Author Topic: The warmest ice fishing boots  (Read 55367 times)

fishinwilly

The warmest ice fishing boots
« on: Jan 14, 2003, 06:23 AM »
Hey guys, Looking for a real good pair of ice fishing boots, If not the best. Now that I'm getting older, I'm losing circulation in my feet, my old boots don't keep my feet warm anymore do to this condition. I don't want to give up ice fishing for this reason only. There must be some really good boots for standing on ice all day. They all reccomend there boots are good for 25-30 below, BUT only if you keep moving! How about a boot where your standing on ice all day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

Fishinwilly  

Woodman

Re: The warmest ice fishing boots
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2003, 06:37 AM »
Lacross Ice Mans

Offline Smelt1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Run with the big dawgs,or stay on the porch!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2003, 06:38 AM »
Fishin Willy,instead of spending a lot of money for another pair of boots buy a good battery operated boot heater for your current ones.I've used one that goes inside a pair of ski boots that works extremely well.I had bought a pair of Lacrosse icemans 7yrs ago before they had ice kings.And found like you that after extended periods of standing or sitting on the ice my feet would get cold.So istead of spending another $150 for a better boot I bought the boot heaters for $50 instead.I also have ciculation problems due to diabetes but hav't had anymore cold feet.You can also try bringing a piece of carpet with you and placing it on the ice to form an insulation barrier between your feet and the ice.But if money is no object than there are alot of boots on the market that are rated for -120° and below.Just beware that they are big and bulky.
Bubba  

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2003, 06:39 AM »
Go to Cabela's and look at their boots.  They have boots that are rated down to -125 below and more.  Rocky makes some as well as LaCrosse.  I heard Ice Kings are good but I think they are rather bulky.  I have some boots that are a Cabela brand rated to -100 below and they keep my feet toasty on cold days.  They were $65 when I got them and I don't think they carry them anymore.  I do know that one of the manufactures make a boot that has ice spikes built into the sole of the boot that come out when you are walking on ice. I am not sure who makes them but they were on sale at Reeds in the store for about $50.  They were I believe rated to -100 below as well.  Cabelas may sell them but I am not sure.  If you have never purchased from Cabela's they have a real good return policy.  If for any reason you are not satisified with your purchase you can return it for a full refund any time.  When I order from them online I usually order three different pairs so that I can get the fit just right and then I return the two I don't want.  They actually will send you a return mailing label so shipping is free.

Hope this helps.

redsford95

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2003, 07:08 AM »
Well this young pup gets cold feet too and I fish in a flip style house.  I have asked about this topic and found that using a peice of wood to place my feet on help out alot I do not even wear a highly rated boot any more just a water proof one do to drilling the hole and getting wet.  I also use the wod as a scraper for the shaveings instead of my foot  ;D  

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2003, 07:22 AM »
For my money, Mickey Mouse boots are the way to go. From what I hear these were designed for pilots flying at high altitudes where it's real cold. They're getting kind of tough to find but if you contact your local army/navy store they might be able to help out. All I know is I've fished in -30 degree temps, for the whole day, and my feet were toasty warm.  

Offline Sturge1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2003, 07:33 AM »
Fishingwilly, before you spend the high dollar on boots try out some neoprene socks ( if your boots have room ). Put poly socks on before the neoprene and you will notice just how warm those old sorels can be. My socks have lasted for ten years and show no ware on them.
Just a thought.
Sturge

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2003, 07:33 AM »
M-I-C....C you on the ice....K-E-Y......Y because we love it.....M-O-U-S-E. :P ::)

but they are harder to find these days.
Rich Ferguson

RSQCAL

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2003, 07:53 AM »
:D Go to page 9 of the general chat section. There was a pretty good discussion on Mickey Mouse boots. The last entry of the discussion was 1/4/03, just incase the page has moved  :'( :'(

Grizz

« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2003, 08:08 AM »
I've had excellent luck with the sorel glacier boots. Very warm!!! However, I gave them to my son because they are hard for me to walk in-they came up to my knees. (I've got short Polock legs) He does all right with them with his long legs. I now have the Lacross Ice Kings and haven't even tried them yet-but bought them because of all the good things I've heard about them-and they have good support. ;D

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2003, 02:34 PM »
Like Mnfishman said. I have a pair of White Mountain Pacs from Cabelas but they quit making them because they were good but cheap so why sell them. Cabelas does have another good boot rated to very cold weather for $90 I beleive. With my boots I wear a regular tube sock and have never had cold feet not even once. Good luck. They may be somewhat clunky but I`d rather be warm and somewhat hindered than cold.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline icedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2003, 02:50 PM »
my vote goes to rocky snow stalker extremes best boot i ever wore!!

