Author Topic: Auger Drill adapter conversion kit  (Read 5824 times)

Offline bigJ108

• Team IceShanty Regular
Auger Drill adapter conversion kit
« on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:21 PM »
These are the things that allows you to use your cordless drill to power your auger.  Has anyone used one these?  anything to say about them? I have my doubts.

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Auger Drill adapter conversion kit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:39 PM »
id say great if you like to jig, but proly not so great if you fish with traps alot or with more than one other person
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2009, 01:04 PM »
A guy fishing next to me had one and he was zooming through the ice.  You NEED a good drill. Not a crappy cheap walmart one.
I'm talking 18 volt Milwaukee, Dewalt, Makita..
I'm going to make one for next year, my batteries are old and dead though.

Offline Philover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2009, 01:56 PM »
I bought one from a buddy that was selling a couple of years ago. Seems like it was 20 bucks. I love the thing. But I rarely drill more than 15-20 holes, and I have only used it on a 5 inch lazer auger. I have a Firestorm drill I got at Lowes with 2 batteries and have never used up both. Depends on thickness of ice, size of hole you want etc. But I really like mine.
Phil

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:02 PM »
Hey, Try to make your own. I used 1- 5 inch machine bolt (size to your auger handle) 1 nut welded on top of that and 1 large Allen wrench,welded into the nut cost about $1.oo for the bolt and nut. had the wrench. Works good with 19.2 drill from Sears. Make sure it is tight in the drill,because if it falls out. GOODBY. AUGER.
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:10 PM »
Hey, Try to make your own. I used 1- 5 inch machine bolt (size to your auger handle) 1 nut welded on top of that and 1 large Allen wrench,welded into the nut cost about $1.oo for the bolt and nut. had the wrench. Works good with 19.2 drill from Sears. Make sure it is tight in the drill,because if it falls out. GOODBY. AUGER.(Image removed from quote.)

Just cut out a disk bigger than your auger and slide it on the shaft below the nut before installing the auger.
Then if it falls out of the chuck the disk will stop your auger from sinking to Davey Jones' locker.  ;)
A piece of aluminum or masonite, even 1/4" plywood would work.

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:25 PM »
Just cut out a disk bigger than your auger and slide it on the shaft below the nut before installing the auger.
Then if it falls out of the chuck the disk will stop your auger from sinking to Davey Jones' locker.  ;)
A piece of aluminum or masonite, even 1/4" plywood would work.
I used a piece of plastic 1/2 inch thick and cut it to 7 inches, Auger is 6, so it works. but thanks. everyone builds a better mouse trap.As the saying goes. ;D
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:22 PM »
They bind up alot and kill the battery in your drill. they take for every to drill a hole if you have over 6 inches of ice

Offline bigJ108

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:27 AM »
Well i am still not sold either way.  I have an 18 volt firestorm drill with 2 batteries and a 14.4 volt dewalt hammer drill with 4 batteries.  obviously i have enough battery life to do the job but you guys scared me by saying nothing less than an 18 volt.  my 14.4 has more power and torque than the 18 though so i just really dont know.  thanks for all the help guys.

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:43 AM »
I use a drill attachment I bought off craigslist, works great.
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/spo/994897904.html
I drill about 30 holes in 12in to 16in of ice per batt. I use a lazer 6in my friend uses a 6in mora.
Here are some pics of it:

http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:53 AM »
i have a craftsman hammer drill 18 volt on a 6 inch lazer i bring 2 batteries and keep them warm the drill will get like 60-70 holes at 5-6 inches of ice and very fast

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2009, 12:12 PM »
I use a drill attachment I bought off craigslist, works great.
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/spo/994897904.html
I drill about 30 holes in 12in to 16in of ice per batt. I use a lazer 6in my friend uses a 6in mora.
Here are some pics of it:
(Image removed from quote.)

sharpen that disk  for more on the ice fun   lol   actually Im suprised it is metal    When I bought one 4 or so years ago the disk was made of plastic
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Specia1Ed

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got Pike?!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2009, 12:20 PM »
I got back into ice fishing after a 15 year absence because of the drill adapters for the auger. I'm a big fan of items that are multipurpose, especially if they are expensive.

I bought the "Nimrod" adapter at a local Gander Mtn. - about 20 bux. I use an 18v Milwaukee Hammer drill as my home cordless drill. This drill coupled with the nimrod, and using my 5" Mora is the cats ass man. I was drilling through 7 inches of ice right next to a guy with a new gas Jiffy auger, and I was getting out 2 holes for every 1 hole he drilled. I drilled about 30 holes that morning and only used up 1 battery. New sharp blades on your auger that must be 6" or less, and fully charged WARM batteries is how you can harness the power from a good drill.

Use the internet and find the icemaster adapter. They have an ingenious design to keep your auger above the ice. That would be my reccomendation to someone looking to get their first one, or use your creativity and duplicate their design.

Support our [/color]returning veterans and the families of our heros and Patriots.

Offline bigJ108

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2009, 01:31 PM »
Hey, Try to make your own. I used 1- 5 inch machine bolt (size to your auger handle) 1 nut welded on top of that and 1 large Allen wrench,welded into the nut cost about $1.oo for the bolt and nut. had the wrench. Works good with 19.2 drill from Sears. Make sure it is tight in the drill,because if it falls out. GOODBY. AUGER.(Image removed from quote.)

What size bolt did you use?  i have a 5in and a 6in strikemaster mora.  i believe they are the same size because i can interchange the handles.  the only problem is i do not have my equipment readily available to me to figure out what size i need.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.