 dollars!

hard_waterer

« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2004, 08:47 PM »
That water is way too cold for swiming

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2004, 07:20 AM »
Thanks Cat for reminding us all on this topic.  You and your family deserve some sympathy even to this day.  Such a topic must be very difficult to bring up much less posting on a public forum.  So, that said, my deepest sympathy to you and your family over that tragic event 3 years ago.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2004, 03:39 PM »
 Safety should always be first when it comes to being on the ice! 45 years ago on I went under along the edge of a pond ,  but managed to crawl back up and out! 2 years ago I started ice fishing and enjoy it with a passion. Common sense will tell me to get off the ice before it becomes too thin. Life is worth more than a fish!

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2004, 04:41 PM »
I have the ice picks around my neck EVERY TIME! I dont care how thick you know it is.Or think you know it is. Or was. I've been under, alone, at 5 a.m.  You do that and youll buy picks, too. Oh, by the way. The brite orange ones from H.T. Tackel DONT FLOAT! Nuetral at best, they sink slowly while you panic in the water to find them. Drill 1" holes in them and glue some styrofoam in the butts. :'(
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2004, 06:52 PM »
Hey Old fart  just checked mine and you are right   they do not float  thanks for the info.  I also carry a 25' length of rope in  the pickup on the ice to toss to somebody if they need it. Never had to use it but is a good idea to have along rather than fall through yourself trying to pull somebody out with your hand on bad ice.
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2004, 09:41 PM »
Cat, you have my sympathy also. I too lost a brother but to open water. He never had a chance to get on the ice with me. I lost a good fishing buddy. Anyway I think too many guys are afraid to admit to wearing pfds on ice. I would like the jacket style but have also been looking into the waist belts. Good post on the HTs. I thought they floated. Anybody own a waistbelt or jacket, any info or links would be apreciated!
There is no fish worth a life!!!

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2004, 05:41 AM »
2 Dogs-  Youd think they would have made picks that float, wouldnt ya? Then you dont have to get close to someone else in a hole. Just throw your picks to them. If they miss the toss, they would float and he could find them in the water. Hmmmmm. I'm going to have to look into "Ice Shanty" brand picks.  Ones we make and market to members. Could save a couple of lives a year.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

cat

« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2004, 03:13 PM »
Hardguy-  I own a waist-belt PFD that I bought from Cabelas.  It is a Stearns  USCG approved, cost about $75.00.  Comes with the belt and re-arming kit which consists of two CO2 cartridges, one you pack the device with and the other is used as a backup.  It's pretty light and you'll forget you have it on.  Cabela's 2004 Master catalog Spring edition has a couple different options from the waist-belt to the chest model, ( I think there called SOSPENDERS).  Check out Cabelas on-line and you should be able to view what you need.
                                   CAT

Reelinrolly

« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2004, 03:39 PM »
Cat....deepest sympathys go out to you...this is a very important topic that everyone needs to be aware of....it doesn't matter how thick the ice is...you never know what can happen....my buddy and i were out just last week on a body of water we are more than familiar with....we walked all about talking to guys....there was a good foot of ice everywhere.....we started walking back to our vehicle and the ice started giving out from underneath our feet....it just goes to show you that anything can happen when you out there.....weve fished here for years.....and ice can go from two feet to an inch in the matter of feet...so everyone be careful....ive got my floater suit....and  don't go out without it....except for that day...ironically...I didn't go through but my buddies foot did...scary stuff...tight lines boys...and play safe

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2004, 06:59 PM »
Thanks Cat, I will check out Cabelas.

jiggsfrigid

« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2004, 10:19 AM »
Thats a tough loss, sorry to hear of another ice fisherman gone through. Albeit weak ice is an inherent danger of the pass time/addiction we take part in, it doesnt have to be a fatal concern. With a few simple devices we can provide ourselves, our families and our bait shop owners the peace of mind that we'll be back. Fish On

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2004, 07:06 PM »
Well said cat. I am sorry to hear about your loss. You can never trust ice. i have seen vehicles go through 3 ft of ice at the end of the season. Thank you for the reminder and take care.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2004, 07:25 PM »
I also have my spikes around my neck all season ! Don't want to ever use them
but if so they are attached and ready. Another good item(s) to have along are long 8-10' 2"x6or8"s,plenty of uses there. ^ boards will get your truck out of those "situations" will all seem to get into every once in a while.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.