Author Topic: 10" auger options and ideas?  (Read 1139 times)

Offline mnhunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
10" auger options and ideas?
« on: Mar 18, 2016, 12:27 PM »
Thinking of getting a 10" auger for our trophy walleye trips, lost several large fish trying to get them up the hole and was thinking a 10" hole would help, and how does the Ion 10 work?

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 10" auger options and ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2016, 12:43 PM »
You will get far fewer holes per charge. Also will bind in hole more due to taxing the motor. ( not enough power for turning bigger drill when it sticks). Stick with the 8" if using an ion unless ice isn't very thick.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2016, 02:13 PM »

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2016, 04:48 PM »
You could maybe look into one of the propane units.  I have a buddy that picked one up and he likes it so far but he hasn't used it in real cold temps yet.  Seeing how you live in the south you shouldn't have any problems in my opinion.  Is there a reason you are not considering a gas auger? 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline dani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2016, 05:02 PM »
A lot of used 10" augers with few if any hours up for sale used. If you want cream of the crop go Nils, forget what negatives you read. They are awesome, I wouldn't hesitate for a second about getting one. Question is how bad do you need a 10" and how often are you going to use. If you say the next 30 plus years and a lot then it's the Nils and if only once in a while go for a good cheap used one. Just my opinion and way of reasoning , good luck in your purchase. D

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2016, 08:36 AM »
How big were these walleyes?  I had 2 26" Eyes on Mille Lacs this winter, and neither had any issues in a 8" hole.  Last one came through 22" of ice.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2016, 10:32 AM »
How big were these walleyes?  I had 2 26" Eyes on Mille Lacs this winter, and neither had any issues in a 8" hole. Last one came through 22" of ice.

If he's fishing around here than it's 3 - 5 feet of ice depending on year. And 28 - 33", 10 - 15lb walters.  Same with places like Erie. Lost far too many monsters when the 8" inch was my only auger.

To the OP, if only need it for one or two trophy trips, then buy a older used jiffy 10 as a second auger.  Although they're heavy they run forever.  I doubt you are walking out on trophy trips anyway.

Offline mnhunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2016, 11:55 AM »
We would be talking about walleyes 28-35 inches long and money isn't a concern, do have an 8" ion and strike master 4 stroke already.

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2016, 08:47 PM »
Strikemaster Lazer Pro 3hp with a 10" chipper flighting.  The chipper style blade is better if you have dirty ice.  This is all our group uses on Lake Winnipeg and that is 6 augers.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2016, 08:29 AM »
buy a older used jiffy 10 as a second auger.  Although there heavy they run forever. 
I'll echo that ^^.
Jiffy model 30, 31, or 34 with 3hp tecumseh engine. Find one that was well taken care of and run a synthetic 2-stroke oil. JMO.
It must be something in the water.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2016, 10:08 AM »
I'll echo that ^^.
Jiffy model 30, 31, or 34 with 3hp tecumseh engine. Find one that was well taken care of and run a synthetic 2-stroke oil. JMO.

Depends on the age of the Jiffy in question.

I'm running my Dads Jiffy purchased around 1972 (and still going strong).  A Jiffy tech told me NOT to run synthetic after all those years of regular mix oil.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2016, 01:43 PM »
2 stroke oil of today is much better than the old day oil.my 1970 jiffy 1 armed bandit been running great the last 7 years on full synthetic.less smoke and runs better on it than it did with the old dinosaur 2 stroke oil.nothing wrong with running synthetic oil in the old jiffys.

Offline dani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2016, 03:46 PM »
X2

If anything it is a lot better for engines to run on synthetic. Synthetic oil viscosity doesn't vary with temperature fluctuations.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.