The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Thomaston Smelting  (Read 1840 times)

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
Thomaston Smelting
« on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:15 AM »
Anyone ever try smelting in Thomaston....I drove by there this morning and there was easily a dozen or two shacks.....I've lived around here for 7+ years and haven't tried it yet......Need to fix up a shack to do it.....but thought I'd see how they run there first.......Would be nice to only have to drive 4 miles down the road to smelt instead of an hour down the road.....

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Thomaston Smelting
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2009, 10:12 AM »
I'd take that as a NO.... :blink:

Offline blueFLAG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:48 AM »
sorry i have no answer for you. but is that a chessie or a choc. lab in your signature?

Offline BeautifulMamaLacy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • REEL WOMEN FISH
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2009, 12:17 PM »
sorry i have no answer for you. but is that a chessie or a choc. lab in your signature?

Chessie!  ;D

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2009, 12:31 PM »
Chessie.....his name was Moose....he was a GREAT ice fishing buddy....we now have a yellow and a black lab....and 10 lab pups...you interested?

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2009, 01:14 PM »
adam just put the 4x6 out there and give it a try.. use a propane lantern for the race hole light
you will probably need a chainsaw to cut the race hole or you will be chiseling for awile

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2009, 01:29 PM »
adam just put the 4x6 out there and give it a try.. use a propane lantern for the race hole light
you will probably need a chainsaw to cut the race hole or you will be chiseling for awile
Yeah thats my plan....I think I'll rig a shack up for next year....maybe that 6x7 I have.....This year I might just borrow a pop-up and try it that way....

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2009, 01:35 PM »
im no expert on smelting or where to find them there MDH, but about 6 years ago, i was part of a crew that put in a aluminum multi-plate culvert where weskeag stream crosses buttermilk lane. the stream wasn't very wide there, but it was pretty deep, specially high tide. maybe worth a look-see?
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2009, 01:42 PM »
im no expert on smelting or where to find them there MDH, but about 6 years ago, i was part of a crew that put in a aluminum multi-plate culvert where weskeag stream crosses buttermilk lane. the stream wasn't very wide there, but it was pretty deep, specially high tide. maybe worth a look-see?
Hey thanks for the info.... :thumbsup:

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2009, 01:47 PM »
no prob, lemme know what ya find out there! i know that when we were pumping the water out from the coffer dam that we built, you could walk over where the discharge pipe for the pump was and see all sorts of neat little creatures.
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline blueFLAG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2009, 02:01 PM »
nice looking dog! how old is he? i have a 1 1/2 yo chessie named gunner! what a hyper dog! i love him but he never, EVER gets tired!     quick way for me to make a raceway is to drill about six holes spaced three inches apart then chisel the ice inbetween. works pretty good

Offline tcfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:51 PM »

Blue Flag that you Jesse?
i ain't scared

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2009, 05:00 PM »
adam you should just go and do that..  set up the clam.... drill 2 holes and fish with 2 jig poles.. and see what ya get.. 8)

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2009, 05:11 PM »
I've dipped smelts quite a while back out of the stream under rt1 near the Knox mansion, with decent results

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:36 PM »
nice looking dog! how old is he? i have a 1 1/2 yo chessie named gunner! what a hyper dog! i love him but he never, EVER gets tired!     quick way for me to make a raceway is to drill about six holes spaced three inches apart then chisel the ice inbetween. works pretty good
I had to put him down a couple years back due to cancer.....one of the toughest days of my life.....I adopted hime when he was 5 from a Chessie Rescue......he was a very loving dog and loved to cuddle.....

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • REEL WOMEN FISH
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:46 PM »
I had to put him down a couple years back due to cancer.....one of the toughest days of my life.....I adopted hime when he was 5 from a Chessie Rescue......he was a very loving dog and loved to cuddle.....

:'( I miss Moose!

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:07 PM »
yeah and he used to love to breathe in your face and drool down the back of your neck while riding in the back seat of the truck....  PANT PANT PANT PANT PANT PANT!!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:09 PM »
mdh smelting is pretty dry dowm there right now :'( ill let you know if it picks up  8)and i have access to a shack down there 8)

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • REEL WOMEN FISH
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2009, 10:04 PM »
mdh smelting is pretty dry dowm there right now :'( ill let you know if it picks up  8)and i have access to a shack down there 8)

Count me in too!  ;D

yeah and he used to love to breathe in your face and drool down the back of your neck while riding in the back seat of the truck....  PANT PANT PANT PANT PANT PANT!!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

He was always good for that!  :roflmao: And also known for crotch sniffin'!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.