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2003, 04:15 PM »
Fishinwilly   Howdy,  I have had mousers for years but quit wearing them because they are so stiff and heavy. I use some plain snow boots and buy the packs of toe warmers, they stick to your socks and make your toes warm for hours. They only cost $1.50-2.00 a pair.  STAY WARM afishingfool

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2003, 04:08 AM »
I also have a pair of the Rocky SnowStalker Extremes and they are great, 1600 grams of thinsulate!  Light weight and WARM, it takes a little while to break them in.  I only wear one pair of light socks inside and have never gotten cold feet even after being on the ice over 12 hours.  

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2003, 04:42 AM »
my vote is the mickey mouse boots

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2003, 05:08 AM »
I use a piece of 2'thick blue styrofoam insulation,with a peice of carpet glued to it .You can make it any size,Mine is 2'x2'..Cheap and easy,Sit and put your feet on it.Take it in the house at night and dry out the carpet.It really works...good luck............

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2003, 05:13 AM »
My vote for warmest boots, and not the most expensive, goes to the LaCrosse Ice Kings.

Do not get them too tight. Use a polypropylene sock liner and a good wool sock.

This system works for me in weather well below zero.

Offline Smelt1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2003, 06:53 AM »
I would ask Barleydog up there in Alaska what boot those people that run the Iditorod sled dog race wear.I can't imagine that anyone here has to put up with what those poor folks go threw. ;)
Bubba  

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2003, 06:54 AM »
I know a few of the Iditarod guys use Steger Mukluks.

I have a friend who makes and sells mukluks. He swears buy them.

My brother-in-law has a pair of Steger mitts. they are very warm.

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2003, 07:41 AM »
Rocky Blizzard Stalkers for me.  Rated to -100 and they were $99.  Only problem I have had is my feet go too warm and would sweat bad and after 8 hours my feet got cold once.  I have been wearing wicking socks since and haven't had a problem, even on a 12 hour day on the ice.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2003, 09:36 AM »
I agree with Hard H20 on the Ice Kings. I've had mine for 8 or 10 years with no problems. They keep your feet warm and dry. The only drawback - and this is with any -80 or better rated boot-is the weight. Good luck! ;)
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2003, 09:40 AM »
I have never seen a really warm boot that did not have a bit of weight and bulk.

I await the day when someone comes out with a boot that will keep my feet warm when the temp is -30°F and is as light and nimble as a tennis shoe.

Offline Smelt1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2003, 09:49 AM »
Hard H2O, ice kings on the moon. ;D
Bubba  

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2003, 10:39 AM »
Lacrosse ice kings!!
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2003, 10:45 AM »
lacrosse buck masters -75 comfort rateing and not to bulkey with good ankle support so you can hunt with them as well. ;D

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2003, 11:00 AM »
Just purchased my second pair of Sorrels in 20 years.With those boots and some neoprene socks - keeps me warm and dry."Can't teach a old dog new fangled tricks"
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2003, 11:31 AM »
love sorels, always have. have a pair that are all rubber slip-ons with a buckle at the top, these are waterproof and very warm. i just found a new friend though, mickey mouse is my newest buddy. i spend alot of time on the ice and on the snomobubble....lol i got mine from the sportsmans guide catalog for 49.97, they are the valved style which i guess is better! i tell you what, with tese bad boys i can ride all morning and fish all night and not worry a bit about my toes falling off... thanks mickey mouse. your alright! ;D

sodakfisherman

« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2003, 11:53 AM »
By far I have to recomend "Mickey Mouse" the warmest and dryest my feet have been hae been in these boots. And the seem to last a long time as well.

jdr

« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2003, 01:25 PM »
Been using and selling Mickey Mouse Boots for well over 30 years.  There is not a boot that can keep up with them, even if cold water would spill into the boot it rapidly warms to your body temp.  You'll need only one pair of socks and believe me when the temps are in the 30's you won't even lace them all the way because of the warmth.  These weigh in at 7 #'s and are not the lightest boot but well worth it.  We have repeat customers from Alaska, Sweden, Norway and all the way to the Antarctic that use only these. For $40.00 you just can't go wrong.  As for the Dog Sled Team....we just sent an order of 40 pair to Kotzebue Alaska!!!

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2003, 01:32 PM »
The warmest pair is the pair that keep your feet dry. I just bought a pair of Sear's $50 cheapies that have been awesome. rubber all around with Thinsulate up top. Keeps the water and ice out and the heat in. Happy Feet......
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.